Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: What is RFD stance on misinformation?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 3:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16972 posts
14576 upvotes
GTA, ON

What is RFD stance on misinformation?

There has been an ongoing issue with questionable information/links, if not outright false information, being posted about COVID19 and the current pandemic, especially along the conspiracy theories.

This can also apply to political or other social topics here and there.

Social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter are attempting to moderate.

What is RFD stance in regards to moderating?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
15 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16846 posts
32940 upvotes
Scarborough
Our general stance is that we're against it. That being said, context and other factors can come into play and we encourage members to use the forums report feature if they think a post violates our rules. We're not experts in every field but we will always do our best to review and remove what we determine to be misinformation. We already get a lot of reports on this subject and remove many posts each day for this reason.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13063 posts
8307 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: Our general stance is that we're against it. That being said, context and other factors can come into play and we encourage members to use the forums report feature if they think a post violates our rules. We're not experts in every field but we will always do our best to review and remove what we determine to be misinformation. We already get a lot of reports on this subject and remove many posts each day for this reason.
How do your team determine misinformation vs controversy vs inaccurate vs personal opinion?

How do we make sure we determine the misinformation based on the fact vs cherry picking fact due to personal beliefs
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16846 posts
32940 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: How do your team determine misinformation vs controversy vs inaccurate vs personal opinion?

How do we make sure we determine the misinformation based on the fact vs cherry picking fact due to personal beliefs
We take a lot of factors into account (such as the source of the information) when dealing with these reports. Most of the time it's pretty clear, however if there's any doubt we'll lean on each others experiences/knowledge and involve other resources available to us if needed.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4977 posts
1457 upvotes
does it matter?
there are few guys who attack when someone posts information. This is common on RFD. Its is same group and of political party. Seen this many times an years. The they ridicule them with all names and illiterate and racist and what not. My problem is mods are inconstant and some are harsh. almost idiotic level. I have posted info from Washington Post and other news outlet and still get attacked. My answer was if you have problem write to NY times and WSJ. *

And people need to stop complaining to mommy and daddy when someone disagrees. get over it. man its is damn hawt outside. covid is getting to me.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 22nd, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
callernamet wrote: there are few guys who attack when someone posts information. This is common on RFD. Its is same group and of political party. Seen this many times an years. The they ridicule them with all names and illiterate and racist and what not. My problem is mods are inconstant and some are harsh. almost idiotic level. I have posted info from Washington Post and other news outlet and still get attacked. My answer was if you have problem write to NY times and WSJ. *

And people need to stop complaining to mommy and daddy when someone disagrees. get over it. man its is damn hawt outside. covid is getting to me.
Your experience on RFD will be much more positive if you simply avoid the OT / PRC sections :)

Continue to report posts that clearly violate the forum rules and the mod team will do their best to take care of it.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4977 posts
1457 upvotes
does it matter?
WorldIRC wrote: Your experience on RFD will be much more positive if you simply avoid the OT / PRC sections :)

Continue to report posts that clearly violate the forum rules and the mod team will do their best to take care of it.
I repeat My problem is mods are inconstant and some are harsh. almost idiotic level.
But the main problem is only one and that part was edited. Until he is there it wont change and he is not going anywhere so.
People need not hide behind the rules and delete criticism as against the rules. The RULES are WE say What it IS and we Decide when/whom to apply it.
Or ignore for "Our" favourite groups.
OT / PRC . stay away from that But that is not the real solution. RFD need to stop bias towards certain political posters and party trolls.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
callernamet wrote: I repeat My problem is mods are inconstant and some are harsh. almost idiotic level.
But the main problem is only one and that part was edited. Until he is there it wont change and he is not going anywhere so.
People need not hide behind the rules and delete criticism as against the rules. The RULES are WE say What it IS and we Decide when/whom to apply it.
OT / PRC . stay away from that But that is not the real solution. RFD need to stop bias towards certain political posters and party trolls.
Many of the topics are delicate and become heated very quickly and remaining objective, as a moderator, can be very difficult at time. My preference is to moderate based on the forum rules and not based on "my opinion" of something. This is one of the reasons that I, both as a member and as a mod, choose to stay away from there.

The real solution is to stay away from OT / PRC.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13063 posts
8307 upvotes
Markham
i am wondering how many RFDers only participate in OT or post 90% posts in OT. Or what exactly the value does OT add to RFD? Let them argue in OT, so they can be nice in other forums?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16972 posts
14576 upvotes
GTA, ON
smartie wrote: i am wondering how many RFDers only participate in OT or post 90% posts in OT. Or what exactly the value does OT add to RFD? Let them argue in OT, so they can be nice in other forums?
It's the verbal diarrhea forum = where people tend to constantly complain and can't stop. Winking Face
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6073 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Your experience on RFD will be much more positive if you simply avoid the OT / PRC sections :)

Except when a mod decides to move your thread into OT Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes...I avoid that sub-forum...total waste of time/energy with the same folks arguing with each other just for the sake of argument not because they're knowledgeable or passionate on the topic...the topic could be about anything.
Sep 27, 2003
10886 posts
3178 upvotes
Newmarket
I think the general takeaway is most people don't like or support misinformation -- however, as we've all seen, everyone has an opinion on what information is real or not. That being said, when you consider the efforts big companies are taking (like Facebook and Twitter) to manage misinformation, it is very difficult to expect volunteer moderators on a forum like RFD to manage this in a way that everyone would agree with.

