Automotive

What are the steps needed to buy a used car in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 1:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
7 posts

What are the steps needed to buy a used car in Ontario?

Hi guys I am in Ontario I am buying used 2016 Honda Pilot it’s in awesome shape 130k on it but asking price is 26k with with their safety and registration crap now they will sell me a car as is for 23k now what do I need in order to drive this car does it need safety check I know I need answer I need to transform the car to my insurance and get the new plates is there anything else that I need to do in order to drive this car and will I pay any tax at the mto
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29203 posts
14964 upvotes
Toronto
before you get too eager to into this baby .... have you done your due diligence ? any outstanding lien + carproof/carfax + PPI
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
7 posts
I did car fax nothing all good and lien where would I get that I am planing to get mto car package for this at any advice is helpful thanks and also since I am buying from dealer ship would they not provide me with those things thanks again
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1668 posts
1140 upvotes
Montréal
Are the punctuation keys missing on your keyboard?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6804 upvotes
Brampton
If you're buying from a dealer why don't you ask them?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1833 posts
1047 upvotes
Durham
If you are not well versed in car buying. Pay the $26k and have them safety, register and do everything else. All you will have to do is pick the car up. Do you have the time to safety, go to Service Ontario etc yourself? Buying from a dealership you pay them the tax. Just pay the $26k or negotiate to $25k and have them handle it. 130k on a 3 year old car is a lot.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29203 posts
14964 upvotes
Toronto
you should really find out how much life left for the brakes and tires before they need to be changed. At > 100K, some major services will also have to be done as well which may cost some $$$. So, factor all these items into your offer.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
7 posts
Thanks for the reply they wont budge on price my top offer is 23+tax. I did check the car out and looks really good shape. My plan before baying to take to Honda dealership for full check up before paying. I am in a bad spot where my Acadia is hawing transmission issues and i would like to get a new car before it leaves me stranded but i need 3th row seat car because of 3 kids. So i was thinking Honda since its relabel. Do you think its to much KM on this car even for Honda its one owner and it look is really good shape i have some experience in cars so did a check under and above.

Thanks for your help

And those that complain about grammar and spelling relax
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29203 posts
14964 upvotes
Toronto
you should always make a conditional offer ... subject to full ppi ... if you are to put a deposit down before signing any offer sheet
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
7 posts
What do your mean by ppi? And what would you pay for this car thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1833 posts
1047 upvotes
Durham
Oh its a 3rd party dealership. Stay away. Probably bought at an auction.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29203 posts
14964 upvotes
Toronto
$19-$20K top. assuming it's exl. The mileage sort of made it a 5+ yrs old car, in terms of wear progression.

PPI - pre purchase inspection.
Mar 12, 2016
47 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
They should provide Carfax even if they sell the car "as is" to you, and a dealership in Ontario can not sell a car with lien on title under no circumstances. Vehicle should be free of liens when sold by a dealership. Check this site, got more info there on buying in Ontario: https://www.myusedcar.ca/category/buying-a-car-tips/
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2303 posts
988 upvotes
Hometown
If you are buying it because you think Honda's are reliable, you really should find a trustworthy independent shop and have them look at the vehicle before you even make an offer. If you go to a Honda dealer they might see you has a future cash machine for them, and enhance the quality and value of the vehicle, with the thinking you will be a good frequent new customer. That is unless you have a previous relationship with that dealer and have a built up a level of trust.

While the independent shop is looking at the vehicle as mentioned have them estimate how long the tires will last, how long before it will need brakes. What major services are looming. All of those items can add up quickly.

As stated on the MOT site a safety certificate is NOT a warranty any kind. If done correctly, it only indicates that at the time the vehicle was inspected. It meets the (bare) minimum safety standards to be allowed to be licensed to be on the road in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4170 posts
4302 upvotes
GTA
With 130k it probably needs brakes, tires, and the timing belt if they're all original.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
7 posts
I checked the car out breaks rotors callipers tires are in great shape it’s clean inside to damage same as outside underneath no rust and I used obd no codes or stored codes I drove the car and it sound good