• Feb 8th, 2017 8:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes

What to tell Interviewer?

What's my best course of action here?

I told the hr guy who interviewed me that I will have some documents that prove my education by now, since it's part of the job qualifications. Well they must have gotten lost in the mail because it's been 2 weeks and nothing has arrived. I'm gonna arrange someone to pick them up and scan/email it to me since I've moved provinces. Should I explain the situation, or just get the documents submitted and not say anything? I was also supposed to here back from them by now so I don't want them to feel like I'm throwing excuses at them to get their attention.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
It's been 2'weeks, and they haven't reached out to you?
And you've been radio silent to them?

Yeah, you didn't get the job.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
Well I was told they would get back to me whether I make it or not to the next step by the first week of February. So I'll keep some hope til Friday lol

Should I go on an explain in detail why it will be late or just give a short and sweet excuse that it got lost in the mail?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13849 posts
1337 upvotes
I would reach out to them, and at the same time compliment them for doing what few other companies do by actually checking your credentials.

If I were them though, I'd request either sealed transcripts or a copy of actual diplomas, as scanned copies can be easily faked.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
Syne wrote: I would reach out to them, and at the same time compliment them for doing what few other companies do by actually checking your credentials.

If I were them though, I'd request either sealed transcripts or a copy of actual diplomas, as scanned copies can be easily faked.
Thanks that's a good idea. And I'm sure they will eventually want to see the real transcripts when I get further into the interview process but for now the scanned copy will do. I'll get another one sent.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
Well I finally heard back and I did not get the job. But the interviewer suggested that I apply next year when the position re opens. Hopefully that means something haha
Nov 24, 2015
519 posts
159 upvotes
rssdale wrote: What's my best course of action here?

I told the hr guy who interviewed me that I will have some documents that prove my education by now, since it's part of the job qualifications. Well they must have gotten lost in the mail because it's been 2 weeks and nothing has arrived. I'm gonna arrange someone to pick them up and scan/email it to me since I've moved provinces. Should I explain the situation, or just get the documents submitted and not say anything? I was also supposed to here back from them by now so I don't want them to feel like I'm throwing excuses at them to get their attention.
generally i dont think employers check education. At least i dont think they take a paper copy (which is subject to fraud/misrepresentation etc...). Typically in my experience, they use a third party company which can look up your schooling information. The only exception is probably entry level roles in which they ask to see a copy of your transcript.