• Jul 24th, 2017 8:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3910 posts
1371 upvotes

What PoE AP to buy?

Using a R7000 that works great but need something with more range as currently the router is in the basement and want to keep it there.

I work in IT so feel free to get technical, was looking at Ubiquity or a mesh networking like plume.

Here are my requirements:

1.) Thinking single AP per floor totaling of two.
2.) Proper client handoff depending on floor. Android tends to hold on to whatever AP it connects to first.
3.) Something that supports PoE as I don't want to run power or a repeater.
4.) Is not cloud based or require special client software to operate.
5.) Probably going to keep the R7000 as a router or go the pfsense route.
6.) Is Wi-Fi Ac (1900mbps is fine).
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I personally like the Cisco Small Business Access Points., but they are quite expensive compared to Ubiquiti. Depending on how many Access Points deployed, you may not need a controller.

Ubiquiti is probably your best bet. Plume is great, but the software needs work
Mar 8, 2008
44 posts
13 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
I've been looking at the tp-link eap320 and 330...good specs and price.. Interesting style, lifetime warranty...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3910 posts
1371 upvotes
whatsitcalled wrote: I've been looking at the tp-link eap320 and 330...good specs and price.. Interesting style, lifetime warranty...
Quick google check shows it can be used with a controller but is that a requirement or it has a local web interface as well?
Mar 8, 2008
44 posts
13 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
JonSnow wrote: Quick google check shows it can be used with a controller but is that a requirement or it has a local web interface as well?
I'm pretty sure the software is necessary... A mini pc should be able to run it as a dedicated controller.. I'm seriously considering it.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3910 posts
1371 upvotes
Hmm alright, wonder if the controller can run on a raspberry pi, coz I got a few of those doing various things.