• May 27th, 2022 9:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

What type of Viet noodles are these??

I always buy these prepackaged Viet noodle meals at Nguyen Truong Viet stores. I can't figure out what they are called. Assume they are rice noodles or vermicelli of some sort. I cannot find them at Asian grocers, at least not in the same thickness or texture. Any1 know what they care called and where can you buy them?? Figure I can make it myself seeing they raised prices 3X this year already...

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9826 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
They're Banh Canh noodles.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
4flava wrote: They're Banh Canh noodles.
K, they call it vietnamese udon noodles. Have not seen these in asian grocers here. Do you know which specific asian grocers sell these or equivalents?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9826 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
They’re usually sold in its dry form. Where are you located? If you’re in the GTA area, you can pretty much find them everywhere. Nations, B&T…
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
4flava wrote: They’re usually sold in its dry form. Where are you located? If you’re in the GTA area, you can pretty much find them everywhere. Nations, B&T…
GTA. Bestco, Farm fresh, T&T, Spadina, Broadview/Gerrard - they all sell rice/vermicelli noodles but none that I recall packaged as "Banh Canh". Do they go under different name? Texture and thickness are different than rice or vermicelli noodles.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9826 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: GTA. Bestco, Farm fresh, T&T, Spadina, Broadview/Gerrard - they all sell rice/vermicelli noodles but none that I recall packaged as "Banh Canh". Do they go under different name? Texture and thickness are different than rice or vermicelli noodles.
It is often times called "Rice Spaghetti" on the package but it should also say "Banh Canh" or "Banh Canh Kho" on the package.. here are a few examples I found online. Banh canh is made with a combination of Tapioca and rice flour.. That's why it has a different texture.

ImageImageImageImage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9826 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
I forget to mention that they sometimes sold in frozen packages like this..

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48648 posts
12063 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Yep thats the one I get.
Surprised OP can't find it. They are VERY common. They even have them at no frills.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6442 posts
6305 upvotes
4flava wrote: They're Banh Canh noodles.
Looks more like bun to me than banh canh. Could be wrong though
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
UrbanPoet wrote: Yep thats the one I get.
Surprised OP can't find it. They are VERY common. They even have them at no frills.
Nope those arent it. As said rice noodles and vermicelli are not the same texture and taste. The package says lai fun/bun bo hue. Different noodle type. Yes, I buy those all the time for bbq char sui lai fun or roast duck lai fun. Sorry, not the same.
Last edited by aznnorth on May 22nd, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
KanataKG wrote: Looks more like bun to me than banh canh. Could be wrong though
Correct. Bun noodles not banh canh. Banh canh are not vermicelli or lai fun noodles.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Strange, these noodles are not popular. Went to Farm Fields Asian grocer right beside Nguyen Truong. In the entire aisle of vermicelli, rice noodles, K-noodles there is only 1 small slot for banh canh. Picked up 2 packs.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
Never seen these Viet Udon noodles aka Bahn Cahn like that. I've bought Udon packaged and sold like that...always wondered how they can stay like that.

Souped Up Recipes just posted a video on how to make these at home if you want to or don't have access to Asian Grocer who sells it.

Rice Flour and Tapioca Starch.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2388 posts
887 upvotes
Ontario
KanataKG wrote: Looks more like bun to me than banh canh. Could be wrong though
Yeah these do not look thick and chewy like Banh canh. These look like bun for bun bo hue, so thicker rice vermicelli noodle vs Tapioca Viet udon
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9826 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
Dynasty12345 wrote: Yeah these do not look thick and chewy like Banh canh. These look like bun for bun bo hue, so thicker rice vermicelli noodle vs Tapioca Viet udon
Yeah, IMO it'll either be bun bo hue or banh canh noodles. I said banh canh cuz it's a thicker noodle vs BBH but the image is zoomed in so the noodles could be thinner than it looks. I think op should just ask the store what type of noodles they use. LOL
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13655 posts
2996 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Every1 is wrong, lolol. It's NOT banh canh. It's Vietnamese rice vermicelli (thin type). Bun Tuoi. Apparently here's how the viet noodles are separated for use.

Banh canh - for soups, tapioca sticks. Very soft and translucent when cooked. Doesnt turn white. If you overcook it dissolves into a paste. Yuck, lol.
Bun tuoi - used for wraps and bowls. Will say bun tuoi right on the package. This is the type they use in pre-packaged meals or dry meals at places like Nguyen Huong.
Bun Giang Tay - thinner, shorter version of Bun bo hue. They come in very thin, medium thickness when cooked. Soups.
Bun Bo Hue - the thickest of the viet noodles. Used for Bun Bo Hue, is the XL version of Bun Giang Tay. Soups.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)