What is the starting rate for apprentice electrician

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2016 9:12 pm
[OP]
Jul 10, 2016
10 posts

What is the starting rate for apprentice electrician

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much did they get paid when they started their apprentice vs the Industry average. No union reference please we can check their wage from their website. Do companies give benefits such as extended healthcare, pension plan, profit sharing, rrsp (this is strictly for information purposes).

I am currently registered on apprenticesearch.ca and keeping an eye on the any opportunity that comes by. I have done bachelors of electrical engineering and currently working as an engineering technologist.
I am looking for an apprenticeship in construction sector as an electrician. Anyone knows anyone who is willing to accept an electrician apprentice don't hesitate to message me.
8 replies
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
What city and what type of electrician? Residential, commercial or industrial? Why do you want to be an electrician if you have your Beng?

Industrial pays the most. 1st term apprentice makes 40% of 30-35/hour for non union
Sig abuse is not permitted on RFD - Mods
Oct 29, 2014
429 posts
118 upvotes
Why the switch? Less stress? Want to be supervisor?
[OP]
Jul 10, 2016
10 posts
i live in Mississauga and i have been working as an electrical technologist for a year now and there is very little room for growth in my current company, we have one electrician in my company that does some work on the side. i get paid 38000/year and im willing to go down to 34000/year starting for an apprenticeship and leave this job because in 5 years time i will be making more than what im making 31/hr union rate. i have been looking for engineering work for the past 2 years and cant wait for my luck to shine. but since union is so hard to get in if you are not an electrician already. i want to get the feel on how much does non union rate "https://www.apprenticesearch.com/Applic ... ails/14966"
[OP]
Jul 10, 2016
10 posts
30seconds wrote: Why the switch? Less stress? Want to be supervisor?
my long term plan is to provide better for my family i have one kid and i definitely want at least one more. i never get stressed out and i don't mind taking responsibility. the switch is because i don't want to get stuck in one job for next 5 years with no pay increase. i want to work for a company that pays me enough so im able to save for a rainy day or pension, or it provides company sponsor pension plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
Sparky9087 wrote: What city and what type of electrician? Residential, commercial or industrial? Why do you want to be an electrician if you have your Beng?

Industrial pays the most. 1st term apprentice makes 40% of 30-35/hour for non union
There are very few opportunities in Engineering in Canada. OP will probably never make it to 30-35 hour if he continues to hope for the coveted engineering job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5497 posts
1382 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depends on province and sector. Here it's usually 1/2 of journeyman rate- around 19 for residential, 20-21 for commercial, 22 for industrial.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Start searching for commercial or industrial electrical contractors in your area. Apply to them all. Every last one. You should be signed within 3 months. Once you are signed you are a card carrying apprentice. Residential is very dull. Dont do it. If I was you Id look for an industrial controls contractor. They will pay more, the work is more interesting and you will be a competitive applicant with your degree. Hell you might end up in management or design at the end of the line. Dont look for job postings. Start sending your resume physically. These companies arent very high tech.

Each term is 1800 hours. Totalling 9000. You can do them as fast as you want. Some guys finish in 4 years. Most around 5.
Pay. This is set out by the ministry
1st is 40% of shop rate
2nd is 50
3rd is 60
4th is 70
5th is 80

You will go to 3 trade school terms.
Basic is 8 weeks(6 weeks paid by EI @60% because waiting period)
Intermediate is 10 weeks paid @ 60%
Advanced is 10 weeks paid @ 60%
There are extra allowances for childcare and travel. I have no idea what they are.
You can challenge trade school. You have a bachelors and a family so do that. You pay $150 write an exam and get exempted from trade school. Basic is basically resistor theory. Youll want to kill yourself its so boring
Intermediate is ac motors and some electronics
Advanced is 3 phase power systems and dc motors and more electronics
If youre young its a paid vacation. Alot of older guys with families really stressed about providing for their families though

If the company that signs you is crap, as long as they arent endangering your life, stick there for a year or 2 and change companies. 2nd and 3rd term apprentices are sought after because they are knowledgeable to work with minimal supervision and cheap.

Once your hours and trade school is done you write for you 309a CofQ. 4 hour exam, 120 questions, easy peasy if you know the codebook.