Computers & Electronics

What RAM do I need to purchase ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 4:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2910 posts
259 upvotes

What RAM do I need to purchase ?

Could use some advice. Looking for links to ram I can order online so I can upgrade 16 gb to 32 (or more..?)

Current ram pictured below. Thank you.
65697A02-9867-4A3D-8150-91133C19B4E6.jpeg
FC100AFD-97E6-4BD6-ACFD-050C0CCF1ADA.jpeg
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3599 posts
921 upvotes
Looks like its 2133 mhz DDR4 ram? Probably a 6/7th generation intel i-core CPU? Should be able to get any modern DDR4 ram and it should work. Usually you can use higherspeed rated ram in lower speed. If you want to go 32gb total. Just add 2X 8gb sticks since it looks like you have 2 more empty slots there. Any speed higher 2133mhz or higher should do. Intel boards usually are not that picky about ram.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2649 posts
2829 upvotes
GTA
The sticker is helpful, but you should include the motherboard model for the most accurate help. Why do you want more than 32gb anyway, what are you planning to do with your PC?
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2910 posts
259 upvotes
coilz wrote: Looks like its 2133 mhz DDR4 ram? Probably a 6/7th generation intel i-core CPU? Should be able to get any modern DDR4 ram and it should work. Usually you can use higherspeed rated ram in lower speed. If you want to go 32gb total. Just add 2X 8gb sticks since it looks like you have 2 more empty slots there. Any speed higher 2133mhz or higher should do. Intel boards usually are not that picky about ram.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Digging deeper, i7-6700K
BernardRyder wrote: The sticker is helpful, but you should include the motherboard model for the most accurate help. Why do you want more than 32gb anyway, what are you planning to do with your PC?
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Here's the board: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-C/ Based on this, DDR4 is what it seems like I need.

I am doing some (amateur) video editing and much of the footage is in 4k. System sometimes is smooth but also lags othertimes. I'm thinking increasing the RAM might be a (cheapish) way to get more out of the system.

Edit: Can I order any one of these and expect it to work..?
https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Vengeance ... r=8-5&tag=

https://www.amazon.ca/Gammix-3000MHz-Me ... r=8-7&tag=

https://www.amazon.ca/HyperX-Kingston-2 ... sin_1&tag=
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 23, 2007
1549 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
jadoocian wrote: I am doing some (amateur) video editing and much of the footage is in 4k. System sometimes is smooth but also lags othertimes. I'm thinking increasing the RAM might be a (cheapish) way to get more out of the system.
This looks like the model number on your ram..
https://www.amazon.ca/Hynix-HMA41GU6AFR ... B0165ZUTIG

I would recommend getting that for max compatibility cuz it's the same one. For the other ones you linked, they might work, they might not. If you get faster ram, they just dumb down to the slowest ram you have anyway. If you get the same ones, it's mostly guaranteed to work.

As for your lag, you'd probably want a SSD too, if you haven't already.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2910 posts
259 upvotes
LKane1 wrote: This looks like the model number on your ram..
https://www.amazon.ca/Hynix-HMA41GU6AFR ... B0165ZUTIG

I would recommend getting that for max compatibility cuz it's the same one. For the other ones you linked, they might work, they might not. If you get faster ram, they just dumb down to the slowest ram you have anyway. If you get the same ones, it's mostly guaranteed to work.

As for your lag, you'd probably want a SSD too, if you haven't already.
Thank you very much for the response and sourcing the exact ram I currently have.
I've gone ahead and order 2.

Thanks everyone again.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4432 posts
1011 upvotes
jadoocian wrote: I am doing some (amateur) video editing and much of the footage is in 4k. System sometimes is smooth but also lags othertimes. I'm thinking increasing the RAM might be a (cheapish) way to get more out of the system.
The video lag is due to the i7-6700K. Skylake was the first Intel processor to have hardware HEVC decoding, but it was the next year with the 7th gen Kaby Lake that got full fixed function HEVC Main10/Main12. Alternatively, any GeForce 1xxx series GPU would work.
Increasing RAM won't do anything to help 4K playback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2910 posts
259 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: The video lag is due to the i7-6700K. Skylake was the first Intel processor to have hardware HEVC decoding, but it was the next year with the 7th gen Kaby Lake that got full fixed function HEVC Main10/Main12. Alternatively, any GeForce 1xxx series GPU would work.
Increasing RAM won't do anything to help 4K playback.
Darn I'm using GeForce GTX 980.

I wonder if I should cancel my RAM order then (if it's not too late)...
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.

Top