Automotive

What is the purpose of these tubes on the Jeep?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 6:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16511 posts
18069 upvotes
Oakville

What is the purpose of these tubes on the Jeep?

Is it supposed to be a rollcage of some sorts? It's too thin walled, not well triangulated and barely attached to the vehicle to much good as a roll cage.
It looks like more of a scaffolding that might be used on a safari vehicle to hold up a canopy or something.
I just can't figure out why this guy is daily driving with this stupid attachment on his Jeep. It looks even more ridiculous from the front because it sticks out so much.

What comes to my mind.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
26 replies
Jan 28, 2015
155 posts
26 upvotes
Mississauga
Roll cage so obtrusive that I park on the yellow line all the time
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14212 posts
8306 upvotes
Toronto
roll cage, not sure if it's sturdy enough to actually do anything.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1989 posts
1300 upvotes
It's the equivalent to the "splitter" fad for "race" cars.

Srs answer, I think it's for mounting lights?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
Darn, thought you were asking about that weird z-shaped intake tube...Does that nasty thing even work?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6842 upvotes
Brampton
tranquility922 wrote: Darn, thought you were asking about that weird z-shaped intake tube...Does that nasty thing even work?
It's called a Snorkel. Yeh it works.... at keeping water out of your engine when you're offroading in deep water.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2808 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That seems like a useless roll cage, it's just screwed on to the pillars.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
tebore wrote: It's called a Snorkel. Yeh it works.... at keeping water out of your engine when you're offroading in deep water.
Ah, tx, was always curious wth that was...
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
Btw, what's going on, you should be on the other end of that question, engineered! :D
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16511 posts
18069 upvotes
Oakville
tranquility922 wrote: Btw, what's going on, you should be on the other end of that question, engineered! :D
lol, I don't follow?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4813 posts
6044 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's a Jeep thing, one of the remedies for miniature dong.

/thread
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8751 upvotes
Edmonton
Whaddya want from them? It may look dumb, but you can't put a roof rack on a soft-top. So if you want something you can throw your skis on, or a kayak, or anything that doesn't fit in your vehicle, there's your solution.

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16511 posts
18069 upvotes
Oakville
CNeufeld wrote: Whaddya want from them? It may look dumb, but you can't put a roof rack on a soft-top. So if you want something you can throw your skis on, or a kayak, or anything that doesn't fit in your vehicle, there's your solution.
C
Yea, I didn't think it was a roof rack due to the lack of cross bars and not being a Jeep guy I forgot it's not a solid roof. Still looks kinda silly without other Jeep style mods, but I guess if he's carrying stuff on the roof he doesn't have a choice. Not sure why the cross bars aren't on there though. Maybe to make it easier to remove the hard roof cover.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
Protection from comets and asteroids...

Good thing he had a sturdy roll cage.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
engineered wrote: lol, I don't follow?
I meant you're always so technically-knowledgeable (hence your handle), surprised that you're the one asking instead of answering these types of questions ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19014 posts
7062 upvotes
Toronto
It's probably plumbing for the toilet inside.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8751 upvotes
Edmonton
tranquility922 wrote: I meant you're always so technically-knowledgeable (hence your handle), surprised that you're the one asking instead of answering these types of questions ;)
Engineers are naturally curious folks, looking for answers to things they don't know... :)

C
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote: Engineers are naturally curious folks, looking for answers to things they don't know... :)

C
I know, I'm just playing around w/ him, he's cool. :)