Home & Garden

What is the process of withholding rent (ie. am I able to?)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2017 8:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12126 posts
3087 upvotes
--

What is the process of withholding rent (ie. am I able to?)

So recently about a month ago we had a fairly big water leak in our basement apt, dried it, kitchen floor was in bad shape after and the landlord said he would fix it, never did, well after all the rain last night it leaked in even more causing more damage to the apartment.

Apart from other things not working because they broke down which have also not been replaced, is it possible to withhold rent? I'm not trying to live for free mind you, it still pay the full amount owed once everything is either fixed or replaced, so that's why I'm actually coming here to ask before I go to the landlord tenancy board, to just try and get as much info as possible
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1603 upvotes
Alliston, ON
In Ontario, you are not allowed to withhold rent for any reason. You have to go to the landlord tenancy board and talk to them. You can also make the needed repairs then request to have that amount subtracted from your rent
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
^ this. Don't do anything without talking to the landlord tenant board first. There's a form to fill out. Google "Ontario RTA forms"

C
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12126 posts
3087 upvotes
--
So apparently everything will get fixed asap... heard that before though.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25196 posts
10216 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The LTB has an 800 number, but the above posters are correct, you cannot withhold rent, but a hearing can get you rent abatement if your unfairly inconvenienced.
Photo document everything in detail, closeups, items damaged, timeline, keep e-mails, written correspondence etc.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)