Investing

What paid investment services are you using?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 11:43 pm
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
259 posts
157 upvotes

What paid investment services are you using?

There are lot of paid investment services out there, ranging from analytics tools to straight trade ideas and ready-to-use portfolios. If you are using (used in the past) these services, what are they and why did you pick them? What makes you believe your money is well spent?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1121 posts
463 upvotes
none. I invest to make money. not to make others rich (most of them are hacks anyway).
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
259 posts
157 upvotes
This thread is not to tell everyone that you are Warren Buffet and don't need any paid services to continue make billions. This is a thread where everyone can share their experience with good and bad paid services available out there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
6732 posts
8610 upvotes
I use FAST Graphs. Certainly worth the cost for me, since my portfolio has about 160 stocks, and I wouldn't be able to manage without a tool like that, which basically puts business results paired with price so we can understand quality and valuation at a glance.

I also use portfolio123, since I trade stocks based on algorithmic rules, and I like that platform to code my algorithms given the access to fundamentals and techanical info that they provide. Therefore, I also use it for detailed quality screening, since I that gives me access to datapoints on any fundamentals I want, including the ability to write my own formulas for different valuation and quality ratios or ranking. But it's designed to write your own algorithmic trading models, so if you just want a decent platform for fundamentals, FAST Graphs premium subscription, aligned with the free information available on the company's website is more than enough for the individual investor to research.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:
Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
259 posts
157 upvotes
rodbarc wrote: I use FAST Graphs. Certainly worth the cost for me, since my portfolio has about 160 stocks, and I wouldn't be able to manage without a tool like that, which basically puts business results paired with price so we can understand quality and valuation at a glance.

I also use portfolio123, since I trade stocks based on algorithmic rules, and I like that platform to code my algorithms given the access to fundamentals and techanical info that they provide. Therefore, I also use it for detailed quality screening, since I that gives me access to datapoints on any fundamentals I want, including the ability to write my own formulas for different valuation and quality ratios or ranking. But it's designed to write your own algorithmic trading models, so if you just want a decent platform for fundamentals, FAST Graphs premium subscription, aligned with the free information available on the company's website is more than enough for the individual investor to research.

Rod
FAST graphs is a great tool. Saves one a lot of time, which translates into money. In principle, one can find all information available through their platform from open sources. But it is so much more convenient and visually appealing to have all fundamentals organized on charts in progression.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
4596 posts
1321 upvotes
GTA
I use some paid services from the Motley Fool Canada, they have a lot of paid writers who will write on anything possible but two of my best investments recently SHOP and LSPD came after reading fool reports with other sources.

You will need other things in your arsenal but it’s a good piece to have as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4708 posts
5208 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I pay for FASTGraphs.

I also use ValueLine but I get that for free from the Edmonton Public Library.

I like YCharts too but I never pay for it - I just create a new email to get the 7 day trial every so often Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Keep calm and go long
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8799 upvotes
When I was younger I participated in a paid "stock picking" service that would provide you with reports on the stocks, their recommended buy and their recommended sell. They had a great marketing pitch and I was in a position to give it a try with $15K. One of the wise things I have been taught is that sometimes you cannot ignore the risky (note - not stupid) investments because of the huge potential upside. Invest a small percentage of your portfolio into the fringe areas - whether it was Bitcoin, Cannabis (before legal), or other strategies. At worst you lose 1% of your portfolio - and that's really just a small rounding of your net worth then.

Anyways - as I started to use the service I found it very valuable. Their insight and comments seemed to check out when I did my research and many of the companies they recommended had something going for them - it was not penny stocks. After spending a couple months on the fence (while paying for it) I started trading. I found if I stuck to their strategy the gains were significant - it was rare that I did not break even (10-15% of the time). And, sometimes it did take longer to hit the mark which means I lost out on investing it elsewhere.

I found one issue is that as the stocks went up I lacked the desire to sell. When I would go over the reasons for purchasing the stock that they gave, if they seemed good for long-term growth I thought "why would I flip it?". This was a bit against their strategy as they wanted quick(er) in/out of a stock to make money. They would often close out a trade if it didn't hit their target so that you could re-invest it elsewhere for a higher return. Sometimes this did bite me in the ass, and I held on to companies that I shouldn't have, likely by not doing my due diligence on them (complacency on it or when it went beyond their sell target holding on). IRYS is one I keep in my portfolio screen as a reminder - it was a $1000 lesson.

To this day I still have some of the stocks in my portfolio, and without trying to brag, I am now faced with the challenge of a massive capital gain if I liquidate them. Complete first world problem, but I want to sell them so that I can properly balance my portfolio without heavy reliance on some of these. Some of their recommendations have led to me still holding shares in companies like AMD, AtriCure, Marvell, SAIC, Zynga.

I lost the time to go through the due diligence on all their ideas, and I had a large sum tied up in stocks they recommended I was holding on to. Sure I was doing well, but I also realized I could simplify my strategy and lower my risk which met my goals as I no longer desired the risk that came with it. And, truthfully, I wasn't comfortable investing large sums in the strategy as I became complacent in my research and thought it best to cut it off. So I cancelled and they seemed to go away as a company and no longer exist (or at least not in the same niche). Now that some of their ideas have completely taken off (AMD is of course the big one - I think I am up 2800% having got in at $2.xx or $1.xx) I can see in hindsight how well they performed for me. It was the best $100/mo I have ever spent.

At this time I would love to find another service to replicate this. I know many people say "Why would someone give off their stock tips if they are that good?" but let's face it - there are a huge number of people like myself that would happily pay them $100/mo for their tips and it doesn't take long for that to add up. Is it risky? Oh indeed. But as I mentioned earlier - sometimes it's a good idea to invest a small percentage in risky ideas (the idea of someone doing the legwork is the risk) and I'd be happy to do so again.