What vacuum sealer should I get?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 6:32 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: VP215
I mean... I already sold you so it's easy but trying to sell someone new at now $2000 but for a basically bullet proof machine (oil vs air) is doubly hard.
Also I didn't know you got a VP120. For some reason I thought you got a VP112(S)
What's the chamber area of the VP120? How do you like it?
May 28, 2012
10922 posts
3102 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote: I mean... I already sold you so it's easy but trying to sell someone new at now $2000 but for a basically bullet proof machine (oil vs air) is doubly hard.
Also I didn't know you got a VP120. For some reason I thought you got a VP112(S)
What's the chamber area of the VP120? How do you like it?
I don't think it has a much larger interior area. I just checked another forum online and it mentions the chamber sizes for the various models: VP112 (WxDxH: 12” x 11” x 5”), VP120 (11.75" X 11.5" X 4"),VP215 (11.25” x 15.25” x 5”).

I like it a lot, not only because it takes a button to use the functions. It can fit small (125-250 mL) canning jars - I vacuum seal a lot of items in these jars, i.e. spices, honey, dried fruit, pine nuts, etc. Keeps them almost indefinitely. I even seal up small quantities of cookies and crackers to keep them fresh longer. I think there is a Food Saver attachment that works for larger mason jars but I'm okay with using the small jars. I have wasted a lot less food since buying this sealer. I don't have a huge kitchen and it takes up a huge amount of counter space but it's worth it - wouldn't make sense to have it anywhere else because when you are dealing with packaging raw meat, it's good to have a sink nearby.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I don't think it has a much larger interior area. I just checked another forum online and it mentions the chamber sizes for the various models: VP112 (WxDxH: 12” x 11” x 5”), VP120 (11.75" X 11.5" X 4"),VP215 (11.25” x 15.25” x 5”).
Oh that doesn't seem bad at all. Sounds like you can use a 12x14 bag too.
I like it a lot, not only because it takes a button to use the functions. It can fit small (125-250 mL) canning jars - I vacuum seal a lot of items in these jars, i.e. spices, honey, dried fruit, pine nuts, etc. Keeps them almost indefinitely. I even seal up small quantities of cookies and crackers to keep them fresh longer.
Oh man... you'd love the VP112 then. I can JUST do 500mL jars.
I actually bought some tattler reusable lids for this.
I don't use jars too often since the cost of them is fairly high (relatively speaking) but I do use them on occasion.
I think there is a Food Saver attachment that works for larger mason jars but I'm okay with using the small jars.
Yup. I've always wanted to see if the accessory port on the VP112 works with it. If it did, that'd be just peachy.

I have wasted a lot less food since buying this sealer.
Yup. Nothing goes fuzzy any more.
This is true of any vacuum sealer, but it's much easier to save small dollar values when your bag cost is $0.03 vs $0.30.
Saving a buck on something you'd normally toss is fairly inconsequential but when you do this a bunch of times a week it adds up.
I don't have a huge kitchen and it takes up a huge amount of counter space but it's worth it - wouldn't make sense to have it anywhere else because when you are dealing with packaging raw meat, it's good to have a sink nearby.
I actually just moved mine to my "den" because I put a giant stainless steel table in there.
It's not so bad because I can do all my prep in the kitchen then put it in an insert and bring it over to my sealer.
In and out and back into the insert goes straight into the fridge in said insert.
May 28, 2012
10922 posts
3102 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote: Oh that doesn't seem bad at all. Sounds like you can use a 12x14 bag too.

Oh man... you'd love the VP112 then. I can JUST do 500mL jars.
I actually bought some tattler reusable lids for this.
I don't use jars too often since the cost of them is fairly high (relatively speaking) but I do use them on occasion.

Yup. I've always wanted to see if the accessory port on the VP112 works with it. If it did, that'd be just peachy.

Yup. Nothing goes fuzzy any more.
This is true of any vacuum sealer, but it's much easier to save small dollar values when your bag cost is $0.03 vs $0.30.
Saving a buck on something you'd normally toss is fairly inconsequential but when you do this a bunch of times a week it adds up.

I actually just moved mine to my "den" because I put a giant stainless steel table in there.
It's not so bad because I can do all my prep in the kitchen then put it in an insert and bring it over to my sealer.
In and out and back into the insert goes straight into the fridge in said insert.
I meant the FoodSaver attachment is for use with a FoodSaver system...I don't think it would work with a chamber sealer. I've heard both good and bad reviews about its effectiveness though.

Where did you get your Tattler lids? I was looking into getting some but the cost was so much more in Canada. I don't need them anymore because I bought a life time supply of Bernardin lids for cheap last year.

If I can convince the children to move out, maybe that would free up some space, lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I meant the FoodSaver attachment is for use with a FoodSaver system...I don't think it would work with a chamber sealer. I've heard both good and bad reviews about its effectiveness though.
I know, but I'm hoping the accessory ports for both are close enough that it might work.
I think I have one floating around somewhere in storage, but I'm not sure where so I can't test it.
Where did you get your Tattler lids? I was looking into getting some but the cost was so much more in Canada. I don't need them anymore because I bought a life time supply of Bernardin lids for cheap last year.
Oddly enough Crappy Tire had them, but only one store in the entirety of Vancouver.
I'm not even sure they have them any more since I cleaned them out.
If I can convince the children to move out, maybe that would free up some space, lol.
Yeet them out the door.
Vacuum4lyfe! #hashtag

I'm pretty sure I just gave like 4 people a brain aneurysm.
Jul 3, 2017
114 posts
240 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I've heard this too which is apparently why there's a giant sign on the thing saying use 2 hands.
I do agree that the handle design is stupid because you do need 2 hands.

