What product to use for my wood patio?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 12:35 pm
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
196 upvotes
Leask

What product to use for my wood patio?

So I got a contractor to review my patio situation...

The wood patio is big, it was painted at one point with some kind of paint and epoxy.... doesn’t make sense to me but he said deck/patio back than are coated with epoxy...

Anyways, he doesn’t suggest sanding it down as it is a lot of sanding to get it down deep enough a oil stain will penatrate to the wood...

So he is suggesting a deck paint.

If that the case, I can do this myself. Just clean it up a bit with pressure wash, let it dry and paint.

The question now is, which product to use? I live in Sask and only have access to place like Sherwin William, Dulux and the big box store.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1713 posts
1768 upvotes
GTA
When I had a wood deck, I was using quite successfully this https://www.lowes.ca/exterior-stains/ca ... 46253.html
I pressure washed the old paint (not completely, of course, just the top layer, otherwise I would have had to remove too much wood) and paint the timber oil. Lovely reddish colour. Lasted for three years, then I sold that house.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Epoxy coverings were the rage a few years ago but failed as the conditions needed to be ridiculously perfect for it to adhere correctly. And they were expensive too.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1713 posts
1768 upvotes
GTA
I just checked the reviews, it seems that they change the formula recently, so what I said may not be true for the latest formulation. I used it in 2010, and it was very good. I applied it in two layers, by the way.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)