My own stance is that we moderate based on applying the forum rules. Everything else should be taken with a grain of salt.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22855 posts
21707 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
WorldIRC wrote: I think the general takeaway is most people don't like or support misinformation -- however, as we've all seen, everyone has an opinion on what information is real or not. That being said, when you consider the efforts big companies are taking (like Facebook and Twitter) to manage misinformation, it is very difficult to expect volunteer moderators on a forum like RFD to manage this in a way that everyone would agree with.

My own stance is that we moderate based on applying the forum rules. Everything else should be taken with a grain of salt.
Good POV if you ask me …

Treat these things like anything / everything else on RFD … YMMV

Be it a deal on TP … or a post about Covid, Politics, whatever.

Not everything shared on RFD is gonna be always 100% accurate … or work for the entire community … ones opinion of a deal on TP … may not be a deal at all in my mind, or even the type of TP I would want to buy / deal I would want to participate in.

So it is with every other topic as well.

I personally think the Moderators job is a tough one (and volunteer at that). Most folks would never volunteer, as Social Media Communities can be beyond cruel.

I think the RFD Mods do a great job as it is. I may not always agree with every call … but I think if you plan to stay & play in this sandbox then you got to just accept the rulings you may not always agree with. Esp so if it’s against yourself.

RESPECT is afterall a 2 way Street.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22855 posts
21707 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
callernamet wrote: I repeat My problem is mods are inconstant and some are harsh. almost idiotic level.

Ya know these types of posts … where you call out Mods in derogatory ways … or use the forums to name call people etc (you seem of late to have a real bugaboo about folks over 50 ) …

Those are all things that detract from any ongoing dialogue you participate in

And waters down any POV you bring to the table

I for one like reading many things you post … but doing these things repeatedly detracts from your input

It’s kind of like the guy who when you talk to him swears continually … after a while it tends to wear on you so much … that even tho he may have something worthwhile to say

You find yourself tuning him out

NOTE - I speak here only of what I have seen on the general forums. As I don’t participate very often in the OT / PRC ones cuz like many other RFDers, I find them too combative
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4977 posts
1457 upvotes
does it matter?
WorldIRC wrote: Many of the topics are delicate and become heated very quickly and remaining objective, as a moderator, can be very difficult at time. My preference is to moderate based on the forum rules and not based on "my opinion" of something. This is one of the reasons that I, both as a member and as a mod, choose to stay away from there.

The real solution is to stay away from OT / PRC.
And this is what confusing. if moderating is based on rules then I, as a experiment put exactly same wording with praise, posted something and was deleted. Exactly same but other is still not deleted. SO it is not based on rules but on basis rules will be applied only when someone wants to some people. I did same for signature but still people are circumvent it with political message.
It is not RFD is doing any work which helps the humanity. And posting even 1000 amazon deals is not service as there are billion of item and someone is gonna post something and others will down vote it.
So if someone up above is not following rules then question their authority. You are working for free (presumably) anyway and not helping anyone except self so you are not losing ANYTHING. Just leave.
And still person above do not work based on rules or ethics then just leave. Their is no difference between that authority and politicians. Rules are just words for them without any consequences for them. And then you are part of that political party and not forum.

My experiment proves all this rules and hypocrisy. By choosing to apply rules for certain people and ignoring fro others is part of problem.
By the honest question. how can we find RFD group donates to ANY political party? Is there way to find out?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22855 posts
21707 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
callernamet wrote: And this is what confusing. if moderating is based on rules then I, as a experiment put exactly same wording with praise, posted something and was deleted. Exactly same but other is still not deleted. SO it is not based on rules but on basis rules will be applied only when someone wants to some people. I did same for signature but still people are circumvent it with political message.
It is not RFD is doing any work which helps the humanity. And posting even 1000 amazon deals is not service as there are billion of item and someone is gonna post something and others will down vote it.
So if someone up above is not following rules then question their authority. You are working for free (presumably) anyway and not helping anyone except self so you are not losing ANYTHING. Just leave.
And still person above do not work based on rules or ethics then just leave. Their is no difference between that authority and politicians. Rules are just words for them without any consequences for them. And then you are part of that political party and not forum.

My experiment proves all this rules and hypocrisy. By choosing to apply rules for certain people and ignoring fro others is part of problem.
By the honest question. how can we find RFD group donates to ANY political party? Is there way to find out?
Lol, here I thought you were the guy who didn’t care about such things, as per your byline :
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
For someone who claims they don’t care … you sure are wingeing a lot about the ones on RFD
:facepalm:

My best advice …

Go with the flow man
Roll with the waves
Worry about things that only truly matter
In the long run…
You’ll feel better about the world / society as a whole

Cuz in reality you can on'y control that which lies within your own responsibility
You cannot control anyone else in this world anyhow

Ya know … as the song goes … Don’t Worry Be Happy

☀️ 🛶 🏖 Beer MugSmiling Face With Sunglasses