Careers

What are some good/bad signs of a job interview?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2012 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote

What are some good/bad signs of a job interview?

This place is hiring lots of people, around 40 people. I am qualified for the job, but left my recent job 2 months ago. When he asked why, I said seeking new oppurtunities and I felt my skills could be used better elsewhere as the company was on a decline
(this is the real reason). He then asked if it was scheduling issues, and I said no.

Later I found out that my one of my supervisors from my old work said I had left because of SCHEDULING ISSUES. the HR asked if it was Ok to call and I said yes. He also said I should here a call early next week for an update/job offer?

the interview was pretty basic, just following a list of questions he had to ask and expanded on a couple of them. The interview went longer than expected as even though I wasn't looking at the time my interview outlasted two interviews in the next room. But I am really stressing and anxious because of this question/response. It's a very good job that pays well. I suffer from severe anxiety and mild depression which causes me to make rash descisions at times i.e quitting my last job or obsessing over this. The main positive I am relying on is that this place seems to be doing mass hiring at the moment, the agency who referred me says everyone got hired last time, my supervisors gave my excellent references except that little but crucial answer that he gave me a solid time frame in which he would call me back. He also said they would decide today, so I don't even know if he has enough time to contact my old employer again...

Or am I just being way to anxious over this?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Tallgeese wrote: This place is hiring lots of people, around 40 people. I am qualified for the job, but left my recent job 2 months ago. When he asked why, I said seeking new oppurtunities and I felt my skills could be used better elsewhere as the company was on a decline
(this is the real reason). He then asked if it was scheduling issues, and I said no.

Later I found out that my one of my supervisors from my old work said I had left because of SCHEDULING ISSUES. the HR asked if it was Ok to call and I said yes. He also said I should here a call early next week for an update/job offer?

the interview was pretty basic, just following a list of questions he had to ask and expanded on a couple of them. The interview went longer than expected as even though I wasn't looking at the time my interview outlasted two interviews in the next room. But I am really stressing and anxious because of this question/response. It's a very good job that pays well. I suffer from severe anxiety and mild depression which causes me to make rash descisions at times i.e quitting my last job or obsessing over this. The main positive I am relying on is that this place seems to be doing mass hiring at the moment, the agency who referred me says everyone got hired last time, my supervisors gave my excellent references except that little but crucial answer that he gave me a solid time frame in which he would call me back. He also said they would decide today, so I don't even know if he has enough time to contact my old employer again...

Or am I just being way to anxious over this?
Make sure you don't put your supervisor down as a reference next time!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote
I will. He gave me a good reference and is a good guy, but I don't know why he said this even after I told him my reasons for leaving. It is such a small but crucial mistake. I hope to God that this isn't a factor in me not being considered for the job.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1180 posts
113 upvotes
He's deciding today, and you are stressing you didn't get the job now?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote
And what's wrong with that? Please read it over again: he said he will be deciding today and that I should EXPECT a call early next week. This is a good sign, no?
Sep 17, 2003
143 posts
16 upvotes
Winnipeg
A good sign is if you hear that your other references have been contacted. Other than that, its a waiting game on your end. Don't wait though, keep on looking for new opportunities until you have a written offer letter.

Good Luck!

Tallgeese wrote: And what's wrong with that? Please read it over again: he said he will be deciding today and that I should EXPECT a call early next week. This is a good sign, no?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
gerbear wrote: A good sign is if you hear that your other references have been contacted. Other than that, its a waiting game on your end. Don't wait though, keep on looking for new opportunities until you have a written offer letter.

Good Luck!
+1
why did you leave? normally people keep the job while searching for a new one. that may have been a flag that something is not right
also remember that if a company hires 40 people, they may lay them off in not so distant future
Dec 28, 2010
285 posts
59 upvotes
sounded like a serious interview

did you guys chat on a personal level during interview? ie. interests, hobbies etc.

based on my experience, talking about the weather for more than a minute is a bad sign
mysticalinfluence wrote: Brah do you make 100K year too and wear Canada Goose? You might not be fat but your fattest douche bag on RFD.
kenchau66 wrote: you mean "you're"