Personal Finance

What is retirement to you?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 8:15 am
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
779 upvotes
TodayHello wrote: Sadly, for most people it will be not eating cat food and trying to live a life of dignity while alone. That and leaning on the kids for support.

People on here tend to harp on 'gold plated' government pensions quite a bit - much to the chagrin of government employees who try and make the case that the pension isn't really that great. But it is. It really is - because it provides you with a safety net and security not easily found anywhere else.
Easy fix - get a government job, become a teacher, doctor, dentist, engineer or even better, become a CEO of a multibillion corporation and get a million dollar salary and 10 times that amount in bonus. Why complain? It is in your hands! No one stopped anyone!
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
i'm under age 30 and i became financially independent thanks to....... crypto currencies.

plan to travel the world. don't think i'll retire but i will be taking time off after resigning from my job.

to me, financial independence is retirement. no worries.
Last edited by mathiewannabe on Aug 8th, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
243 upvotes
TodayHello wrote: Sadly, for most people it will be not eating cat food and trying to live a life of dignity while alone. That and leaning on the kids for support.

People on here tend to harp on 'gold plated' government pensions quite a bit - much to the chagrin of government employees who try and make the case that the pension isn't really that great. But it is. It really is - because it provides you with a safety net and security not easily found anywhere else.
3 ways to fail everything in life:
- complain about everything
- blame others for your problems
- never be grateful

Blaming others for your problems is like blaming donuts for being fat. It was not the donuts. It was your choice.
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Nice, good for you.

Just curious, were you an early investor in cryptos ? which year did you start investing and how much did you initially put ? if you dont mind sharing.

I had heard of bitcoin as early as 2013 but thought it was a bubble and scam... lol... kicking myself now...

mathiewannabe wrote: i'm under age 30 and i became financially independent thanks to....... crypto currencies.

plan to travel the world. don't think i'll retire but i will be taking time off after resigning from my job.

to me, financial independence is retirement. no worries.
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious, are you involved with selling stuff online or ???

Because I also run an online business (much smaller than yours) around websites... I also do about 1 hour a day.. 5 days a week.
BiegeToyota wrote:
However, I have been working 1 hour a day ......

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)