Automotive

What Type of OEM Brake pads came with my Car?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 10:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1798 posts
435 upvotes

What Type of OEM Brake pads came with my Car?

Had a quote of $520 for a rear brake job and for front brake servicing on my 2016 Camry. Apparently my rears were in bad shape, they were seized and would need replacement rotors etc.

The garage said they’d be using aftermarket ceramic pads that would perform ‘just as well‘ as the car’s OEM pads.

I didn’t think to ask at the time but, what type of pads came with the original car? For some reason, I thought they would’ve been semi-metallic, in which case the performance won’t be the same (especially in extreme cold).

Quick search of the web doesn’t seem to yield an answer, surprisingly
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4322 posts
1367 upvotes
Mississauga
Camry will not come with semi metallic pads.
They are quite dusty and more noise prone.

Unless you have the XSE TRD trim, even then I don't think they'd put semimetallic pads in the rear.

It's most likely just ceramic pads like most Toyotas.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9013 posts
2978 upvotes
Toronto
OEM is almost certainly semi-metallic. Ceramic pads are typically more expensive.

EDIT: The last set of genuine Toyota brake pads I bought were definitely semi-mettalic but that was some years ago and they may have switched to ceramic since then.

As for rears being seized, can you confirm that? Most obvious symptoms would be lousy mileage and front of car diving under heavy braking.
Last edited by Jimbobs on Jul 11th, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12790 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
Jimbobs wrote: OEM is almost certainly semi-metallic. Ceramic pads are typically more expensive.

As for rears being seized, can you confirm that? Most obvious symptoms would be lousy mileage and front of car diving under heavy braking.
Wrong.

Toyotas are ceramic Made by Akebono.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8189 posts
5099 upvotes
Mississauga
Four year old car and the rear brakes are shot? How many kilometers on it?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2683 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga
If brakes are seized, I think you'll need to keep up with your brake service!! Keeping them lubed up and calipers won't seize or "stuck" or drag your brakes while you drive.

I have the same car but 2015, I find that the Rear brakes usually don't "wear out" as quick as the fronts as the front takes most of the "braking power" [But I can be wrong]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6967 posts
6097 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Four year old car and the rear brakes are shot? How many kilometers on it?
That's not surprising especially for newer cars . 4 yrs or 80k is pretty good for a regular sedan

Rear brakes tend to go first on a lot of cars especially ones from last 10+ years as rear bias is desired to reduce dive

It's quite normal and common for rear to need replacement first nowadays
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16512 posts
5025 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote: Camry will not come with semi metallic pads.
They are quite dusty and more noise prone.

Unless you have the XSE TRD trim, even then I don't think they'd put semimetallic pads in the rear.

It's most likely just ceramic pads like most Toyotas.
Sorry, I don't think you are correct here. I have been driving Camry's since 2002, and the original pads have no issues with dust or noise. The Camry pads and rotors are quite good and not too expensive compared to good quality aftermarket parts.

Bobor, the Original rotors are $100 each, and a set of original pads is $90 per axel. Generally, the front pads and rotors last me 110K, and the rears about 130K. If you don't do a brake service every 35K, you will find that the calipers can bind due to lack of lubrication of the slide pins.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Markham, take it to Basil @ T-Lex auto as he does a great brake job (been going there since 2005). He is cheaper than a dealership and does much better work. You can pay about the same price using OEM parts. The issue is not the parts, as what you talk about is more of a lack of maintenance problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4322 posts
1367 upvotes
Mississauga
hightech wrote: Sorry, I don't think you are correct here. I have been driving Camry's since 2002, and the original pads have no issues with dust or noise. The Camry pads and rotors are quite good and not too expensive compared to good quality aftermarket parts.

Bobor, the Original rotors are $100 each, and a set of original pads is $90 per axel. Generally, the front pads and rotors last me 110K, and the rears about 130K. If you don't do a brake service every 35K, you will find that the calipers can bind due to lack of lubrication of the slide pins.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Markham, take it to Basil @ T-Lex auto as he does a great brake job (been going there since 2005). He is cheaper than a dealership and does much better work. You can pay about the same price using OEM parts. The issue is not the parts, as what you talk about is more of a lack of maintenance problem.
Are you saying semi metallic pads are not more dusty and noisier than ceramic pads?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1177 posts
1055 upvotes
For daily driver not too worried about lowest rock bottom prices, OEM parts for brakes, Japanese cars at least, and small garage to install and service. Brake fluid usually too after 2 years.

