Home & Garden

What should I do for imporve air equality? I living near highway

[OP]
Nov 28, 2014
12 posts

What should I do for imporve air equality? I living near highway

Hello everyone:

My parents just bought a house near highway QEW, the disatance is about 250 meters, one and a half block away from QEW. I was very busy with my school that I didn't seriouly warn them enough about it. For long-term, I don't want my family to breath the air from QEW 27/7... especially air pollution.

Now I think I would do is getting air purifier, which brand should I use? The average bed rooms size is around 250 and under sq feet (i guess). What others methods should i use for imporve air quality for in-door( indoor plants etc)?

Thanks!!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13689 posts
8700 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Germ Guardian

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11961 posts
6473 upvotes
Brampton
Get a whole house HEPA unit.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not much you can do about it now... those portable air purifiers will just make you spend needless money on filters/electricity and won't do much. Well it'll make your mind psychologically feel better and make you sleep better at night
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
395 upvotes
It seems your parents obviously knew the distance to the QEW when they bought the house and have weighed its pros and cons accordingly. Not much air purification you can do for an entire house, the portable ones are very small and meant for single room use only. Maybe more household plants or flowers will make the air seem better.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2763 posts
1228 upvotes
Mississauga
First confirm the indoor air quality is really foul. Get something that can check the air quality so you know how much it needs to be improved. Something like the Elgato Eve room is a good monitor on an ongoing basis.