Home & Garden

What are reasonable prices for carbon steel pans?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2021 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2220 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto

What are reasonable prices for carbon steel pans?

So I bought pans off the bay https://www.thebay.com/product/de-buyer ... lor=SILVER
the 9.5 inch for 50 and the 12.5 for 80 I think. Together it came out to be 146. Although honestly, I bought both sizes because only those 2 were available and I wasn't sure how small the base would be since the walls flair out quite far.

But I'm starting to have buyers remorse, as it seems like I greatly over paid. I was under the impression it was only by 5 bucks since the last Bay sale on the pans was only that much cheaper however when looking at the sales on Amazon, the ones showing on RFD have been hitting 60 for 11/12.5 through out May And March several times on amazon

On CCC I regret not clicking on third party new. But it seems like they've been on for 60 once in a while, 9.5 have been hitting 42. I know it seems like penny pinching but I get the impression it might be best to return them and wait on for an amazon sale. But given covid, I have no idea what to expect in the future let alone what to expect for amazon sales without covid.

So far I only got the 9.5 shipped in and I found the base to be awfully tiny. So I'm wondering if I should just keep the 12.5 when it comes in or if it would be better to return it and wait for the price to lower on amazon?
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2220 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
johnas wrote: IKEA sells carbon steel pans. 9 inch is $30 and 11 inch is $35 iirc. I don’t know about the quality, most ikea pans are meh but price seems right for this type of pan.

Edit:
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/vardagen-f ... -60438017/
Unfortunately I haven't heard any reviews on how well it does other than one or two reviews on reddit that it's very thin. From what I understand, the thinner pans are more prone to warping.
There is also this one https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/the ... 58482.html for 15 bucks but it has been out of stock for a couple of months now. Although I think it too might be thin but I have no clue.
Jan 11, 2004
273 posts
162 upvotes
IKEA gives 365 days for return so there’s that.
The Dubeyer pans by all accounts are good though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5756 posts
2533 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have the small and medium Ikea pans. Looks like it's 2mm in thickness. Have been trying to reseason them (ran out of baking soda for a good scrub). The 11" is about 5 lbs in weight.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2220 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: I have the small and medium Ikea pans. Looks like it's 2mm in thickness. Have been trying to reseason them (ran out of baking soda for a good scrub). The 11" is about 5 lbs in weight.
So what's the verdict on their carbon steel pans? Did you face any issues?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4814 posts
1347 upvotes
I have a Lodge 12" from Amazon. Paid $70 for it.

Way better than any cast iron pan I've used. Lighter, more non-stick, and easier to clean.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5756 posts
2533 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
dealo'day wrote: So what's the verdict on their carbon steel pans? Did you face any issues?
1st carbon steel I've owned. No issues other than factory seasoning sucks.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2220 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote: I have a Lodge 12" from Amazon. Paid $70 for it.

Way better than any cast iron pan I've used. Lighter, more non-stick, and easier to clean.
That's interesting that you say it's lighter. The 9.5" De Buyer weighs an absolute ton. I weighed it on a scale and it's 1.4kg which came out to be 100g heavies than what amazon claimed. For the lodge 12", it stated it was 2kg. Personally my entire experience is with using either teflon or ceramic pans which weigh like a feather compared to De Buyer's carbon steel, let alone Lodge. I still have a 12.5 De Buyer coming in the mail that is 2.63 according to amazon, which seems to be monstrously heavy.

But I'll take your word for it that it's easy to clean and non stick. One question though, if you don't mind. Is there anything that you ever cooked on it that left anything stuck to the pan despite it having good seasoning? There are so many videos online on how to remove stuck on food but I thought that wasn't supposed to happen with a good polymer coating from the seasoning.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4814 posts
1347 upvotes
dealo'day wrote: That's interesting that you say it's lighter. The 9.5" De Buyer weighs an absolute ton. I weighed it on a scale and it's 1.4kg which came out to be 100g heavies than what amazon claimed. For the lodge 12", it stated it was 2kg. Personally my entire experience is with using either teflon or ceramic pans which weigh like a feather compared to De Buyer's carbon steel, let alone Lodge. I still have a 12.5 De Buyer coming in the mail that is 2.63 according to amazon, which seems to be monstrously heavy.

But I'll take your word for it that it's easy to clean and non stick. One question though, if you don't mind. Is there anything that you ever cooked on it that left anything stuck to the pan despite it having good seasoning? There are so many videos online on how to remove stuck on food but I thought that wasn't supposed to happen with a good polymer coating from the seasoning.
My Lodge 12" steel is 1.9kg

My Lagasse 12" cast iron is 4.1kg

The cast-iron pan is almost unusable due to the weight. The steel plan is still heavy - way heavier than a teflon plan - but you get use to it.
Let's hug it out
Jan 14, 2010
655 posts
197 upvotes
Central Ontario
Have 3 DeBuyer Minerale pans: 8", 10" and 12.5". Have had for 10? years as a compromise for weight for use on an induction cooktop. Still darn heavy though, but workhorses. I see the 12" now have a second handle, that would be helpful.
8" = 1.0 kg (base is 5.5")
10" = 1.8 kg
12.5" = 2.6 kg
I purchased mine from the US and had delivered to a border shipping place, but this was 10y ago. My memory of my frugalness suggests I wouldn't have paid more than $150 for the set. I know I ordered them to the US because it was cheaper.
Seasoning instructions are included in packaging (seem to recall it involving potato skins?!). Every now and then I'll cook something acidic that compromises it a bit, but easy to re-season. Beautiful eggs, stirfries, anything. Love ability to bake in oven. Love not having to worry about health effects of coatings.
I do wash mine in soapy water (not advised), but put in a warm oven to dry out after washing. If something gets really stuck on the seasoned surface I use a coarse salt scrub. I clean the bottoms every few months with an SOS pad just to remove grease marks and the occasional rust spot.
Glad I purchased!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2220 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
cocodc wrote: Have 3 DeBuyer Minerale pans: 8", 10" and 12.5". Have had for 10? years as a compromise for weight for use on an induction cooktop. Still darn heavy though, but workhorses. I see the 12" now have a second handle, that would be helpful.
8" = 1.0 kg (base is 5.5")
10" = 1.8 kg
12.5" = 2.6 kg
I purchased mine from the US and had delivered to a border shipping place, but this was 10y ago. My memory of my frugalness suggests I wouldn't have paid more than $150 for the set. I know I ordered them to the US because it was cheaper.
Seasoning instructions are included in packaging (seem to recall it involving potato skins?!). Every now and then I'll cook something acidic that compromises it a bit, but easy to re-season. Beautiful eggs, stirfries, anything. Love ability to bake in oven. Love not having to worry about health effects of coatings.
I do wash mine in soapy water (not advised), but put in a warm oven to dry out after washing. If something gets really stuck on the seasoned surface I use a coarse salt scrub. I clean the bottoms every few months with an SOS pad just to remove grease marks and the occasional rust spot.
Glad I purchased!
Thanks for your input! It means a lot. Glad to hear you have nothing but positive things to say about them. You mentioned it's not advised but I have heard that detergent (dish soap) should do little damage if any to the pan and that chainmail scrubber also does the trick to remove stuck on food with little damage to the seasoning.

I just don't understand why food would stick to the pan if it's seasoned and supposed to be non stick as a result of it.