Home & Garden

What should I do with my redundant baseboard heaters and ductless AC ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 4:15 am
[OP]
Feb 12, 2008
179 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

What should I do with my redundant baseboard heaters and ductless AC ?

Hi,

We recently converted our house from baseboard electric heating to forced air.

We have about 10 baseboard heaters installed in the house (some are old, some are newer) along with programmable thermostats.
The house also has a ductless split-AC system (no heat pump). As you can imagine, with the forced air system, the baseboard heaters and the AC are useless.

I was wondering if I would be able sell these items at a reasonable price or I should leave them as they are.

Thanks
Last edited by musicgold on Dec 10th, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Leave them as a backup unless you want a cleaner look. Use baseboard heaters don't have much value (you might be able to get $10-20 a piece) but need to sped that much patching up holes, deactivating wires and adding baseboards.

As for the mini-split, is that A/C only or a heat pump?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Feb 12, 2008
179 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: As for the mini-split, is that A/C only or a heat pump?
Thanks. No heat pump only AC.
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
musicgold wrote: Thanks. No heat pump only AC.
You might be able to get a bit more but unless you want a cleaner look, I'd just as soon leave it. The buyer is going to have to do gas refill (and pay you less accordingly), etc. and you will have holes to fill and wires to deactivate, again.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3010 posts
1279 upvotes
You want to donate all of that stuff to RE-Store, operated by Habitat for Humanity, like any good citizen of a wonderful country would do.

Leaving it in the house is Kife, honestly, no one does that.

Man up, rip it out, and donate it. Will make you feel good
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
Hot tap your meter, and enjoy sweet, sweet savings.
No, don't.
Apr 19, 2018
390 posts
291 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
Ripping "stuff" will require patching and painting. It's OK if you were going to do it anyway, but it will take time and money to fix if you weren't planning on it.

Depending on where the mini split A/C is going, it may make more sense and be more economical to run than central A/C as it keeps the rooms that are needed to be cool that way while not cooling what doesn't.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2215 posts
715 upvotes
Montreal
I'm in the same situation and just left both systems intact.

The baseboards are also used to supplement heat in rooms where the forced air is not enough.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3010 posts
1279 upvotes
SquadG wrote: If I had to built a house, I would have a furnace but I would also ask to have baseboard heater in case of backup.
Let's hope that never happens, then, An absolute ridiculous waste of money

Outside the depths of winter, a well constructed home can do fine with three or four 1500 watt space heaters, over the likely 48 hour period between when your forced air furnace dies and when it is back up and running.

So if you want to spend an additional 5 to 10 grand to backup a system that is likely not going to breakdown, and have your place look like a second rate low rent apartment, go ahead
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5792 posts
2553 upvotes
Durham
musicgold wrote: Hi,

We recently converted our house from baseboard electric heating to forced air.

We have about 10 baseboard heaters installed in the house (some are old, some are newer) along with programmable thermostats.
The house also has a ductless split-AC system (no heat pump). As you can imagine, with the forced air system, the baseboard heaters and the AC are useless.

I was wondering if I would be able sell these items at a reasonable price or I should leave them as they are.

Thanks
Kijiji
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11471 posts
6653 upvotes
Paris
New, sealed ductless AC units were 300 at the restore not that long ago. The used market can’t be great for them.