What University to choose?

[OP]
Jan 20, 2008
103 posts
2 upvotes
London, ON

What University to choose?

Hi guys,

just wanted to know your opinions. I am a Fanshawe College Graduate and I have a few options laid out for me. I have narrowed it down to 2.

Option1: Nipissing University
Length: 1 year
Degree: Bachelors of Commerce - Accounting Major

Option 2: Ryerson University
Length: 2 years
Degree: Bachelors of Commerce - Entrepeneurship or Finance Major

I would like to know which route you guys would take. I graduated from Fanshawe's Busienss Administration accounting program and have background in Finance. But does the name matter anymore? and If so how important is it. i have till the end of the month to accept one. I don't understand why so late but that is what their letters say. So please detail as to why you would choose one over the otehr so i can gain a better depth and hopeful help me make the right decision.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2008
3972 posts
677 upvotes
haixin wrote: Hi guys,

just wanted to know your opinions. I am a Fanshawe College Graduate and I have a few options laid out for me. I have narrowed it down to 2.

Option1: Nipissing University
Length: 1 year
Degree: Bachelors of Commerce - Accounting Major

Option 2: Ryerson University
Length: 2 years
Degree: Bachelors of Commerce - Entrepeneurship or Finance Major

I would like to know which route you guys would take. I graduated from Fanshawe's Busienss Administration accounting program and have background in Finance. But does the name matter anymore? and If so how important is it. i have till the end of the month to accept one. I don't understand why so late but that is what their letters say. So please detail as to why you would choose one over the otehr so i can gain a better depth and hopeful help me make the right decision.
I would say Ryerson because it is a more well known school. Although, name doesn't always matter, I think in a lot of cases it does. That being said, it depends on what you want to do after your Bachelors of Commerce. If you want to get a job, I would say Ryerson. If you're applying to do a professional program, say CA/CGMA/MBA/etc, it doesn't matter as much so long as you can get really high grades and show that you've done other things. From what I know from others, Ryerson is the better education and does offer things such as co-op with some well-known companies/organizations (ie journalist program, you get to do co-op with Toronto star), which in turn is good for your CV/resume later on. I don't know that much about Nippising, but maybe someone can vouche for that university here?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
85 upvotes
T-CellReceptor wrote: I would say Ryerson because it is a more well known school. Although, name doesn't always matter, I think in a lot of cases it does. That being said, it depends on what you want to do after your Bachelors of Commerce. If you want to get a job, I would say Ryerson. If you're applying to do a professional program, say CA/CGMA/MBA/etc, it doesn't matter as much so long as you can get really high grades and show that you've done other things. From what I know from others, Ryerson is the better education and does offer things such as co-op with some well-known companies/organizations (ie journalist program, you get to do co-op with Toronto star), which in turn is good for your CV/resume later on. I don't know that much about Nippising, but maybe someone can vouche for that university here?
Ryerson's Business Management doesn't offer co-op. They offer assistance on finding summer internships.

OP: I'd say Ryerson because it's closer to home and it's easier to just hop on a Greyhound to head to London. Also, Ryerson has more bartering power on employers versus Nipissing.
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
1 upvote
I've never even heard of Nipissing University.. go to Ryerson.
Apr 21, 2010
126 posts
126 upvotes
QC
Definitly Ryerson.

One-year program for Accounting, that doesn't sound like you could learn a lot.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3373 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
iceseason wrote: definitly ryerson.

One-year program for accounting, that doesn't sound like you could learn a lot.
+1
Jun 30, 2010
63 posts
2 upvotes
Ryerson University is more well known than Nipissing University.
Nov 11, 2009
495 posts
7 upvotes
Ryerson can't be that bad for Business... Don't majority of the students go there b/c of their business program??
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4163 posts
998 upvotes
like the others said, I'm not sure how prepared you will be to take those professional exams after only 1 year of learning.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2008
103 posts
2 upvotes
London, ON
Hi guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I just want to do some clarification here:

Nipissing will be done here in London. I have 3 years of Accounting background
and this will add 4 so the the knowledge is not much of an issue. Though the exams will be hard regardless of which school I suppose. Though i do plan to do a Master's I would want to do some work first. That being said, I do know some of the teachers at Fanshawe. As for Ryerson, as i mentioned I did like the professor who held the entrepreneur seminar.

Ryerson is known very well for their business program. As for Nipissing, it use to be a college of Laurentian University which is well known for its business school as well and in 1997 it became a University. It's well known for its teacher's college.

I guess I could make the Ryerson program into 16 months. Since I will most likely do summer school if I choose that route. However, when I was reading through MacLean's University guide for the last few years. I noticed that each of the past few years Ryerson refused to release the results of how their students ranked them. Yet Nipissing ranked very well. Fairly high Amongst the top 7 I believe, which even shocked me. But Ryerson's refusal to release the results kind of had me on the edge.
Apr 26, 2010
894 posts
153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
haixin wrote: Hi guys,

I guess I could make the Ryerson program into 16 months. Since I will most likely do summer school if I choose that route. However, when I was reading through MacLean's University guide for the last few years. I noticed that each of the past few years Ryerson refused to release the results of how their students ranked them. Yet Nipissing ranked very well. Fairly high Amongst the top 7 I believe, which even shocked me. But Ryerson's refusal to release the results kind of had me on the edge.
The Maclean's guide is should not be a big factor, a lot of schools chooses not to participate in it fyi. Anyways if i was in your shoes, i would go to Ryerson as well.