That would explain a whole lot.
Time to get a few replacement supplies just in case.
What are some alternatives? The VP215 that others have recommended cost $1000 USD, which is in the absurd range.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
SamuelNapper wrote: What are some alternatives? The VP215 that others have recommended cost $1000 USD, which is in the absurd range.
I've had a look at Webstaurant store in the last few months and there is no "good" replacement.
I have seen Chinese vacuum sealers for quite a bit less, but I'm hesitant to recommend them because I have no idea how good the pump is on them.

It's a tough sell nowadays since the price effectively jumped from $1000CAD out the door to nearly $2000 out the door.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43390 posts
6634 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I discovered a technique to make the typical home use vacuum seal much tighter.

Make sure you cut the bag long enough. Don’t cheap out.

While its vacuuming... massage the bag. It helps press put air and makes for a tighter seal.

Chamber sealer is nice, but way too expensive...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Make sure you cut the bag long enough. Don’t cheap out.
With the cost per inch of textured bags, this isn't a cheap thing.
This is actually why I ditched my sucker type sealer. With sufficient head room, it was costing upwards $0.50 to seal something.
My most expensive bag is $0.12. My cheapest is $0.03.

Chamber sealer is nice, but way too expensive...
It's the printer ink argument.

Expensive up front but cheap ongoing
vs
Cheap up front vs expensive ongoing
Dec 25, 2006
470 posts
320 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cheapo sealer - $80.
8x12 bags .20 ea. 11x16 bags .31 ea.
So I can purchase about 4600 small bags or 3000 large bags for about $920.
Think I'll stick with my cheapo sucker sealer :)
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43390 posts
6634 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
warpdwhim wrote: Cheapo sealer - $80.
Where do you get your bags? I’m trying to source out the cheapest bags. But only the one with texture on both sides, they seal tighter.

So far i use the rolls from amazon & cut to size.
I just did a calculAtion ... amazon bags come up to $0.37/bag when calculAted according to your size.
Dec 25, 2006
470 posts
320 upvotes
Winnipeg
I get them from here.
They are only textured on one side but I've had zero issues with proper vacuum with my cheapo foodsaver V2244.
Buy the bags in bulk(600 per order).
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: Cheapo sealer - $80.
(When we still had the VP112) $1000ish included shipping to your door and like 3000 bags.

Knowing the cost per bag means you're more hesitant sealing cheap goods which add up to additional waste.
My 8x12 are half the price at about $0.10 each and 12x16 (closest I can find in Canada) is about $0.22.
My 6x10 are about $0.04.

Using historical values of $500USD ($661 CAD) minus $80 (or upwards of $200 for a "fancy" sucker) means $460-580 difference.
At $0.10/bag, you'll pay for the machine outright after about 5000 uses.
Unless quality has improved, your foodsaver probably won't last that long. I went through a half dozen machines in 10 years because they kept failing. I wasn't even using them that much due to cost of use.

Once you start sealing cheaper things you'd normally skip due to costs, those can add up to $500 pretty damn quick.
4x 8x12 your bags = $0.80.
4x 6x10 my bags = $0.16.
For $0.16 I can split a tub of $3 tub sour cream into portions. To spend $0.80 for the same project in a sucker sealer makes less sense. I'm spending 5% of the product cost. You'd be spending 25% of the product cost.

EDIT: Even rolls won't save you. Making a smaller bag means you're wasting 4 inches for sealing space on each end.
At $0.16-$0.19 per inch (on your site) making a smaller bag than a 6x10 isn't even practical cost wise.
The cheapest bag I see there is the 6x10 which for 1200 is $180 or $0.15 each. I just paid $37.50 for 1000 of the same size.
May 28, 2012
10922 posts
3102 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote: (When we still had the VP112) $1000ish included shipping to your door and like 3000 bags.

Knowing the cost per bag means you're more hesitant sealing cheap goods which add up to additional waste.
My 8x12 are half the price at about $0.10 each and 12x16 (closest I can find in Canada) is about $0.22.
My 6x10 are about $0.04.

Using historical values of $500USD ($661 CAD) minus $80 (or upwards of $200 for a "fancy" sucker) means $460-580 difference.
At $0.10/bag, you'll pay for the machine outright after about 5000 uses.
Unless quality has improved, your foodsaver probably won't last that long. I went through a half dozen machines in 10 years because they kept failing. I wasn't even using them that much due to cost of use.

Once you start sealing cheaper things you'd normally skip due to costs, those can add up to $500 pretty damn quick.
4x 8x12 your bags = $0.80.
4x 6x10 my bags = $0.16.
For $0.16 I can split a tub of $3 tub sour cream into portions. To spend $0.80 for the same project in a sucker sealer makes less sense. I'm spending 5% of the product cost. You'd be spending 25% of the product cost.

EDIT: Even rolls won't save you. Making a smaller bag means you're wasting 4 inches for sealing space on each end.
At $0.16-$0.19 per inch (on your site) making a smaller bag than a 6x10 isn't even practical cost wise.
The cheapest bag I see there is the 6x10 which for 1200 is $180 or $0.15 each. I just paid $37.50 for 1000 of the same size.
Am I the only person who reuses these bags? I agree that you seal a lot more stuff when you don't have to worry about cost of bags. I reuse the smaller bags to seal serving sized portions of salami/cold cuts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Am I the only person who reuses these bags?
Like wash, dry, and use for a whole different thing?
Not me. I used to do it with Foodsaver due to cost of bags, but I even gave that up.

I do occasionally use a real long bag (which is why I'm buying the longest bags I can nowadays, even those that don't "fit" my chamber) so I can cut the seal, use the thing, and then reseal it.