Hard driving, stop and go all day maybe aftermarket.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2458 posts
3260 upvotes
Barrie, ON
wing0 wrote: Are you saying semi metallic pads are not more dusty and noisier than ceramic pads?
Dusty yes, noisier? No. Ceramics are way noisier until they actually get some heat in them, and for a daily make no sense.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19184 posts
22076 upvotes
GTA
mxthor3 wrote: Dusty yes, noisier? No. Ceramics are way noisier until they actually get some heat in them, and for a daily make no sense.
Noise? I've never had noise from any ceramic pad, or any street pad for that matter. Only my track pads ever made noise.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16512 posts
5025 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote: Are you saying semi metallic pads are not more dusty and noisier than ceramic pads?
I am saying that I have not had any issues related to dust or noise with the Camry OEM pads. I can't comment on other things as I have not tried them. I tend to stick with OEM Toyota parts for brakes.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1937 posts
2208 upvotes
bobor wrote: . Apparently my rears were in bad shape, they were seized and would need replacement rotors etc.

The garage said they’d be using aftermarket ceramic pads that would perform ‘just as well‘ as the car’s OEM pads.
I find it best to keep things equal so the pads last longer and better performance rather than mixing them up.

If replacing the front and rear, use the same brand of pads, oem or aftermarket.

If just replacing the rear, use the same brand as the front. So if the front are still original factory pads, use factory rear pads.

Do regular brake services so the don't sieze to get equal wear.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18769 posts
18330 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mrweather wrote: Four year old car and the rear brakes are shot? How many kilometers on it?
I need to do pads and rotors around 60k on my car and it's normal for it...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1031 posts
794 upvotes
hightech wrote: Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Markham, take it to Basil @ T-Lex auto as he does a great brake job (been going there since 2005). He is cheaper than a dealership and does much better work. You can pay about the same price using OEM parts. The issue is not the parts, as what you talk about is more of a lack of maintenance problem.
May I ask how much the brake service usually cost at T-Lex?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16512 posts
5025 upvotes
Toronto
Jigsaw wrote: May I ask how much the brake service usually cost at T-Lex?
Brake service is $125 and this involves taking apart everything, removing rust, cleaning the components as needed. Basil is very thorough and the brakes look very good after service. Some places just spray cleaner and take your money
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6789 posts
2552 upvotes
BC
These discussions about brake pad types usually get confusing.

For passenger vehicles there are essentially 3 types of pads - organic, ceramic and semi-metallic.

But it's not quite as simple as that.

Ceramic pads may have copper fibres in them, so they are sort of semi-metallic (ceramics on their own wouldn't cut it), and organic pads may have glass fibres in them.

Of course, semi-metallic pads have more copper and other metals than ceramic pads do, but the point is it's not black and white.

Differing heat transfer capability is a big design consideration, and no question that semi-metallic wins on that performance issue.
(That's distinct from how well the pad itself performs over a temperature range.)
The heat transfer characteristic is important as to its long-term effect on the related brake components (rotors, fluid, etc.) as well as immediate performance impact.

All brake pad types are dusty, or they wouldn't be doing the job. With organics and ceramics the particles are not as visible as with semi-metallics..
Semi-metallic pads will probably wearing the rotors a bit faster too, so there is additional dust from that.
The actual metal component in semi-metallics can vary quite considerably, so comparisons are difficult.

No question that semi-metallic pads can be the noisiest of the three, but noise is a subjective term.

Another reason for staying with the same material as factory is that the O.E. choice may be matched to the carbon content of the rotors, or their hardness.
But if you are replacing the rotors with non-O.E. anyway, that becomes moot.

The majority of cars (domestic and imported) probably still come with organic pads, but Germans have always favoured semi-metallic, and Japanese cars ceramics.
Don't count on that rule though. Car manufacturers will do what is in their best interests more often than yours.
Jun 10, 2016
469 posts
354 upvotes
Brampton
I have a 2012 Buick Verano and thinking that I'll need new brakes soon (only 57 000km on it though). I am new to all this brake talk - what should I be looking at getting? and how much should I be looking at paying (thinking ill get brake pads and rotors when the time comes)??
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6570 posts
4102 upvotes
Toronto
muscleflex wrote: I have a 2012 Buick Verano and thinking that I'll need new brakes soon (only 57 000km on it though). I am new to all this brake talk - what should I be looking at getting? and how much should I be looking at paying (thinking ill get brake pads and rotors when the time comes)??
Have you done any brake service in past 8 years?

You need brake fluid flush for sure. It's good idea to change out the rotors and pads too but if you been this frugal, why change em now if pads still have lot of meat on them and you can run them for few more years.