Home & Garden

What Is the Proper Toilet Flange Height? In my home they are not consistent.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 10:39 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5301 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes

What Is the Proper Toilet Flange Height? In my home they are not consistent.

Hello all the members and moderators of Red Flag Deals Forums. I have a question for y'all?

I am replacing a Toilet so I would like to know What Is the Proper Toilet Flange Height? In my home they are not consistent.

In the main floor of my house the Toilet Flange is installed right on the sub floor so when they tiled the bath room, the flange is flush with the floor height.

In the upstairs bathroom, they installed the toilet flange AFTER they tiled the floor so the toilet flange is installed on top of the ceramic tiles and sticks out a few millimetres.

Which one is correct? I would like it to seal properly so if there is a gap I would like to seal it to prevent possible leaks
Hi
8 replies
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5301 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
thanks
so for the one sticking above the floor, how do I fix it? to make it flush? I don't want to break the floor and all kinds of damage
Hi
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5301 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
And another question. We discovered our old toilet had 4 flange bolt holes, 4? which was pretty weird to me. the toilet flange only had 2 bolts, so someone stuck screws into the other 2 holes and drove them into the wood sub floor, thank goodness the tiles were linoleum or some crap like that. ive never seen a toilet with 4 bolt holes only two.
Hi
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12426 posts
7011 upvotes
Brampton
That's a weird setup. Usually they glue and screw it it when the floor is done.
Dec 21, 2020
111 posts
73 upvotes
When I did my remodel I installed them to be flush with the finished floor (so attached to subfloor in my case). I would prefer not to risk a rocking toilet and having to undo all the work to lower it. They sell extra height wax rings to handle flanges that are too deep but I've always used the standard ones and they always compressed just fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4723 posts
3954 upvotes
Oakville, ON
GoodFellaz wrote: thanks
so for the one sticking above the floor, how do I fix it? to make it flush? I don't want to break the floor and all kinds of damage
For that one, I’d leave it as is. Just check carefully for any high spots when you mount the toilet and shim them if any gaps are really high. Either way, (shimmed or not) run a bead of silicone caulk all around using a small opening in the tube so as to get it under as far as it can go, then finish with another lap around with a slightly wider bead.

Edit to add: and don’t sit on the toilet for 24-48 hrs to let the caulking fully cure!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3006 posts
1753 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote: thanks
Upto a quarter inch above the floor is okay. You dont have fix what is not broken. A simple cheap wax ring will ensure that there are no air gaps between the toilet and the flange.