Automotive

What is the process of obtaining a conditional pass from a drive clean test?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 1:45 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2017
268 posts
146 upvotes

What is the process of obtaining a conditional pass from a drive clean test?

I have tried searching online and couldn't find any information pertaining to my specific scenario. I called the ministry but I encountered a rude agent who was very impatient and gave me a vague answer.

I have a 10 year old car that had a CEL come on 2 weeks ago. I brought it in and my mechanic did diagnostic Nd said that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. It'll cost 800 bucks.

That is way too much money for me as my car is worth nothing and I'm looking to replace it late this year. My mechanic isn't a registered drive clean facility so I need to go somewhere else.

I need to do emissions testing to renew my licence. I will probably fail once they find the p0420 code. I'm willing to pay 450 bucks for the conditional pass as opposed to 800... My question is, if I need a repair that costs over the repair cost limit, how do I obtain the pass? When the part is repaired, do I have to do a re test and pass emissions? Is it the facility that gives me the conditionals pass and only charges 460 bucks or do I have to go to the ministry?
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2595 posts
1430 upvotes
ontario
google p0420 spark plug defouler, thank me later.
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
58 upvotes
Call a muffler shop, they should be able to replace with an aftermarket unit for alot less then 800 bucks. Are you in the GTA? Call zoro muffler
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1275 upvotes
1) Buy/borrow an OBD2 reader and reset your check engine light and erase all of the stored trouble codes. A cheap and commonly used reader is the ELM327 which can be bought off EBAY for $5 or $10. You might be able to borrow one from AutoZone, but I've never done it.

2) You'll need to drive your car around for 30 or 40 minutes to get its test readiness monitors ready. Your OBD2 reader will tell you when they are ready (you are permitted to have one monitor that is not "ready"). To keep your check engine light from coming on with the P0420, try not to exceed 80 km/h when you are driving around to get your readiness monitors reset. My Toyota was a pain in the ass to get the readiness monitors reset without having the P420 code come back.

3) As soon as you get all but one readiness monitor reset, head directly to the nearest DriveClean centre and have the test done. Do not screw around on this. Get it tested immediately, before your CEL comes back on with the P0420. You'll pass and you can renew your plates for two more years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6315 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
Just to add to the comment above, it doesn't matter if you have any "pending" codes. As long as there are no "error" codes you can pass (even if you have "pending" ones.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45820 posts
8820 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I'm not gonna lie... The last time I did a E-TEst for my old 2001 lexus IS300 with 415,000 km... The check engine light kept going on and off b/c of an exhaust leak.
So I just waited for the light to go off... Then on that day I went to get an e-test and it passed. I felt it was kind of a fluke... But it was nice that a car with over 400,000km could pass without a repair... So you have hope!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5497 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
If you still have few weeks until your birthday, buy odb2 or visit partsource multiple times. Use obd2 or partsource to reset any fault codes and immediately after disconnect your battery overnight. Drive 50kms and recheck. Rinse and repeat.

I had 2 error codes, 1 small gas leak and 1 cyclinder 1 misfire. Took me few tries to reset using the odb2 for the fault codes however, cat, cat heater, evap weren't ready and needed to disconnect the battery. After 3 weeks of messing around, I now have no faults and all emission devices are ready on my 2003 as of yesterday. Next thing I need to do is run over to the test center before any fault codes come back.

I am sure your case may differ but it's worth a try if you have time. To answer your question about how many not ready emission device there can be in order to pass conditional is 1.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
Yes , this Ontario madness about Drive clean is PITA. One less thing for me to worry as I moved to Manitoba. No one can put my 2003 Accord off Road now. Many of these codes have nothing to do with emissions.

Many people gave good advise. Follow those.
As the drive clean is valid for one year, get it done as soon as your Birth Day is passed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6725 posts
2300 upvotes
GTA
Follow esoxhntr's advice. The defouler works as an extension, places the sensor further out of the cat. It will still get hot, send a good clean reading...of course clear codes first, install, pass test-I posted the procedure a while back and a member messaged me happy it worked.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4949 posts
1835 upvotes
RoyDavisG wrote: I have tried searching online and couldn't find any information pertaining to my specific scenario. I called the ministry but I encountered a rude agent who was very impatient and gave me a vague answer.

I have a 10 year old car that had a CEL come on 2 weeks ago. I brought it in and my mechanic did diagnostic Nd said that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. It'll cost 800 bucks.

That is way too much money for me as my car is worth nothing and I'm looking to replace it late this year. My mechanic isn't a registered drive clean facility so I need to go somewhere else.

I need to do emissions testing to renew my licence. I will probably fail once they find the p0420 code. I'm willing to pay 450 bucks for the conditional pass as opposed to 800... My question is, if I need a repair that costs over the repair cost limit, how do I obtain the pass? When the part is repaired, do I have to do a re test and pass emissions? Is it the facility that gives me the conditionals pass and only charges 460 bucks or do I have to go to the ministry?
Take it to a shop that is OWNED by an Asian or East Indian ... they will do stuff that will get the vehicle to pass. Bring CASH! There are plenty of them in the Scarborough and Markham area.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1275 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Follow esoxhntr's advice. The defouler works as an extension, places the sensor further out of the cat. It will still get hot, send a good clean reading...of course clear codes first, install, pass test-I posted the procedure a while back and a member messaged me happy it worked.

A de-fouler will definitely work, but modifying your emissions system to beat the test is of dubious legality. You'd probably never be caught and charged, but I find that life is simpler when you limit the number of laws that you violate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5093 upvotes
ON
AV-Fishing wrote: Take it to a shop that is OWNED by an Asian or East Indian ... they will do stuff that will get the vehicle to pass. Bring CASH! There are plenty of them in the Scarborough and Markham area.
You think Eastern Europeans don't do that sort of stuff ?