Travel

What to pick? Biz class seats but arrive 7 hours later, or Economy?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 2:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2866 posts
254 upvotes

What to pick? Biz class seats but arrive 7 hours later, or Economy?

I am undecided on this....What does people think, would you take an economy flight if it means getting into a location 7 hours earlier, and save about $600 in surcharge?

I am trying to book a YYZ to DPS this christmas with Aeroplan miles. I am able to find a Biz tickets with YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS, with Turkish Air, but that gets me into DPS at 7pm.
However, I can also go YYZ-Shanghai on Biz with Air Canada, then Shanghai to Singapore with Singapore Air, on Economy (5 hour flight), then Singapore to DPS on Singapore Air on Biz, which gets me to DPS at 11am, giving me almost a full day in DPS. Where as Turkish Air I am 'wasting' my first full day.

Also, the Shanghai to Singapore flight is at midnight.....a part of me just want to suck it up, and take the economy and sleep through the 5 hours.???
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1356 upvotes
Scarborough
If vacation time is very limited and you wanna save time for over there as much as possible, take economy and get out early
If not go bizclass.
In winter leaving Canada we always try to get out international during daytime cuz u never know the weather.....earliest exit best
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25941 posts
3257 upvotes
Montreal
Shanghai you have clear immigration, collect your luggage and re check it and clear security again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2564 upvotes
Mississauga
I would book Turkish airlines. I heard you can use the lounge at Istanbul with Turkish Airlines Business class.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5473 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: I would book Turkish airlines. I heard you can use the lounge at Istanbul with Turkish Airlines Business class.
I've done Business on Turkish and I have to say the Istanbul lounge (at least as it was 4-ish years ago) is epic.

That said, the only Economy segment is 5 hours. I personally would be alright with saving the money and taking a shorter segment in Economy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8585 posts
1485 upvotes
Vancouver
Turkish airport has 4 hour tours of Istanbul. They even include breakfast and lunch and it’s free. A colleague just did it the other day.

The lounge is also brand new. But some say not as elaborate as the old one. They also have a bed system in the lounge but you need to be on turkish award or paid fair. 4-9 hour connections.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
commie wrote: I am undecided on this....What does people think, would you take an economy flight if it means getting into a location 7 hours earlier, and save about $600 in surcharge?

I am trying to book a YYZ to DPS this christmas with Aeroplan miles. I am able to find a Biz tickets with YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS, with Turkish Air, but that gets me into DPS at 7pm.
However, I can also go YYZ-Shanghai on Biz with Air Canada, then Shanghai to Singapore with Singapore Air, on Economy (5 hour flight), then Singapore to DPS on Singapore Air on Biz, which gets me to DPS at 11am, giving me almost a full day in DPS. Where as Turkish Air I am 'wasting' my first full day.

Also, the Shanghai to Singapore flight is at midnight.....a part of me just want to suck it up, and take the economy and sleep through the 5 hours.???
If you got the time go business if time is short go economy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
How long is the entire YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS trip? It seems like going to Bali via Europe seems a bit too much. If you're an airline freak who enjoys being on planes and checking out lounges, then the choice is obvious. But if you want the plane rides and the time dealing with airports as short as possible, then the choice is also obvious. I have a feeling you already know the answer to your question :)
Jan 31, 2007
438 posts
245 upvotes
The segment you are on economy means that you won't have access to the lounge (in this case Shanghai) for your layover.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10144 upvotes
Ottawa
This is long ass travel day and you will be bagged by the time you get there so, getting in at 7PM means you can get to the resort, have a drink or 2, unpack and hit the bed. Start great in the morning.....plus you are in the comfort of business class for that loooong travel day.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jan 31, 2007
438 posts
245 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: This is long ass travel day and you will be bagged by the time you get there so, getting in at 7PM means you can get to the resort, have a drink or 2, unpack and hit the bed. Start great in the morning.....plus you are in the comfort of business class for that loooong travel day.
Very true. Often overlooked but the concept of “an extra day” usually doesn’t work out because you’re bagged. Arrived in Mexico once like this on a red eye. Room wasn’t ready and we were too tired to go anywhere. Another time in Rome was like this. Hung out like vagrants.

In the lucky times I get to travel business class for international, I consider the flight itself an enjoyable part of the travel experience. Not so much with economy.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1368 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
I flew Singapore airlines from Osaka to DPS in Biz.

YYZ to Swiss - Swiss to turkey - turkey to shangain - shangain to Osaka - Osaka to DPS

I had days here and there in-between flight connections.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10144 upvotes
Ottawa
ysl5710 wrote: I flew Singapore airlines from Osaka to DPS in Biz.

YYZ to Swiss - Swiss to turkey - turkey to shangain - shangain to Osaka - Osaka to DPS

I had days here and there in-between flight connections.
What is shangain?
What does your post have to say about the question the OP is asking?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
No question, business class all the way. Think of how you would feel after sitting in that economy seat for 6+ hours in the middle of a very long day. You'll feel like you got the crap kicked out of you, and it will definitely impact your first days on the ground. The SIN DPS flight isn't long enough to get any meaningful recovery rest.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2406 posts
1182 upvotes
Ottawa
Temujin1 wrote: The segment you are on economy means that you won't have access to the lounge (in this case Shanghai) for your layover.
Not necessarily true. In Canada at least with Air Canada they will let you in the lounge as your economy leg was really booked business but none was available.

I would easily take the one segment in economy. The business to Shanghai will be lie flat and good for sleeping and the Singapore to Bali will let you get a few more zzzs so you can hit the ground running in Bali.