Students

what universities come to mind when you think of a solid liberal arts program?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham

what universities come to mind when you think of a solid liberal arts program?

just like the title of this thread-

i'd like to get a few honest opinions about which schools you feel have a solid liberal arts (history, philosophy, english, political science, etc) program.

(btw, before anyone starts bashing liberal arts and how "useless" it is, i'd like for everyone to stay on topic. just give me a few schools in Canada you think has the strongest/stronger liberal arts faculty/emphasis).

for simplicity sake, let's disregard the specific degree designations (B Arts in Psychology, versus B Science in Psychology). just think of the discipline itself please.

thank you!

**EDITED***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the responses so far...

the above poster is correct in saying that it's kinda vague because all universities have arts programs.

let me reword the question of the original post:

out of the universities in Ontario (you can include other provinces, but for the sake of narrowing down choices let's say Ontario for now), which of them are more well known for arts than others?

here's an example: if someone were to ask about business programs, most ppl would agree that Queen's Commerce is more established than say, University of Guelph (no bashing here, just based on how big faculty is, employer recruitment, and alumni base).

i realize that it's hard to compare arts programs from different schools because every school offer arts. but there must be some level of (lack of better word- sorry) "objectivity" . For instance, UWaterloo is not really known for their arts programs. It's more for Math/Science related.

So can anyone think of a university that is more known for arts than others?

Thanks again. Btw, I do realize that this is a forum, and some ppl will throw random responses, but there's no harm in asking.

thanks for the responses above btw.
35 replies
Aug 11, 2008
637 posts
221 upvotes
Foundation Year Program at King's College in Halifax. Check it out, I have friends who LOVED it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
thanks inmyturret.

*bump* more replies please!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2006
2069 posts
50 upvotes
No particular order.

Arts One? at UBC. McGill/Queens/UofT/UofAlberta.

I know many people who like'd the liberal arts programs at both concordia and laurier too, but both schools are very left wing, so if that is where your interests lye you may like those as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
sweeper wrote: U of T and McGill
are you picking these schools just because of the big names? btw, are you talking about undergrad or graduate?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10467 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
I would say UofT. I'm taking a history seminar course and a political science course right now and I really feel that the courses are solid and thus, the programs themselves as well.
Mar 2, 2009
68 posts
sweeper wrote: U of T and McGill
These are solid schools in general, I don't know if either are known for their liberal arts programs.
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
if you're not willing to spend money for rent or dorm residence, then your local university should be okay.

however if money is no object, then UBC, McGill, Queen's, Western, UAlberta, UOttawa

Newfoundland looks beautiful in pictures-

I wonder if their university is good

http://www.mun.ca/

British Columbia has the best weather so I would pick UBC.
Banned
Feb 16, 2004
2980 posts
2 upvotes
york.. because if you're going into arts you might as well pick up the hottest girls.
Nov 22, 2008
326 posts
Do you really trust the opinions of random people from a forum? This isn't a shot at anyone here, but when I made my decision, I did some independent research to form my own opinion.

Wouldn't it be better to visit schools, request information and research the schools that you are interested in?
"If churches don't have to pay taxes, they also can't call the fire department when they catch fire. Sorry reverend, that's one of those services that goes along with paying in. I'll use the fire department I pay for. You can pray for rain." -Bill Maher
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
I heard people say good things about Laurier's arts program.

If you want to go to a smaller school that is still respected, that could be a good choice.

Just saying arts is kinda vuage though. Arts is the majorty of most schools.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
thanks for the responses so far...

the above poster is correct in saying that it's kinda vague because all universities have arts programs.

let me reword the question of the original post:

out of the universities in Ontario (you can include other provinces, but for the sake of narrowing down choices let's say Ontario for now), which of them are more well known for arts than others?

here's an example: if someone were to ask about business programs, most ppl would agree that Queen's Commerce is more established than say, University of Guelph (no bashing here, just based on how big faculty is, employer recruitment, and alumni base).

i realize that it's hard to compare arts programs from different schools because every school offer arts. but there must be some level of (lack of better word- sorry) "objectivity" :confused: . For instance, UWaterloo is not really known for their arts programs. It's more for Math/Science related.

So can anyone think of a university that is more known for arts than others?

Thanks again. Btw, I do realize that this is a forum, and some ppl will throw random responses, but there's no harm in asking.

thanks for the responses above btw.
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
Apparently, Western has the nicest campus in Ontario.
Nov 22, 2008
326 posts
The thing about the term "arts" is that they aren't really related in a way that say "business" or "sciences" have similar subjects. Like you could group Chemistry, Biology into sciences, and Marketing and Accounting into business, but there are a lot of diverse subjects in liberal arts.

For example, English, Psychology, Journalism are fairly different fields of study...so again, you'd have to be more specific.

Like what are you majoring in specifically, if you don't mind me asking? It would probably be easier to narrow it down that way.
"If churches don't have to pay taxes, they also can't call the fire department when they catch fire. Sorry reverend, that's one of those services that goes along with paying in. I'll use the fire department I pay for. You can pray for rain." -Bill Maher
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
Arts students can take science classes. Probably business courses too.
Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
How is University of Ottawa or Carleton?
Nov 22, 2008
326 posts
nyrz wrote: Arts students can take science classes. Probably business courses too.
I never said they couldn't. Electives make it possible to take anything.