What voids Tarion warranty?
Background: Wife and I have recently purchased a pre-con home in Stouffville that comes with Tarion Warranty (Standard: 1/2/7 year). We are looking to do a number of upgrades with our builder..however, we are definitely considering to do a lot of the upgrades after occupancy as their prices are astronomical to say the least. You may be asking why or how I know this; I strictly speak from experience having just renovated the entirety of our current home in early 2020; new kitchen, washroom, removal of structural walls, floor+subfloor- you name it we did it. So we're pretty well versed in what it should/could cost. Not to mention, we've sent our floor plan to get quotes ahead of our appointments with the builder and they are coming in considerably cheaper lol
The only thing that worries me and has been brought up repeatedly in other threads is that we may "void our Tarion Warranty". I've tried researching online what would be considered as void but am only coming up with anecdotal examples that aren't really applicable to us.
What we're looking to do following occupancy:
- Open a pass-through/picture area between our Great room/Dining Room (Builder refuses to do so... even though I have images of that wall clearly showing how easily this can be achieved (no re-routing of HVAC or electrical required)
- Replace entire kitchen cabinetry + Countertops
- Put in fireplace on our desired wall
- Pot lights throughout the home (interior and exterior)
- Desired hardwood throughout home
- Seperate basement entry from side of home (Permit pending of course)
- replacing fixtures & hardware (kitchen + bath)
Would really appreciate some clarity so any feedback is welcome!
Thank you kindly in advance.