Travel

What value of goods can one bring back from the US on a day trip?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 11:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario

What value of goods can one bring back from the US on a day trip?

I realize the official answer is "zero", but in practice I assume there is some amount below which it doesn't make any sense for customs to go through the paper work exercise to collect a couple of dollars of HST.

I wonder what people's experience is in that regard.

So far, on a day trip, often only a few hours, I kept the purchases below $US15.- and have been waived through each time.
Items were mostly children's books and I think on those there is only GST in Canada anyway.

I would also like to hear from someone who went on a US day trip and brought back a higher valued item - how much of a hassle and paperwork and extra time at the border is it to bring that back and pay whatever is required?
23 replies
Nov 21, 2001
856 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
I've seen busses go for the day for shopping alone, wonder if everyone needs to go and pay duty? Must take forever at the border?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
A couple of weeks ago we declared US$290 for the two of us and were asked to pay HST of about C$38 on the taxable items. The officer just gives you a slip and tells you to report to a counter in the office which is also staffed by border officers. They calculate the payable items and then you go pay at the cashier's wicket. To save themselves work they group the items rather than record and itemize all the individual categories of goods and you may get away without tax on a few things. The receipts we present are always equal to what we declared and we have never had our vehicle inspected to verify our declaration. I find the atmosphere here is more relaxed than at the booth.

I think this was the first time we had to pay any tax since late 2016. We shop cross-border about 10 times per year but with our low dollar we spend less than we used to, and most of our trips are under $200 now which includes some groceries. Dairy products and chicken are still good buys. It is getting harder to find good deals, but there are still things worth buying.

We always declare accurately since we are more concerned with keeping our Nexus than avoiding a few dollars. That tax of $38 was a small amount to pay for say, $3 thousand worth of shopping over two years!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Dealmaker1945 wrote: We always declare accurately since we are more concerned with keeping our Nexus than avoiding a few dollars.
We do too although we don't have Nexus status/card.
Roughly how long did the procedure take - to go in, get the items grouped, pay and get out?
Are we talking 5 minutes or half an hour or even longer?

The few times I had to deal with US customs inside the US customs office to get some paper work, it always seemed to take forever.
Seems they are way overstaffed so they move rather slowly to at least look busy and also pass the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
krs wrote: We do too although we don't have Nexus status/card.
Roughly how long did the procedure take - to go in, get the items grouped, pay and get out?
Are we talking 5 minutes or half an hour or even longer?

The few times I had to deal with US customs inside the US customs office to get some paper work, it always seemed to take forever.
Seems they are way overstaffed so they move rather slowly to at least look busy and also pass the time.
No more than 20 mins last time - there were fewer travelers than officers but we joked a bit with them. However, if there are a couple of 56 passenger motor coaches back from a shopping tour just ahead of you, who knows?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: I realize the official answer is "zero", but in practice I assume there is some amount below which it doesn't make any sense for customs to go through the paper work exercise to collect a couple of dollars of HST.

I wonder what people's experience is in that regard.

So far, on a day trip, often only a few hours, I kept the purchases below $US15.- and have been waived through each time.
Items were mostly children's books and I think on those there is only GST in Canada anyway.

I would also like to hear from someone who went on a US day trip and brought back a higher valued item - how much of a hassle and paperwork and extra time at the border is it to bring that back and pay whatever is required?
it really depends on the line i think. I have been through without taxed for $300-400. Or have been stopped and searched for less than $10. There's not really a hassle. Usually if you are stopped, you go inside to the counter they will ask you want you bought, show them the receipts (sometimes) and they write you a bill. Only takes 5 mins if everything is ok and you pay your taxes at the cashier.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
krs wrote: I realize the official answer is "zero", but in practice I assume there is some amount below which it doesn't make any sense for customs to go through the paper work exercise to collect a couple of dollars of HST.
Can't say about other places but in Vancouver, it was about $400.

Bought a refurbished iPad for $390 about 5 years ago that was sent to a Border pickup service and was waived through. Subsequently bought a kayak for about $600 and was required to pay GST. Took about 15 mins since only 1 person staffed to do the paper work.

However, if you have any tobacco or liquor uncertain what the limit is.
Last edited by WetCoastGuy on Nov 5th, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 9, 2015
491 posts
317 upvotes
Calgary
I went to Sweet Grass to pick up a package from Montana Shipping Outlet last week. Declared $470 USD and CBSA officer waived me through.
But at what cost
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Everytime we went, we were below $200 USD. and we were never told to pay the taxes. We have the receipts ready to show upon request, but most of the time the officer would ask what we bought we would tell him exactly what we bought, like clothes, food, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Provides a bit of an idea about the "unwritten limit"

I assume all the comments relate to a day trip - if anyone does not, please post that.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It’s a crap shoot
Cause as you know / said in your OP the OFFICIAL Personal Exemptions are

< 24 Hours = $ 0 CDN
24 to 48 Hours = $ 200 CDN
And 48+ Hours = $ 800 CDN

If one knows that... and is aware that those limits could be enforced, but still chooses to shoot the dice
So be it

As you’ve noticed, and others comments here
It really is up to the CBSA Officer who takes your Declaration on how they choose to then proceed
In accordance with what directives they have been given from their Superiors / HQ

There can also be other extenuating circumstances that come into play
That will decide if one is FLAGGED for Secondary
Stuff you as a Traveller may not have anyway of knowing when you roll up to the CBSA Officer

As always...
Honesty is the best policy
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Generally speaking, anything under$140 with no alcohol and I've almost never had an issue.

I'm the last few years I've easily been to the US over a hundred times and almost always just get waved through.

