• Feb 9th, 2020 3:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1839 posts
275 upvotes
Markham

What type of money Costa Rica

Hi, I hope some experienced traveller to Costa Rica can help.
I have been reading about fraudulent or duplicate credit transactions occurring in this country and by the time you are on to them, you are home and resolution can be futile.
Can anybody advise what type of currency should I take, and does anyone have advice about using credit card? We leave on the 8 th.
Thanks so much
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1093 posts
552 upvotes
Ottawa
I've brought USD every time, it's accepted everywhere there.
They'll usually give you change back in CR Colón's, so have a currency converter on your phone, or atleast a rough idea of the exchange, so they don't totally rip you off.
I've used my visa's there with tour companies, car rental companies, and i believe phone carriers, without issue. Just keep an eye on your CC in your banking app to ensure nothing sketchy is going on.

Also, if you're going to a resort, make sure you bring a TON of 1 dollar bills for tipping.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2729 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PCUSER wrote: Hi, I hope some experienced traveller to Costa Rica can help.
I have been reading about fraudulent or duplicate credit transactions occurring in this country and by the time you are on to them, you are home and resolution can be futile.
Can anybody advise what type of currency should I take, and does anyone have advice about using credit card? We leave on the 8 th.
Thanks so much
I would bring the “colon” (their local currency)

If you buy things in USD then you will receive the change in Colon. Given the USD is a tourist currency if you calculate prices you are better off paying with the colon or just use a credit card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1839 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
Thanks everybody!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1668 posts
440 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
No matter where I go, I always pay with the local currency. How would you feel if you had a business here and someone try to pay with Euros for example? Yes, I know that US dollars are almost accepted everywhere, but the locals still need to exchange them too.

About the credit card scam, where they change the currency: we came back from Mexico yesterday, where we used our credit cards a few times in restaurants and gas stations I have a Mexican SIM card and we set up our credit cards, so that whenever there’s a transaction in a foreign currency, we receive an email from the CC company with the charges in CDN dollars. We always waited for the email, before leaving the place where the transaction occurred. If something would have gone wrong, we could have addressed it right there and then.