Students

What is the reputation of Ryerson Computer Eng program

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1025 posts
4738 upvotes
MILTON

What is the reputation of Ryerson Computer Eng program

My son got acceptance letter from
Mc master eng1
UTM CS
ryerson c eng.

Both Ryerson and UTM are computer Eng and CS, so he wants to pick one of them, leaning more towards Ryerson.

Opinions please.
7 replies
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2481 upvotes
Toronto
Ryerson is Harvard 2.0 now
To the moon
Penalty Box
Oct 18, 2009
609 posts
281 upvotes
They call it Rye-High for a reason.

When he has acceptances from real universities, why would you even consider Ryerson?
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2015
796 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ITT: University elitists with nothing of value to contribute.

All three schools are considered tier 2s. If you guys think UTM is the same as UTSG, then you're sadly mistaken because new grad job portals actually distinguish between the different UofT campuses.

In the field of comp sci/engineering with those options, pick the school with the best student life and highest chance of success. One thing to note is that in the highly competitive environment, there's virtually no differences in tier 2 schools among applicants. The biggest factor is what the student does in their spare time (contribution to open source, passion projects, student leadership, etc) in addition to a respectable GPA.

If I were to provide my honest opinion, I'd rank your options in the following order:
1. McMaster
2. Ryerson
3. UTM

P.S. I've mentored Ryerson kids in BTM (pretty much accepts anyone with 80 avg iirc) who work at large consulting firms, one at AWS/Salesforce (san Fran), and AMD. It's truly dependent on the individual unless you get into UW
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1016 posts
113 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: If I were to provide my honest opinion, I'd rank your options in the following order:
1. McMaster
2. Ryerson
3. UTM
Note that the UTM CS is not an engineering program. CS stands for computer science, does it?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2015
796 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cybercavalier wrote: Note that the UTM CS is not an engineering program. CS stands for computer science, does it?
Yes but the core distinction is that it's a non co-op program compared to its UTSC counterpart.

UTSC CS is already considered as a tier 2, but their students are often able to get jobs. Just to give some perspective, I did 2 work terms at RBC and I've never met one UTM student, but met many from UTSC. I've never heard good things about UTM and frankly the only people that talk down on Ryerson are those that haven't been a student since 2015/2016 with no idea of the present times.
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2008
947 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
FrugalConsumer wrote: Yes but the core distinction is that it's a non co-op program compared to its UTSC counterpart.

UTSC CS is already considered as a tier 2, but their students are often able to get jobs. Just to give some perspective, I did 2 work terms at RBC and I've never met one UTM student, but met many from UTSC. I've never heard good things about UTM and frankly the only people that talk down on Ryerson are those that haven't been a student since 2015/2016 with no idea of the present times.
UTM is still U of T. The name carries some value outside of Canada especially in the US. In any case unless you are talking Waterloo due to their excellent co op program, university in Canada does not matter for CS.

FWIW I went to Ryerson for CS and work at Amazon now, our co op portal sucked so I had to apply on my own.

For Engineering I would still rank UTM and Mcmaster ahead of Ryerson as school name tends to matter a bit more. For CS its irrelevant but UTM might help a little with some US based recruiters.

Top