I did get pulled over once for $80 most of which were groceries, but whatever.

I've also been allowed back into Canada with $600 in tires declared and not pulled over.

For me, I feel comfortable when my total trip is less than 140.

I'm usually there about an hour in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
totally different but it reminds of time I came back with one extra wine bottle worth $10 that i declared, and agent sent me to the cash register to pay taxes. should have seen the eye rolling from collection agent who just stamped form and waved me through without collecting the dollar or so duty.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11212 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
I cross at Roosville in Montana on a fairly regular basis. I always am honest, tell them I've only been there less than an hour and always have my receipts tallied to the penny and declare as such. Typically, under $200 gets a wave through. I'll usually give my total in US$, rather than CDN, but don't say US$. Last time, last month, I had to declare $600 and pay GST & PST.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smacd wrote: I cross at Roosville in Montana on a fairly regular basis. I always am honest, tell them I've only been there less than an hour and always have my receipts tallied to the penny and declare as such. Typically, under $200 gets a wave through. I'll usually give my total in US$, rather than CDN, but don't say US$. Last time, last month, I had to declare $600 and pay GST & PST.
You’ve done well so far

But the rule is to declare in Cdn $ based on the current rate of exchange and inclusive of any US Taxes Paid
(Or as a minimum state $ x US)

Why tempt fate, when things have been going so swimmingly for you ?

Being RED FLAGGED will ruin your border crossings for years to come... trust me you don’t want that

Do the right thing... declare truthfully, be it in US or Cdn Currency
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
PointsHubby wrote: You’ve done well so far

But the rule is to declare in Cdn $ based on the current rate of exchange and inclusive of any US Taxes Paid
(Or as a minimum state $ x US)

Why tempt fate, when things have been going so swimmingly for you ?

Being RED FLAGGED will ruin your border crossings for years to come... trust me you don’t want that

Do the right thing... declare truthfully, be it in US or Cdn Currency
I've been told by guards at the Nexus bridge to declare in U.S. I've never once been asked to declare the Canadian value. I just have my receipts in hand to give to them at the window if they want them.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Evil Baby wrote: I've been told by guards at the Nexus bridge to declare in U.S. I've never once been asked to declare the Canadian value. I just have my receipts in hand to give to them at the window if they want them.
Take a look at I DECLARE... which is CBSA’s Guide for Cdn Travellers, Personal Exemptions are all quoted in Cdn $
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... e-eng.html

CBSA Officers “on the line” are always up to date with the current exchange rate

So although the Limits are in Cdn Dollars, they can easily adjust if one makes a Declaration in US Currency

As someone who used to work for Customs, I was just telling the other RFDer what his legal obligation is
By not declaring which currency / any currency... he’s leaving the door open to having problems
(Thinking somehow he’s outsmarted the system / CBSA by “playing dumb” to the actual law / his obligation ... he hasn’t... it will eventually end up biting him in the @ss)

Too many people don’t understand how Customs work. That the ONUS is on the one presenting to get it right / fully declare ... and not that the Customs Official must ask a particular question. It’s a case of one MUST KNOW THE LAW .., just like in any other legal situation ... ignorance of the law is not an excuse
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
PointsHubby wrote: Take a look at I DECLARE... which is CBSA’s Guide for Cdn Travellers, Personal Exemptions are all quoted in Cdn $

CBSA Officers “on the line” are always up to date with the current exchange rate

So although the Limits are in Cdn Dollars, they can easily adjust if one makes a Declaration in US Currency

As someone who used to work for Customs, I was just telling the other RFDer what his legal obligation is
By not declaring which currency / any currency... he’s leaving the door open to having problems
(Thinking somehow he’s outsmarted the system / CBSA by “playing dumb” to the actual law / his obligation ... he hasn’t... it will eventually end up biting him in the @ss)

Too many people don’t understand how Customs work. That the ONUS is on the one presenting to get it right / fully declare ... and not that the Customs Official must ask a particular question. It’s a case of one MUST KNOW THE LAW .., just like in any other legal situation ... ignorance of the law is not an excuse
But I think it would be very rare indeed for an officer to treat you as an evader or cheater if you declare an amount in US$. I think the officer normally assumes you are declaring in US as most people do, and I have never been asked to clarify. Although sometimes they ask to see the receipts which we always have at the ready for them.

Same with declarations - as I understand it, technically the traveller should initiate the declaration? But I never do because the officers want to control the interaction and ask the questions.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Nov 6th, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
I am thinking that you should be well under $200 Canadian per person for a day trip to avoid taxes, i.e. the officers staying are well under the 24 hr allowance.

So I think you have a high probability of not paying tax at say, US$250 or less for two travellers, but that you are almost certain to pay at US$300.

I hope others will test/update this with their NEW experiences.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
PointsHubby wrote: Take a look at I DECLARE... which is CBSA’s Guide for Cdn Travellers, Personal Exemptions are all quoted in Cdn $

No one is talking about outsmarting anyone, nor does that page state a traveler must declare in cdn.

Simply declare what you have and have receipts for it. If you're pulled over to pay taxes/duties, it'll get adjusted.

Edit. Assuming we are talking about day trips, anything purchased is already over the limit anyways, so I'm not sure what value someone would be trying to outsmart.

Edit 2: Just re-read my post and it seems a little confrontational, I don't mean to be. I guess what I should be asking, is it actually illegal to declare in US funds, or is it just not liked by some border guards? Cause I didn't see anywhere where it says you must declare in cdn, although Icould have easily missed it.
Last edited by Evil Baby on Nov 6th, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)