[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

What TV for my basement reno?

Good day all,

I'm currently finishing my basement and have all the details worked out minus the TV. I placed an order for the Sonos Arc and Sub. I've got 3 valencia theatre chairs in the garage waiting for the reno to be completed.

Now I'm just stuck deciding on a screen for the right price...

I'm looking at 3 possible TVs right now and have offers from the manager at my local visions. Those TVs are: 77" LG C1 OLED, 77" Sony A80j OLED and the 75" Samsung QN90 Neo-qled.

Offers with and without 5 year warranty (visions is offering 2 year warranty on all purchases at the moment) taxes in:

LG C1: $5103.07 or $4651.08
Sony A80j: $5329.07 or $4877.08
Samsung QN90: $4877.07 or $4425.08

I've never owned an OLED set before and my last 4 TVs have all been Samsung.

I'm really leaning towards the C1 but would appreciate some thoughts from the RFD experts. Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2573 posts
871 upvotes
OLED hands down in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of LG by any means, but my LG C9 has met or exceeded all expectations. If LG knows anything, it's OLED. I wouldn't pay Sony extra for their set unless it offered a feature that the LG doesn't that you like.

Have you checked out rtings yet?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ ... the-market
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19109 posts
18964 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In a room with controlled lighting. OLED period. There’s no need to debate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EP32k2 wrote: In a room with controlled lighting. OLED period. There’s no need to debate.
That's what I'm thinking, thoughts on the offer? Seems pretty solid at $4500 with 5 year warranty, although no burn-in coverage.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19109 posts
18964 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Melkor wrote: That's what I'm thinking, thoughts on the offer? Seems pretty solid at $4500 with 5 year warranty, although no burn-in coverage.
I've owned LG OLED since 2016. Have 2 65's and no issues, both with over 5000 hours. Picked up a CX 77" couple months ago and very happy with it (BH deal, with no warranty). At $4500 for a local set that's a great deal.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EP32k2 wrote: I've owned LG OLED since 2016. Have 2 65's and no issues, both with over 5000 hours. Picked up a CX 77" couple months ago and very happy with it (BH deal, with no warranty). At $4500 for a local set that's a great deal.
That's great to hear! I'm already adding 4k blu rays to my cart on Amazon. Hoping to pick up tomorrow. My basement reno is still weeks from being finished but I think I'll temporarily set it up in my living room on the stand. Do you have yours wall mounted? Thanks for your input, it's very appreciated Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6248 posts
2887 upvotes
Durham
I'm more than impressed with the Hisense Q8G that is in my living room.

I'm still in the process of designing my basement ... but it would be a Hisense Q9G or newer model for sure .... really depends on when I complete the basement.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5718 posts
4183 upvotes
LaLaLand
What about a projector? You could get a pretty big viewing area if you can control the light.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1382 posts
513 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: In a room with controlled lighting. OLED period. There’s no need to debate.
I haven't bought a TV in years, so forgive my ignorance. Please confirm, are OLEDs not as good in bright rooms as QLEDs and LEDs?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
batcave wrote: What about a projector? You could get a pretty big viewing area if you can control the light.
I actually started out looking at a projector setup. I considered the Epson 5050ub and the Hisense L5F 100" ultra short throw. I decided against a ceiling mounted projector for a couple of reasons. First reason was because we're doing a drywall ceiling and second because we may be moving within the next 5 years.

I decided against the UST Hisense because it's not true 4k and it doesn't play well with the Sonos Arc. I wanted to go with a clean setup so didn't want to have a receiver and chunky speakers all over the place. I know that in-wall could have been an option, but, as our future in this house isn't for sure, I didn't want to spend a ton of cash for the next owners in the event that we move.
shopper_of_things wrote: I haven't bought a TV in years, so forgive my ignorance. Please confirm, are OLEDs not as good in bright rooms as QLEDs and LEDs?
I'm going to be a first time OLED owner by the end of today. As I wait for my basement to be finished, I'll have it temporarily setup in my living room, which, of course, is much brighter than the environment it will be in.

That said, it's a fact that OLED doesn't get as bright. If I was planning on a new TV for my living room, I'd likely be looking at the Samsung QN90 or if I was going 85" the Sony X91j.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
bobohobo2kx wrote: 77C1 without a doubt. Enjoy your first OLED.
I'm so glad that I went with the C1, what a difference from my 75ru8000. I can't believe how good the 4K HDR classics like Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket look. Honestly, I'm blown away.
Jan 4, 2004
495 posts
83 upvotes
Surrey
Melkor wrote: I actually started out looking at a projector setup. I considered the Epson 5050ub and the Hisense L5F 100" ultra short throw. I decided against a ceiling mounted projector for a couple of reasons. First reason was because we're doing a drywall ceiling and second because we may be moving within the next 5 years.

I decided against the UST Hisense because it's not true 4k and it doesn't play well with the Sonos Arc. I wanted to go with a clean setup so didn't want to have a receiver and chunky speakers all over the place. I know that in-wall could have been an option, but, as our future in this house isn't for sure, I didn't want to spend a ton of cash for the next owners in the event that we move. I'm going to be a first time OLED owner by the end of today. As I wait for my basement to be finished, I'll have it temporarily setup in my living room, which, of course, is much brighter than the environment it will be in.

That said, it's a fact that OLED doesn't get as bright. If I was planning on a new TV for my living room, I'd likely be looking at the Samsung QN90 or if I was going 85" the Sony X91j.
How did u find out it doesn't play well with the sonos arc. I'm asking this because I found out the hard way :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
gti303 wrote: How did u find out it doesn't play well with the sonos arc. I'm asking this because I found out the hard way :)
Ouch. I hope you found a solution or were able to return it. I was unfamiliar with HDMI arc and just googled "Sonos Arc Hisense L5F".

This was the first search result.
Jan 4, 2004
495 posts
83 upvotes
Surrey
Hahah that j's me
Melkor wrote: Ouch. I hope you found a solution or were able to return it. I was unfamiliar with HDMI arc and just googled "Sonos Arc Hisense L5F".

This was the first search result.
Haha thats me! I'm still well in the window for a Costco return. I'd rather not return it... But I might have to as I got a whole sonos system from work... 5.1 works, but I mean... This whole thing is a bit silly. Hopefully I just missed some settings I didn't find yet
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5749 posts
5498 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
gti303 wrote: Hahah that j's me

Haha thats me! I'm still well in the window for a Costco return. I'd rather not return it... But I might have to as I got a whole sonos system from work... 5.1 works, but I mean... This whole thing is a bit silly. Hopefully I just missed some settings I didn't find yet
I just noticed that post was from 2 days ago! Must have read it somewhere else. May have been on AVS forum or something like that.

I hope you find a solution!!