Automotive

What is a typical repair cost for a Camry Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler Pulley and Serpentine Belt replacement?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 6:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15368 posts
3695 upvotes
Toronto

What is a typical repair cost for a Camry Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler Pulley and Serpentine Belt replacement?

I have a 2012 Camry 4 Cyl LE with 189K on it. I suspect I will need to replace the following items at some point and wanted to know what the cost is:

Replace: Water Pump, Tensioner, Idler Pulley, Serpentine Belt, Coolant
Inspect and possibly replace if needed the Radiator Cap and Coolant Hoses.

Note: New thermostat and coolant was replaced at around 160K.

I don't have any coolant loss and the vehicle temperature appears to be working correctly. On my older 2002 Camry V6, I replaced the Timing Belt and Water pump around 140K. The newer Camry has a timing chain that is not typically replaced.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4156 posts
2537 upvotes
Ontario
Unless a component is a known issue I wouldn't replace any item before it fails especially on a Toyota. Doing unnecessary work can create issues from messing with it. People pay extra for a Toyota supposedly so you don't have to wrench as much.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
If you have some what of a good eye, inspect the belt for wear on the teeth and cracks. If the belt is good and nothing is squeaking, I would say you are good to go. Inspection of the hood liner will give you any indication of a water pump leaks, it will typically spray water around.

I had a serp belt snap, took the idlers pully with it. Wasn't an issue until all the lights in the dash started to blink. Lost all power steering and you talk about steam. Drove it for another 5mins or so and backed the car into the driveway. Dumped money into it, wasted cash. Had the car pulled away to the dump a few months later. Was 97' malibu.

In my case, belt was about $20, pulley was less, water pump was a $120 or so. This was in ... 2012. Labor would have been about $80/hr so easy tack on about 3-4hrs. You'd probably be looking at about $700-800 all in. That's a guess obviously for a garage to provide all the parts, fluids, ect...
Bevatron wrote: Unless a component is a known issue I wouldn't replace any item before it fails especially on a Toyota. Doing unnecessary work can create issues from messing with it. People pay extra for a Toyota supposedly so you don't have to wrench as much.
lol. Nice one.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4156 posts
2537 upvotes
Ontario
koffey wrote: If you have some what of a good eye, inspect the belt for wear on the teeth and cracks. If the belt is good and nothing is squeaking, I would say you are good to go. Inspection of the hood liner will give you any indication of a water pump leaks, it will typically spray water around.

I had a serp belt snap, took the idlers pully with it. Wasn't an issue until all the lights in the dash started to blink. Lost all power steering and you talk about steam. Drove it for another 5mins or so and backed the car into the driveway. Dumped money into it, wasted cash. Had the car pulled away to the dump a few months later. Was 97' malibu.

In my case, belt was about $20, pulley was less, water pump was a $120 or so. This was in ... 2012. Labor would have been about $80/hr so easy tack on about 3-4hrs. You'd probably be looking at about $700-800.



lol. Nice one.
Why put $700-800 dollars into a scrapper like you say you should have and that is only one item that you would be seeking to protect amongst many other possible failures.

From my experience I don't think Toyotas are more reliable than average but people do pay up front for Toyota longevity so why pay both ends.

My Camry has original water pump and belts at almost 300k km. 2012 with 189k km - I wouldn't go beyond inspection.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
Bevatron wrote: Why put $700-800 dollars into a scrapper like you say you should have and that is only one item that you would be seeking to protect amongst many other possible failures.

From my experience I don't think Toyotas are more reliable than average but people do pay up front for Toyota longevity so why pay both ends.

My Camry has original water pump and belts at almost 300k km. 2012 with 189k km - I wouldn't go beyond inspection.
I totally agree as well. I mean toyotas are basically unicorns of automotive universe and unless something fails, don't touch it. Every cabbie knows that.

Also another reason why everyone would rather uber.

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4156 posts
2537 upvotes
Ontario
koffey wrote: I totally agree as well. I mean toyotas are basically unicorns of automotive universe and unless something fails, don't touch it. Every cabbie knows that.

Also another reason why everyone would rather uber.

lol
Just as background when I was servicing my Toyota at main dealer for warranty (oil and filter) they were always trying to upsell me on preventative maintenance over and above what was in the schedule. They said the reason Toyotas were so reliable was Toyota owners OVER service them. They convince lots of people to hand over the credit card I am sure.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15368 posts
3695 upvotes
Toronto
@koffey @Bevatron

Thanks for your feedback. I try to be proactive about fixes vs. waiting till things overheat and I get stranded on the road. By then, the engine is also damaged as well as some gaskets so that preventative repair now includes additional things. The last time the vehicle was checked out, they said it was OK but that was a year or so ago. I am just trying to get an idea of what the possible repair costs are so that I know what to expect.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
Best option, is to use rockauto to get an idea of part sourcing price, tack on a few extra because overhead, ect..., and use whatever garage pricing. So if Toyota charges $120/hr, add 4-5 hrs. It's better to be over in your estimate than under. If you think it's going to cost you $1000 and it only cost you $650, well, **** me silly, that's just awesome! Than to guess $650 and have it $1000.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4156 posts
2537 upvotes
Ontario
hightech wrote: @koffey @Bevatron

Thanks for your feedback. I try to be proactive about fixes vs. waiting till things overheat and I get stranded on the road. By then, the engine is also damaged as well as some gaskets so that preventative repair now includes additional things. The last time the vehicle was checked out, they said it was OK but that was a year or so ago. I am just trying to get an idea of what the possible repair costs are so that I know what to expect.
Don't forget you will have a dealer (or other non-brand service centre) doing the work. My experience of repairs/servicing at my main dealer was not good. Just keep that in mind if you ask them to take spanners to it. Its not a Toyota factory environment like when the car was built.

If you inspect regularly you should be good. Water pump tends to start leaking rather than fail catastrophically. In the unlikely event the belt snaps you will get a warning straight away - just replace at recommended intervals.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
861 posts
1290 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Visual check belt for cracks. If it's fine keep driving it. I bet the entire setup will last to 300k at least.

Top