Fashion & Beauty

What is the point of having a tattoo on the back of your calf?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 5:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11595 posts
498 upvotes

What is the point of having a tattoo on the back of your calf?

In fact, I saw a guy today who had two visible tattoos and they were on the back of his leg and the back of his arm.

What is the point of having tattoos if you can’t see them and can’t wear shorts or short sleeves without looking like a douche... for the rest of your life!
26 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20676 posts
4807 upvotes
Poormond Hill
mbg wrote: In fact, I saw a guy today who had two visible tattoos and they were on the back of his leg and the back of his arm.

What is the point of having tattoos if you can’t see them and can’t wear shorts or short sleeves without looking like a douche... for the rest of your life!

But. But. But. You saw it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6399 posts
1210 upvotes
Are you assuming to know someone's reasons for getting a tattoo in a certain spot? Pretty sure the dude doesn't care what you think.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3957 posts
1920 upvotes
Look at OP checking out this dude's butt err calf
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Jul 22nd, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17569 posts
2213 upvotes
Out west
mbg wrote: In fact, I saw a guy today who had two visible tattoos and they were on the back of his leg and the back of his arm.

I know many people that have them, and alot of the year you dont see them, as in winter they dont wear shorts. They got them because it means something to them, and not anyone else. Getting it in those spots they can still have them but hide them if needed, unlike neck and sleeve tattoos.

And as well, who cares. And another as well, what would happen if something actually bad happened to you if this is a worry to you

Short sleeves all year long, so what. Many people wear tshirts all year long. Because someone wears a short sleeve shirt in the winter makes them a douche? Please explain
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jul 22nd, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11595 posts
498 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: But. But. But. You saw it.
I assume he didn’t get tattoos for other people’s benefit.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11595 posts
498 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Are you assuming to know someone's reasons for getting a tattoo in a certain spot? Pretty sure the dude doesn't care what you think.
Then why get the tattoo that only others can see? He must be seeking for my ridicule, no?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1623 posts
468 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I used to be very active in the cycling community. I saw several calf tattoos, often bicycle themed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5791 posts
1918 upvotes
Just a general comment, people get tattoos for different reasons. To each their own

I have friends from Korea & Japan tell me over there, its usually gangsters or "bad" people who get them. I told them in Canada, about 50% of my male friends have tattoos, & out the ones who do, about 80-90% have never even been in a fight in their life. Its funny how its such a big world of difference about how different cultures perceive a tattoo
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15075 posts
12166 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
HP_John wrote: Just a general comment, people get tattoos for different reasons. To each their own

I have friends from Korea & Japan tell me over there, its usually gangsters or "bad" people who get them. I told them in Canada, about 50% of my male friends have tattoos, & out the ones who do, about 80-90% have never even been in a fight in their life. Its funny how its such a big world of difference about how different cultures perceive a tattoo
FYI

Acceptance of tattoos here in North America is a really recent thing ... like since 2000

Prior to that, here too they primarily were associated with 2 types of people

The Rough ... underbelly of society ... Bike Gangs, Longshoremen, Criminals etc
And those who who had Served .. peeps who had went to War

An arm tattoo showing something like Mom, or crest of ones Regiment etc was very common for vets after WW II

They gained a bit of ground in popularity in the 70s (Hippie Culture) but ... once the AIDS epidemic took hold in the 1980s ... AIDS, Hep C, Herpes awareness for the next 20 or so years made the thought of getting a tattoo considered risky behavior

Nowadays they are totally accepted here
And a lot of folks have them
And a lot of older folks like myself have grown quite accepting of them too

Lol, but the one thing we have ... that the youth of today don’t have is the memory of our fathers & uncles tattoos from WW II
Those suckers don’t age well
They look increasingly poor as the years go on and ones skin elasticity changes

So if you are thinking of a tattoo think long and hard about size & location
Cuz it might be fine now in your 20s or 30s
But you might regret it a lot if you have to look at everyday in your later years
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6791 posts
5867 upvotes
Toronto
OP... for your next thread, I suggest you complain about women piercing their ears to wear earrings that only others can see

mbg wrote: Then why get the tattoo that only others can see? He must be seeking for my ridicule, no?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11595 posts
498 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: OP... for your next thread, I suggest you complain about women piercing their ears to wear earrings that only others can see
Women see their earrings when they look in the mirror.

Seeing as tattoos are linked to criminal tendencies, I wonder if calf tattoos are a way to signal like a felon without having to be reminded of your ways on a regular basis.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6791 posts
5867 upvotes
Toronto
mbg wrote: Women see their earrings when they look in the mirror.
Oops, sorry... I didn't know tattoos did not reflect on mirrors, my bad.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17569 posts
2213 upvotes
Out west
mbg wrote: Women see their earrings when they look in the mirror.

Seeing as tattoos are linked to criminal tendencies, I wonder if calf tattoos are a way to signal like a felon without having to be reminded of your ways on a regular basis.
You mean like this thread signals you are a sheltered individual