Students

What Subjects Did Your High School Calculus Course Cover?

Poll: What subjects did you cover in high school calculus?

• Total votes: 403. You have voted on this poll.
I did not take high school calculus

1%
Limits

13%
Differentiation

13%
Related Rates/Applications of the Derivative

12%
Curve Sketching/Asymptotes

12%
Trigonometric Derivatives

9%
Logarithmic Derivatives

12%
Exponential Derivatives

12%
Antiderivatives

8%
Integrals

7%
[OP]
Jul 18, 2005
793 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga

What Subjects Did Your High School Calculus Course Cover?

Please select all of the poll options that you covered in your high school calculus course. It seems that things vary from province to province and school to school ever since grade 13 was abolished.

Hopefully, this will let everyone know how prepared they are going to be and identify areas they should review before classes start up.

If you took grade 13 calculus please do not answer the poll and respond in a post instead.

EDIT: Also, if you respond with a post please list the province you took the course in.
JIM
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5100 posts
1724 upvotes
Mississauga
mine covers up to antiderivatives..........bascially, the same thing as 1st year university course... but with a thinner text (Same author though)
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
Um... anti-derivatives and integrals are the same thing....
Jun 14, 2004
26 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
technically no. antiderivatives is a technique of integration and is only applicable for certain cases only. there's a lot mor to integration than just antiderivatives. god, i hate those. :p
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9246 posts
357 upvotes
Holy ****, you kids don't really do anything in Highschool these days eh?

I gradumacated back in 2001 or so, and the second half of the OAC Calc course was all about Integration, by parts, partial fractions, substitution etc.

I hardly learned anything in First Year University, (basically only applications and whatnot)

I don't see how you could not go thru first year with a good mark in Calc without doing Integration thoroughly the first time
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
bananaman wrote:Um... anti-derivatives and integrals are the same thing....
Related...but not the same thing.
Feb 26, 2005
225 posts
101 upvotes
London
Indefinite integrals and antiderivatives actually are the same thing.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1732 posts
242 upvotes
BC
i think i covered most of the stuff u listed.. i think only ontario has grade 13.. i took them all in grade 12.. and i remember it was hard, and when i took it at university, it was almost identical to the one from high school.. the material that is
Aug 29, 2004
439 posts
Planker wrote:Indefinite integrals and antiderivatives actually are the same thing.
ditto:P
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IndefiniteIntegral.html

My HS was pretty backward when it came to mathematics due to the whole double-cohort confusion. However, they did try to remedy the lack of integration in the curriculum through a whopping TWO after-hour sessions.

Thankfully, I spent calc class reading other texts and the first semester of engineering was focused on integration.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37180 posts
5172 upvotes
Winnipeg
definally need to fully understand highschool calc before tackle on university calc, especially for engineering.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7465 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow no differentiation of trig functions? That was a big section in my OAC class.
Apr 16, 2002
831 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote:definally need to fully understand highschool calc before tackle on university calc, especially for engineering.
Eh, I only took up to Exponetial derivates, teacher loosely talked of integrals, but I picked it up really quickly and fast in 1st Calc for Engineers (MATH 117) back in Sept 2003, and had no problems whatsoever.

If you have an understanding of calculus, then integrals should be quite easy to pick up.

--Mark
Jun 2, 2005
154 posts
Vancouver
p51dray wrote:I took IB math HL so I did all that and more. I think the BC calculus curriculum stops with a introduction to antideriviatives. Stuff I didn't do are volume, arc length, surface area... other boring stuff like that.
I took IB Math HL @ SWC in Vancouver. We did integrals. We even did volumes, arc lengths and SA... a lot of us did the AP Calc BC exam too. It was insane for high school. For those of you who go to SWC, Mr Nak is my math teacher. He's nuts! =P
== heatware || ebay ==
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Mine covered all of those, and were WAY harder than any other teacher; I'd see my buddy from another class with a 2-3 page "fill in the blank", while the friends in my class and I would huddle around the terrible marks from our 7-11 page, 14+ full solution test.

Seriously, my Calculus teacher was at least 5x harder than the others, but those that passed his class usually did well in university.

I didn't pass his class, but always respected him and what he tried to do. Failing his class drove me to college, which was the right path for me...
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2632 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg
No Calc offered in the small school I attended...only pre-calc. Really sucked hardcore when I went to university and had to take Engineering Calculus with Dr. Trim. Pretty much 99% of the class new what we were doing for the first several weeks...while I had no clue lol. Since "everyone" knew the material...we blazed through it...that didn't help :lol:
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37180 posts
5172 upvotes
Winnipeg
scottrempel wrote:No Calc offered in the small school I attended...only pre-calc. Really sucked hardcore when I went to university and had to take Engineering Calculus with Dr. Trim. Pretty much 99% of the class new what we were doing for the first several weeks...while I had no clue lol. Since "everyone" knew the material...we blazed through it...that didn't help :lol:
I feel your pain, it happens to the best of us.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Oct 12, 2003
221 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
We didn't cover trig or integrals; which is exactly what the math orientation said we needed to know for first year at UofT. Damn you, high school :evil:
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Mine covered everything, was hell for me b/c I was only taking gr 11 math at that time. :|

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)