None
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto

what other designations/ certificates should I take while studying CPA

Yo,

So here I am studying for the CPA but figured that I should take another certification as well while at it because the CPA studies are quite managable and allow me to have quite a bit of spare time. Any suggestions as to what certifications I can take? Ideally it would be something that I can finish within a year or two max and would be a great supplement to my career in financial analysis. Let's hear it!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3620 posts
1043 upvotes
Canada
do you even work in the related field to have "spare" time?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
Yo just focus on one at a time yo
or get CFA
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
yes...if you aspire to be middle/upper mgmt look into courses towards CFA or MBA......$$$$$$
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
badsha wrote: do you even work in the related field to have "spare" time?
I'm a financial analyst for an investment firm. my work is highly cyclical and for 6 or so months of the year there is a lot of downtime when I'm not dealing with financial statement preparation and audit work. So yes, there are times when I have a lot of spare time and I'm trying to figure out if I can do some other valuable studies during this time rather than just surf the internet.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
Washe wrote: I'm a financial analyst for an investment firm. my work is highly cyclical and for 6 or so months of the year there is a lot of downtime when I'm not dealing with financial statement preparation and audit work. So yes, there are times when I have a lot of spare time and I'm trying to figure out if I can do some other valuable studies during this time rather than just surf the internet.
how are you working for an investment firm without cpa, cfa? kinda seemd like minimum requirement to even work in business field nowadays
Did you graduate from Harvard? or is your parents partner of the firm?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
Washe wrote: Yo,

So here I am studying for the CPA but figured that I should take another certification as well while at it because the CPA studies are quite managable and allow me to have quite a bit of spare time. Any suggestions as to what certifications I can take? Ideally it would be something that I can finish within a year or two max and would be a great supplement to my career in financial analysis. Let's hear it!
I have a generally low opinion of "courses". What makes CPA valuable is that it certifies that you have at least 3 years of work experience, meaning you have at least rudimentary level of social grace and skills. The value of a CPA definitely does not lie in the knowledge they teach. Knowledge is not hard to obtain. And in real work situation, if you're the CFO and you don't know something, you'd probably hire the big 4 for consultancy.

I assume you are trying to keep busy to make your career as best as it can be. Let me give you some real tips on how to use your free time:
-Work out! A healthy body lets you function at your best. And believe it or not, looking good helps you with your career and other areas of life.
-Meet new people. We all hear about networking. Join meetings (could be CPA events). These are much more useful than courses imo. Real success comes from knowing people and knowing how to deal with people. Meet DIFFERENT people, not just copies of yourself.
-Read books. I don't mean Stephen King. Read non-fiction to hone your knowledge. Read "wide". Being knowledgeable about a broad range of topics makes you seem very sophisticated.
-Challenge yourself. Give yourself quests like try new foods. Or volunteer. Or learn to build a website. Travel to exotic countries.
-Learn a new language. Being multilingual makes you sophisticated. Also could come in handy if you're studying Mandarin or French.

IMO certifications don't do jack. The above things help you much more. Once you have a CPA, any certificate you get is dwarfed by your CPA anyways and nobody gives a damn about what you learned in some textbook. On the other hand you can really impress someone if you speak 3 languages, and have lots of "extracurricular" knowledge and experiences. It will make you stand out from other bean counters.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
Washe wrote: Yo,

Career in financial analysis?
You mean career in Finance?

You're in the right path getting your CPA to move on to become a Manager, CA/Director or CFO.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
JIB9022 wrote: how are you working for an investment firm without cpa, cfa? kinda seemd like minimum requirement to even work in business field nowadays
Did you graduate from Harvard? or is your parents partner of the firm?
lol. dude, if you have nothing of value to say just ignore the thread.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
BananaHunter wrote: I have a generally low opinion of "courses". What makes CPA valuable is that it certifies that you have at least 3 years of work experience, meaning you have at least rudimentary level of social grace and skills. The value of a CPA definitely does not lie in the knowledge they teach. Knowledge is not hard to obtain. And in real work situation, if you're the CFO and you don't know something, you'd probably hire the big 4 for consultancy.

I assume you are trying to keep busy to make your career as best as it can be. Let me give you some real tips on how to use your free time:
-Work out! A healthy body lets you function at your best. And believe it or not, looking good helps you with your career and other areas of life.
-Meet new people. We all hear about networking. Join meetings (could be CPA events). These are much more useful than courses imo. Real success comes from knowing people and knowing how to deal with people. Meet DIFFERENT people, not just copies of yourself.
-Read books. I don't mean Stephen King. Read non-fiction to hone your knowledge. Read "wide". Being knowledgeable about a broad range of topics makes you seem very sophisticated.
-Challenge yourself. Give yourself quests like try new foods. Or volunteer. Or learn to build a website. Travel to exotic countries.
-Learn a new language. Being multilingual makes you sophisticated. Also could come in handy if you're studying Mandarin or French.

IMO certifications don't do jack. The above things help you much more. Once you have a CPA, any certificate you get is dwarfed by your CPA anyways and nobody gives a damn about what you learned in some textbook. On the other hand you can really impress someone if you speak 3 languages, and have lots of "extracurricular" knowledge and experiences. It will make you stand out from other bean counters.
Thanks bro. Some real good insights. I was thinking about doing some SAP/ IT related stuff. or maybe some internal auditing certifications or maybe the PMP. Was just thinking up scenarios of how, in addition to the CPA I'm studying for, i can add more value to my human capital. But you do raise some good points!
[OP]
Nov 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
vkizzle wrote: Career in financial analysis?
You mean career in Finance?

You're in the right path getting your CPA to move on to become a Manager, CA/Director or CFO.
I guess I might have gotten the wording wrong. I'm a financial analyst for an investment firm (I do accounting analysis for them).
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
Washe wrote: lol. dude, if you have nothing of value to say just ignore the thread.
I was just curious, yo
anyways, CBV is probably where you wanna be heading or if you want something easy and quick, I heard CFE (fraud examiner) is pretty easy multiple choices;
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
Washe wrote: Thanks bro. Some real good insights. I was thinking about doing some SAP/ IT related stuff. or maybe some internal auditing certifications or maybe the PMP. Was just thinking up scenarios of how, in addition to the CPA I'm studying for, i can add more value to my human capital. But you do raise some good points!
Most of the certifications you mention require specific education and experience. Are you sure that you have the prerequisites down for what you are looking at?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
JIB9022 wrote: I was just curious, yo
anyways, CBV is probably where you wanna be heading or if you want something easy and quick, I heard CFE (fraud examiner) is pretty easy multiple choices;
Neither of these are easy or quick in any way, however, they are both highly valued.