Fashion & Beauty

What/where to buy winter clothing for northern Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2023 9:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2023
2 posts

What/where to buy winter clothing for northern Ontario?

I may be going up north several hours north of Sault St. Marie for work. I have never been further north than Owen Sound and never during the winter so I seriously have no experience with the weather and potential extreme cold.

The job will involve being outside for hours at a time. Although I may have the costs for some clothing reimbursed I would like to keep it as no frills as possible (so no Canada Goose etc. gear).

What are the MUST-HAVE clothing items and equipment for conditions at this time; and where do you like to shop for them?
3 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11371 posts
2320 upvotes
Merino Wool Base layers. 2 sets is probably good enough. - I got mine at Mountain Warehouse but you can try some better brands.

Winter boots that keep your feet warm. And are comfy and not too heavy. - Right now I don't own a pair for this type of weather I just have waterproof hiking shoes.

You probably need a waterproof parka with a good layer underneath to stay warm. Make sure it has a good hood but also buy one of those arctic hats that also has coverage over your ears. - Mine was gift from an Antarctica Expedition called Quark and they produce their own parkas. Arctic hat I think was from Columbia

A thin fleece zip up sweater layer. - Got mine at Columbia

A balaclava for your neck/face. - Ordered mine from Sports Check or Amazon I think. Make sure it is merino wool.

Good gloves - Columbia

Waterproof warm pants. - Ski pants can work if they are thin.

Consider something for your eyes as well but I don't know the product or item tbh.

Merino wool socks. I have 4 pairs and only wear them exclusively. - I own Ice Breaker but Darn Tough Socks I heard is also good.

Overall layers is your friend so you can adjust and having waterproof and windproof outer shell is important.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2505 posts
755 upvotes
GTA

Goes through what to wear for different temperatures (may be an overkill).

I usually look at Sportchek and Altitude Sports for reviews on winter clothes, then go and look at this website for sale items.

https://www.thelasthunt.com/
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1524 posts
1067 upvotes
Ripley
If you need outside work clothes, do you need high visibility work clothes? Try Marks Work Wearhouse (they have their own Dakota brand) or Peavy Mart (they have their own brand OxGear). You don't need Carhartt. Insulated work and safety gear in on sale at Peavy Mart this coming week Jan 20-26.

What kind of work will you be doing? There is a big difference in need if you are doing low activity vs hard physical labour. Outside vs. inside. That is why the layers are needed. Check the boot requirements. My work requires insulated rubber boots with composite toes. Do you need steel-toed (colder) or something else? Cofra insulated safety boots look like big rubber boots and are very warm. Also on sale at Peavy mart. Jan 20-Jan 26. Not great if you have to do a lot of bending down though. Get a heavy toque that covers your ears. This will depend if you need a hard hat or not. Do not skimp on gloves, socks or boots. You can make up the other clothes with layers but you will need a coat that keeps you dry.