Computers & Electronics

What is the smallest and quietest case that can handle a 1070 video card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2016 3:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2475 upvotes

What is the smallest and quietest case that can handle a 1070 video card?

My bf left me a computer that is in a full size tower. I want to decrease the footprint but accommodate a dedicated video card such as the 1070. Can anyone give me some recommendations as to where to go? Should I go for a small form factor or the smallest tower?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2242 posts
1293 upvotes
Calgary
I love my new Corsair Air 240 case. It's a micro ATX cube-style case that can hold a full size graphics card. As for quiet though, get some aftermarket fans like the Thermaltake Riing 12 ones or the Quiet version of Corsair's SP120 (the stock fans are a little noisy at times).

https://imgur.com/a/8U7I7
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
If you want quiet, just switch to a close loop liquid cooler and replace the fans with silent versions. Also, look at the Asus Strix series of graphics cards, they run pretty silent when not under load.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4768 posts
2797 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Warning

The GTX 1070 is HUGE

At least the founder edition
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1059 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
Look at reviews for Fractal Define Mini case and decide for yourself if the card will fit in
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9380 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Warning

The GTX 1070 is HUGE

? It's 10.5"--that's not that big. Most Hawaii and Tahiti cards are over an inch longer.

Anyway as for the case, an SG13 should fit it provided the power connectors are on top (which I think they are) and not on the end. Note to OP: Keep in mind you obviously can't just shove an ATX board in there though, lol. You'll need to swap the motherboard to mini ITX as well.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
778 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Warning

The GTX 1070 is HUGE

What she said
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4768 posts
2797 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
ES_Revenge wrote: ? It's 10.5"--that's not that big. Most Hawaii and Tahiti cards are over an inch longer.

Anyway as for the case, an SG13 should fit it provided the power connectors are on top (which I think they are) and not on the end. Note to OP: Keep in mind you obviously can't just shove an ATX board in there though, lol. You'll need to swap the motherboard to mini ITX as well.
Seriously

It was bigger than my GTX 970 and 670, and it weight a ton.

Maybe AMD card are even bigger, you probably know more than me.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9380 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Seriously

It was bigger than my GTX 970 and 670, and it weight a ton.

Maybe AMD card are even bigger, you probably know more than me.
Yep indeed. Those AMD cards (7950, 7970, R9 280/280X, 290 and 290X) are often 11.5" or so. Some Tahitis were made on custom partner boards that were shorter but pretty sure all Hawaiis are over 11". AMD stopped that madness though with cards like the 285/380 which is less than 9" IIRC, along with Fury X (less than 8"), and of course the new cards aren't too long either.

GTX 970 was pretty short for its graphical power, there's even custom boards designed for ITX chassis which are less than 7" long!

Anyway I'm glad they've reined in the size of these cards these days, along with their power consumption. Makes them easier to fit in smaller cases.
Dec 25, 2010
725 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Lol really? I didn't mind the large size gpu I thought they looked completely bad ass to go with all that power. But I definitely would appreciate if more AIB made smaller size gpu to accommodate those that want it to fit in a itx build though.. I thought the tri x cooler on the 290 looked bad ass same with the vapor x.
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9174 posts
288 upvotes
Silverstone FT03 has a very small footprint and fits very long cards.

I've got a 1050 watt PSU and 290 in crossfire with an AIO cooler on one.
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9380 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: Silverstone FT03 has a very small footprint and fits very long cards.
FT03 is fairly expensive and it's also huge compared to an SG13. If you know what you're doing it won't get any louder than the GPU's factory fans get (the side panel is heavily ventilated right beside the GPU), so I'm still saying it's among the smallest and quietest OP will get. And get easily and cheaply as well. Case is available all over the place and can be had for less than $60.

Other good ones are the Fractal Design Node 304, Cooler Master Elite 130, eVGA Hadron (Air or Hydro)... The CM Elite 130 may actually be more quiet than the SG13 as it allows for a little better airflow being slightly larger...but it is larger.

Here's a video covering some of the ITX options out there, most of which can fit large(r) GPUs: