• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 8:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3573 posts
3054 upvotes

What is retirement to you?

I moved out of Canada at the age 39 with certainly NOT enough money to retire.

However, I have been working 1 hour a day and have a monthly income of $1500 - $2000 and no expenses with is great for Thailand.

I have been working 1-2 hours a day since the age of 27 when I got fired from the job.

So, did I really retire at the age of 27? I certainly never experienced 9-5 (or 7-7 including the public transport) grind in decades.

I don't have a bank of mom and dad and never did. I have no other income whatsoever. What I earn is what I get. However, I do have the same amount of free time as a retired person.

So, what is the definition of retirement?
24 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10024 posts
1501 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: I moved out of Canada at the age 39 with certainly NOT enough money to retire.

However, I have been working 1 hour a day and have a monthly income of $1500 - $2000 and no expenses with is great for Thailand.

I have been working 1-2 hours a day since the age of 27 when I got fired from the job.

So, did I really retire at the age of 27? I certainly never experienced 9-5 (or 7-7 including the public transport) grind in decades.

I don't have a bank of mom and dad and never did. I have no other income whatsoever. What I earn is what I get. However, I do have the same amount of free time as a retired person.

Will you be able to afford a lifestyle you want when you are unable to work?

Do you get to choose when to work and could you choose to stop working altogether?

I think that is the definition of retirement to me.
Oct 11, 2010
965 posts
305 upvotes
Charlottetown
retirement = financial freedom. Being able to afford a certain lifestyle for the rest of ones life without needing to work (even 1 hour a week) to sustain it.
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
225 upvotes
jfall wrote: retirement = financial freedom. Being able to afford a certain lifestyle for the rest of ones life without needing to work (even 1 hour a week) to sustain it.
Agree it's financial freedom, and also a long(er) term financial freedom.
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Retirement to me is #FAKENEWS

Its a term invented by the powers to be to enslave the masses.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1491 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
so you retired at age of 27? u a millionaire?
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
OP is working 7 hours a week.. thats pretty much like retirement.. He doesnt have to be a millionaire.
mathiewannabe wrote: so you retired at age of 27? u a millionaire?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
It's all relative.

I used to go to BKK quite often, however I would not enjoy living there with only $2k/month. Work has got me accustomed to a certain level of standard (Dusit Thani, Vertigo, Cirroco etc). My definition is to be able to maintain my current lifestyle (e.g. travel where/when I want in comfort).
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
Retirement can mean some or all of the following:
- goodbye tension, hello pension
- long lunch and coffee breaks
- no alarm clock, no commute, no problem
- start a life like taking a vacation to las vegas, enjoying it to the fullest, but not so full that you run out of money
- doing what you want, when you want
- do things that you enjoy more, e.g., travel, fishing, gardening, etc.
- play with grand kids
- happy, relaxed, carefree, content, rested, smiling
- 7 days of weekends
- sit back and give advice to others in Redflagdeal forums, even tho you didnt follow it in your life

------------
"Beautiful young people is accident of nature. Beautiful old people is work of art."
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
938 upvotes
@psudolam...all of that +1

As a 70 year old retired person that reached FI at age 27 yet worked contented all the way to age 63, I am one of in the following group of people...

- living in a carefree safe & healthy environment of what I consider to be the best country to live in
- staying healthy, moderately active in the company of loved ones, everyone else can pi$$ off
- all vitals are within the range for my age - all intact BMI, CBC, BP, cholesterol, physical & mental abilities
- definitely not working, even part time or doing a side hustle.
- not answerable to anyone for anything or about anything
- zero stress & I mean zero. If there is any, even the slightest, just a little, then I walk away from it
- 100% guaranteed income that is (minimum) 2x time all-in YOY living expenses from wherever or whatever an/or enough cash that will last minimum 20 years of expenses living in Canada
- the means to come & go to wherever, whenever without thinking about others or the when or how.
Last edited by Guest37273939 on Aug 7th, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3573 posts
3054 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: It's all relative.

I used to go to BKK quite often, however I would not enjoy living there with only $2k/month. Work has got me accustomed to a certain level of standard (Dusit Thani, Vertigo, Cirroco etc). My definition is to be able to maintain my current lifestyle (e.g. travel where/when I want in comfort).
I visit all these hotels for free on my credit card points. I will be staying at Hilton Sukhumvit 24 this weekend just for kicks (or rather to maintain my Diamond status through 2018).

My wife also gets discount o hotels through her employers.

Hotels are dirt cheap here.... it's not exactly a glamorous lifestyle.
mathiewannabe wrote: so you retired at age of 27? u a millionaire?
Not even close.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1733 posts
698 upvotes
Whatever you are doing is apparently working for you . Besides, your market crash bet might handsomely payoff to sweeten your retirement Winking Face
BiegeToyota wrote: I moved out of Canada at the age 39 with certainly NOT enough money to retire.

Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
BiegeToyota wrote: I visit all these hotels for free on my credit card points. I will be staying at Hilton Sukhumvit 24 this weekend just for kicks (or rather to maintain my Diamond status through 2018).

My wife also gets discount o hotels through her employers.

Not even close.
I wouldn't classify them as dirt cheap, relatively to NyC sure. I still find life in BKK more glamarous than Toronto, perhaps I like my sky bars too much :)
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
780 upvotes
Don't you actually have to spend a few years working before you take retirement? It kind of sounds like your career never really got started.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing. I think retirement is actually very personal. Every person has a different concept of what retirement is. For my dad, he just reduced his work load at his current position, however he loves his work and career and I don't see him ever fully quitting unless his brain goes, or he becomes physically unable.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
938 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: I visit all these hotels for free on my credit card points. I will be staying at Hilton Sukhumvit 24 this weekend just for kicks (or rather to maintain my Diamond status through 2018).

Retire to Thailand, you must be joking?

With that, are you saying the $140+Cdn/night is cheap even at the "Hilton Sukhumvit 24"

On cheap. Can you get a 4 star hotel for $25Cdn/night in Thailand?

And what about the rating the safety & the cost of healthcare eh!

Any recommendations?

edit: maybe the $50cdn/night at the 'Raming lodge' in chaing mai?

or the 'Thai house beach resort' in Krabi in the south region at only $13cdn/night?

then the Jirapon Hill at the Patong beach, Phuket Island for $17cdn/night?