• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 7:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1248 posts
953 upvotes

What should I buy to kill weed growing between interlock

I have weed and grass growing between interlock or growing on cracks of my asphalt driveway.

What should I to kill them?
Enjoying your life.
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20242 posts
13569 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Boiling hot water. You can literally see the weed cook in it's own juices as you pour the hot water on them.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13011 posts
4104 upvotes
GTA
Cleaning vinegar

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10383 posts
10654 upvotes
Toronto
All the above suggestions are temporary. What you realy need to do is pressure wash out the remaining polymeric sand and then brush in new polymeric sand. That'll keep it weed free for 2-4 years.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3050 posts
1846 upvotes
GTA
Anikiri wrote: All the above suggestions are temporary. What you realy need to do is pressure wash out the remaining polymeric sand and then brush in new polymeric sand. That'll keep it weed free for 2-4 years.
So there no way to keep it away for longer than that? thats the max time in between weeds coming back?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10383 posts
10654 upvotes
Toronto
lilmikey wrote: So there no way to keep it away for longer than that? thats the max time in between weeds coming back?
It depends on when the polymeric sand starts getting chipped away. That's it. If you keep topping up polymeric sand, it should last longer.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1149 posts
431 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote: All the above suggestions are temporary. What you realy need to do is pressure wash out the remaining polymeric sand and then brush in new polymeric sand. That'll keep it weed free for 2-4 years.
This has been the best answer yet, there are many ways to kill weeks, that's the easy part........ but they will come back quickly, This has been stated in many of the other threads in this forum (see post #2). The other option is to get stronger weed killer from the States, (Round Up Concentrate Pro) and if done properly will last up to 3 months............no longer than that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7572 posts
5739 upvotes
Ottawa
I find that the polymeric last longer if the patio is sloped enough to drain rain water. Once heavy rains leave water that can stand on the pavers for too long, it softens and eventually loosens the polymeric. 4-5 years is about as good as it gets. It's a big job to blast it out and replace it every few years but there aren't many good choices.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6024 posts
2744 upvotes
Durham
ilovetoyota wrote: I have weed and grass growing between interlock or growing on cracks of my asphalt driveway.

What should I to kill them?
Vinegar is the best ... and cheap. Go buy a case of it from walmart and pour. Done.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10948 posts
4246 upvotes
for the interlock just pull them out.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1830 posts
1262 upvotes
Toronto
MyDream1 wrote: This has been the best answer yet, there are many ways to kill weeks, that's the easy part........ but they will come back quickly, This has been stated in many of the other threads in this forum (see post #2). The other option is to get stronger weed killer from the States, (Round Up Concentrate Pro) and if done properly will last up to 3 months............no longer than that.
jdmfishingonly wrote: Vinegar is the best ... and cheap. Go buy a case of it from walmart and pour. Done.
I hear it's also beneficial to add salt to prevent weeds from coming back as quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5034 posts
2722 upvotes
GTA
Did that last year, they're back this year Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3682 posts
613 upvotes
Mississauga
Using a weed whacked works but u will use the Cordes up
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4491 posts
1705 upvotes
GTA
Roundup works very well but is quite harmful. I'd start by trying to pull them out by hand. If I can't get them out (and with the entire root) then I give them a small targeted blast of the Roundup. I plan to put in new polymeric sand in the next couple of weeks and hope that it buys me a season or two of being largely weed free.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5394 posts
830 upvotes
I used regular vinegar mixed with citric acid powder. It turned brown within the hour and died. Hasn't grown back. It changes the acidity of the soil beneath too making it hard for it to grow back. Another method I read is SALT but it basically makes it so nothing can grow there anymore ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2338 posts
2976 upvotes
West GTA
Easiest spray is vinegar, salt and a dash of dish soap. It's a non-selective plant killer with some residual soil effect (you're salting the earth), which will slow weed recurrence (but not prevent it forever). It's also cheap and easy to make. DO NOT spray this anywhere you want plants to grow, it'll kill everything and will ruin the soil for a while.

Alternatives are roundup (works well for deeply rooted plants), fire (don't fry them, just wilt them), and for more permanent solutions, top up or replace the sand.
Aug 29, 2019
976 posts
444 upvotes
VertigoM wrote: I hear it's also beneficial to add salt to prevent weeds from coming back as quickly.
If you have trees and shrubs nearby, adding salt to your interlock can kill them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)