Home & Garden

What is the purpose of the leveling compound mounds under the shower base?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2021 2:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2036 posts
346 upvotes
East York, ON

What is the purpose of the leveling compound mounds under the shower base?

Hi guys

The shower base installation instructions show like in the below picture
Will that float the base and leave a gap between the floor and the base ?
Can a similar result be achieved using self leveling for the entire floor of the bathroom?
This is a small bathroom (around 8'x8') and since the guys who did the tiling before did a crappy job I was planning to level the entire floor anyway.
This is in the basement, it is a concrete slab
Lots of crazy 💡
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2990 posts
1251 upvotes
show us the 'receptor' or at least steps 6 and 7...
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2990 posts
1251 upvotes
it looks like there is a small error in the instructions, as step 3 should state should read "If it is not level and plumb the receptor should be installed using the mortar-bed option outlined in steps 4, 5 and 6. Install the drain to the receptor.

so if you can install the 'receptor" Aka "shower base pan" without using dabs of self levelling cement, do so...

have a look at the receptor base, it should be fully self supporting on a level, in-plane surface... If that is the case (which it should be) you can do all the self levelling you want
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The dollops of cement or mortar are use to hood the pan/tub in place. You don’t want to use dollops for floor tile in a wet space, water could collect in the gaps under the tile and you have potential for cracking grout due to shifting under weight.

To level you can use leveling compound (liquid) or scratch coat and screed it out. Follow the instruction and don’t exceed the maximum thickness recommendations.

Check this out.

CuriousC wrote: Hi guys

The shower base installation instructions show like in the below picture
Will that float the base and leave a gap between the floor and the base ?
Can a similar result be achieved using self leveling for the entire floor of the bathroom?
This is a small bathroom (around 8'x8') and since the guys who did the tiling before did a crappy job I was planning to level the entire floor anyway.
This is in the basement, it is a concrete slab
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2036 posts
346 upvotes
East York, ON
I don't get it why is it called self leveling ? :-))
My idea was that you pour it liquid and it self levels but it looked nothing like that in the above clip
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2990 posts
1251 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: I don't get it why is it called self leveling ? :-))
My idea was that you pour it liquid and it self levels but it looked nothing like that in the above clip
there are many ways to catch a fish, or something like that...

True self levelling cement is mixed to a rather liquid consistency, poured, and it will find its own level... that isn't to say it can't be mixed somewhat thicker, and applied in the fashion described in your instruction manual, where it will hold a bit of shape, prior to being pushed down into place by the pan as you install it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2036 posts
346 upvotes
East York, ON
I am tempted to believe that the mounds are to stabilize and prevent lateral movements ..the base will sink into mounds and reach the floor level anyway but the mounds will get into the profiles of the back side of the shower base and will prevent the lateral moves
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2990 posts
1251 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: I am tempted to believe that the mounds are to stabilize and prevent lateral movements ..the base will sink into mounds and reach the floor level anyway but the mounds will get into the profiles of the back side of the shower base and will prevent the lateral moves
Exactly