Off Topic

What should governments do to prepare for the technological automation of human jobs?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2018 10:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 1, 2013
5672 posts
597 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: The advancement we have had so far is to make things more productive and efficient WITH human labour. We get our income through that effort.

This next jump in automation is to replace that human labour with robots.
The Luddites basically said, 200 years ago, what you are saying today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

What makes you think you are any different from them?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
12210 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
They will have more welfare.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4639 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
CheapScotch wrote: The Luddites basically said, 200 years ago, what you are saying today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

What makes you think you are any different from them?
I've actually said the same thing in the past, but this transition is different.

On one hand, there's still TONS of jobs, there's so much research to be done in medicine, science, engineering, I think there's a plethora of jobs and roles waiting to be filled that ppl won't sit idle if they don't want to for many decades to come.

However, the jobs needed in the future and even now are high skilled jobs that require smart analytical thinkers. There's a lot of low IQ folks that just won't be able to adapt or train to do those new jobs. That's where universal basic income guarantees will have to step in, so folks that aren't capable can still survive. It will get ugly for a ton of folks, hell just look at transportation which employs like 10% of the population.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20677 posts
4812 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Government needs not to do anything.
Millennials Will Solve It!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
890 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
This government doesn't help the people. It only serve the rich 1% of population. I never seen the government helping any one
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 3, 2017
97 posts
7 upvotes
Syne wrote: The government should figure out how to plug the leaks of money being concentrated near the top, then offshored or hoarded, then once that's figured out, come up with a basic minimum income.
Before or after Trudeau sends $850 million to Syria? lol
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 1, 2003
6646 posts
331 upvotes
Governments should implement mandatory population control. Problem solved.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
17 posts
If this drywall stuff catches on it is going to be a disaster.

Just building one home takes several lathers to nail the hundreds of little wooden strips on, then a whole crew of plasterers are needed to coat it - that isn't even considering all the people that are needed to mill the wood or the farmers that raise the horses for the hair for the plaster or the corn farmers that feed the horses...

All these people will lose their jobs - it is going to be the end.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 22, 2008
65 posts
41 upvotes
Nothing. Just like every other technological advancement in history, new jobs will emerge and the market will adjust. Up until the industrial revolution, the entire world were basically farmers. The industrial revolution was a game changer that mechanized so much of day to day agriculture and pushed nearly the entire world out of the industry. Look around.. I think we're doing all right now.

Government can only get in the way of adaptation. They're too stupid to help.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 7, 2009
13833 posts
1337 upvotes
webdoctors wrote: I've actually said the same thing in the past, but this transition is different.

On one hand, there's still TONS of jobs, there's so much research to be done in medicine, science, engineering, I think there's a plethora of jobs and roles waiting to be filled that ppl won't sit idle if they don't want to for many decades to come.

However, the jobs needed in the future and even now are high skilled jobs that require smart analytical thinkers. There's a lot of low IQ folks that just won't be able to adapt or train to do those new jobs. That's where universal basic income guarantees will have to step in, so folks that aren't capable can still survive. It will get ugly for a ton of folks, hell just look at transportation which employs like 10% of the population.
Not only that, there are plenty of high IQ people who have mental health issues or addictions that prevent them from being productive. Then there's things like poor management, planning and funding that see IQ people having their efforts wasted. We are plodding along, but this is far from just an employment issue. We are just a messy, disorganized group of organisms. No wonder the Borg wanted to assimilate us.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
Tattersail wrote: If this drywall stuff catches on it is going to be a disaster.

Just building one home takes several lathers to nail the hundreds of little wooden strips on, then a whole crew of plasterers are needed to coat it - that isn't even considering all the people that are needed to mill the wood or the farmers that raise the horses for the hair for the plaster or the corn farmers that feed the horses...

All these people will lose their jobs - it is going to be the end.
Awesome name. Smiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With Sunglasses. Malazan is awesome.
racetrack wrote: Nothing. Just like every other technological advancement in history, new jobs will emerge and the market will adjust. Up until the industrial revolution, the entire world were basically farmers. The industrial revolution was a game changer that mechanized so much of day to day agriculture and pushed nearly the entire world out of the industry. Look around.. I think we're doing all right now.

Government can only get in the way of adaptation. They're too stupid to help.
Thats very silly.

Industrial revolution is different than this. You still needed a massive amount of labourers to make something. This will take that out of the equation. This will take those jobs done by humans and replace it with robots. So how can there be "new" jobs when the goal is to replace it with automation?.

Scientists and economists have been talking about basic income and taxing robots when this happens.

What our government can do is invest in this future and secure patents.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
2109 posts
1576 upvotes
Canada
I guess humans are just left with their primal job...to reproduce...unless they will also be done by robots and tubes too...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7045 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
Canada has a comically small population WRT land mass. I would guess that Canada only uses maybe 5%-10% of it's land, we need robots and drones to work the rest of the land. I am not talking about just using robots to strip mine all of alberta or anything like that, Alberta has done a fine job strip mining itself without the aid of robots.

We could have robots autonomously clear brush to reduce forest fires, maybe if there is an endangered species the robots could spot predators and just make a loud sound, heck maybe we can just put a honey bee hive on a big drone and it automatically flies to place to place to pollinate stuff.

To unlock the full potential of Canada we need automation, robots, AI.

I believe about 30% of Canada's GDP is from the natural resources sector, if we could double our land use with robots, we can easily boost our GDP by another 30%.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.

Top