Travel

What vblog-cam do you recommend for recording travel videos?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 4:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3871 posts
3431 upvotes
Markham

What vblog-cam do you recommend for recording travel videos?

I used to capture fixed images using a MFT mirrorless camera. While this MFT camera is much smaller than a full sized SLR camera, it is still quite heavy to hold for a length of time when I try to capture videos. I am therefore looking to buy a light-weight vblog-cam for future recording of travel videos.

I have read that the DJI Pocket 2 seems to be the benchmark which other vblog cams are compared against. Is DJI Pocket 2 the right gear for recording travel videos? Any comparable vblog-cam with a lower price tag? What vblog-cam are you using for travel videos?

One last thing, I am not too keen on buying a gimbol to which my smart phone can be attached for video recording. Such a combo of my smart phone with a gimbol is still quite heavy for prolonged video capturing during a travel trip aboard.

Please share your experience. Thanks!
3 replies
Jan 26, 2020
640 posts
155 upvotes
Canada
Aren't there body mounted gimbals? Where most of the weight is supported by your body and not your hands/arms? Cell phones offer great picture quality and are so light. You could also partner it with a backpack with a solar panel so it doesn't drain its battery so fast. Cell phones fail when trying to get photos of faces as most use a very wide angle lens but for taking shots of places you usually want wide angle. Nothing comes close to a gimbal if you're walking/moving. Just try to find one designed just for a cell phone so its lighter. It might collapse as well for storage.

I just did an image search. There are lots. This page of images should give you hope. The end of tired arms!
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=body+m ... &ia=images

Think of covering it so people won't know you're recording. As soon as people see the camera they stiffen up and all spontaneity is gone, ruining the shoot.

There are also 360 degree cameras which are great for walking through crowded areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1095 posts
455 upvotes
drdtyc wrote: I used to capture fixed images using a MFT mirrorless camera. While this MFT camera is much smaller than a full sized SLR camera, it is still quite heavy to hold for a length of time when I try to capture videos. I am therefore looking to buy a light-weight vblog-cam for future recording of travel videos.

I have read that the DJI Pocket 2 seems to be the benchmark which other vblog cams are compared against. Is DJI Pocket 2 the right gear for recording travel videos? Any comparable vblog-cam with a lower price tag? What vblog-cam are you using for travel videos?

One last thing, I am not too keen on buying a gimbol to which my smart phone can be attached for video recording. Such a combo of my smart phone with a gimbol is still quite heavy for prolonged video capturing during a travel trip aboard.

Please share your experience. Thanks!
Maybe try the Art and Photography Forum for more expert advice.