Parenting & Family

What are some free or inexpensive read aloud children's books / online resources?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2016 10:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54094 posts
19000 upvotes

What are some free or inexpensive read aloud children's books / online resources?

We will continue to read to our little one but during those times when we need a break, I'm wondering what inexpensive and practical options we have as parents. There are apps on Windows, iOS (Siri included) and Android that read out text but more in a monotonous way.

Something akin to this but free or less expensive or at the same cost but with more titles?
http://www.astorybeforebed.com/subscription

Would subscribing to Kindle Unlimited be a good idea since Amazon seems to offer Read Aloud with VoiceOver for iOS devices? I have to look for anything similar on a Windows or Android tablet but we do have an iPad 2 that's not being used much.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201244940
17 replies
Feb 9, 2005
828 posts
124 upvotes
Overdrive and your local library. They have audiobooks you can stream. Just check out, return when done. FREE
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
We found CDs in the library of Robert Munsch reading his books and played them at times for the kids. I'm sure they'd be available in other formats now too. There were a number of CD stories we found there, can't remember them all now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54094 posts
19000 upvotes
Time to renew my Toronto Public Library card. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1793 posts
1122 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
There are tones of free apps and books out there. It takes a little while to ,ok depending on age. Best value though is the library. We bought an ereader for our daughter who reads dozens of books in a week. We get downloads from the library and other sources.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54094 posts
19000 upvotes
Which ereader is this?

The only tablets we have our Windows based and one Ipad 2. They should to okay, right?

I had an amazon tablet before but sold it as I found the lack of the Playstore limiting.
Feb 9, 2005
828 posts
124 upvotes
You can use overdrive on either tablets. You can also use your browser on the tablets to read too as there's an option in overdrive to copy and paste links.
Jan 15, 2015
621 posts
362 upvotes
Agree with other posters that the best value is the local library. There is no better substitute for reading to, and along with, your child Smiling Face With Open Mouth.

I recommend Starfall Camp for self-learning when the parent is otherwise occupied (but limit computer time to one hour intervals). With a desktop computer, your child learns how to use a mouse at an early age (like my older son when he was 2-3). Otherwise a touch sensitive tablet will suffice as long as it allows you to use Adobe Flash. I believe Windows-based tablets work whereas Android devices may not display properly. I think the desktop is easier to find as compared to a tablet buried under a pile of toys.

I personally don't like Kindle readers because of limited functionality/versatility. Your child will quickly outgrow it or become bored.

There's still a free Starfall version but some added features require a subscription.

Starfall Camp link

Correction: just noticed that my Android-based tablet can use a free downloaded app to view Starfall Camp.
Oct 17, 2013
163 posts
94 upvotes
Ontario
Epic! is great and free if you are an educator and many students have access through their school accounts. I think the cost is $5 per month for parents.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1793 posts
1122 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
alanbrenton wrote:Which ereader is this?

The only tablets we have our Windows based and one Ipad 2. They should to okay, right?

I had an amazon tablet before but sold it as I found the lack of the Playstore limiting.
An iPad will work and you can download the kindle and kindle app. That's what I do as my ereader. However, I wanted my kids to be reading books, I didn't want the other access to the Internet. My kids read ALOT, so the lighting on an ereader is better for eyes with an on an iPad. This reader is her device, so meant only for reading. We originally got kobo because our local library only does kobo format and kindle does not work. The she also got a kindle for her birthday because she wanted books in other languages, which our library didn have but kindle does.

If you are reading WITH your child, any tablet is fine. I had even downloaded many 'read aloud' books that were interactive.
SAM3674 wrote:Agree with other posters that the best value is the local library. There is no better substitute for reading to, and along with, your child Smiling Face With Open Mouth.

I recommend Starfall Camp for self-learning when the parent is otherwise occupied (but limit computer time to one hour intervals). With a desktop computer, your child learns how to use a mouse at an early age (like my older son when he was 2-3). Otherwise a touch sensitive tablet will suffice as long as it allows you to use Adobe Flash. I believe Windows-based tablets work whereas Android devices may not display properly. I think the desktop is easier to find as compared to a tablet buried under a pile of toys.

I personally don't like Kindle readers because of limited functionality/versatility. Your child will quickly outgrow it or become bored.

There's still a free Starfall version but some added features require a subscription.

Starfall Camp link

Correction: just noticed that my Android-based tablet can use a free downloaded app to view Starfall Camp.
One challenge with giving a Young child a tablet is one has potentially unleashed a lot more technology than you want. i actually think by not giving a child a tablet, will foster reading better. My child uses her reader, it's been almost 3 years.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jun 23, 2006
355 posts
127 upvotes
I second the recommendation for Epic!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2355 posts
806 upvotes
Winnipeg
Macx2mommy wrote: There are tones of free apps and books out there. It takes a little while to ,ok depending on age. Best value though is the library. We bought an ereader for our daughter who reads dozens of books in a week. We get downloads from the library and other sources.
can you please name 3-4 good ones that you recommend out of the tons?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54094 posts
19000 upvotes
Also, some are being posted on slickdeals:
http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?for ... itleonly=1

If that doesn't work, search for " free children kindle".

Today's recommendation:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Roll-Away-Pu ... ac52230INT

Found this website but only the most recent ones are free:
https://www.freebooksy.com/read/genre/childrens/

Then just found these tips:
https://www.thebalance.com/free-kids-ki ... ks-1357953

1 Amazon's Free Kids Ebooks
2 A to Z Kids Stuff
3 Pixel of Ink
4 OverDrive Through Your Public Library
5 eReaderIQ
6 Project Gutenberg
7 Hundred Zeros
8 FreeBooksy (just mentioned above)
9 ManyBooks.net
10 OHFB.com (OneHundredFreeBooks)
11 iLoveEbooks.com
12 The eReader Cafe
13 Freebook Sifter
14 Shelfbuzz
15 World Library
16 DigiLibraries
17 BookBub
18 PixelScroll
19 Centsless Books
20 DailyCheapReads.com
21 eBookDaily
22 BookGoodies for Kids
23 The Savvy Bump
24 Booktastik
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16570 posts
2293 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: We will continue to read to our little one but during those times when we need a break, I'm wondering what inexpensive and practical options we have as parents.
Just buy some books; less distractions for younger children and better quality books.