• Apr 19th, 2020 12:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes

What will be the car of the future?

Electric still costs a premium, hybrid, perhaps.

What about those $600 Chinese EV's that have limited range and speed?

Will there be some shift to bare-bones cars that are easy to repair, low-tech?

Will manufacturers be forced to adjust somehow, or will we continue to get emphasis on fuel efficiency/safety?

Maybe we will get the same cars but a certain segment will sell more (ie economy sedan)?
32 replies
Jul 12, 2013
244 posts
159 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
firestarter99 wrote: Electric still costs a premium, hybrid, perhaps.

Will manufacturers be forced to adjust somehow, or will we continue to get emphasis on fuel efficiency/safety?

Maybe we will get the same cars but a certain segment will sell more (ie economy sedan)?
Looks like EV is evitable. Personally it makes me feel bad every time I read news about AMG is reducing cylinders or add electric motors... I kept thinking about in mad max after the apocalypse those worship v8....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6314 posts
4929 upvotes
I can barely buy a Chinese e scooter for $600. Where is this magical $600 Chinese EV?

EV is the future. No doubt about it. But mainstream won't switch until the industry get together to standardize stuff. Make it 1 plug, 1 charging standard much like USB. That would be nice.

I see personal cars will go EV and commerical ones will stay on PHEV/Gasoline or Diesel Hybrid/Hydrogen unless a miracle battery that is 2-3x energy density of today's battery comes on the scene.

Now as for real future of cars, in the context of this COVID experience, could be interesting.

On one hand I see any type of public transit a lot less appetizing, including car shares or ride shares.

But I also think that most companies are looking at this forced WFH experiment and think that they are wasting money owning or leasing office spaces. So may be less people will need to commute and reduce amount of cars they need.

It'll be fun to see how all this unfolds. All the technologies and thinking we had pre-COVID isn't quite a sure thing any more.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54618 posts
19415 upvotes
A car that can be used as a sleeping pod too and parked on driveways or garages. Definitely electric so it can keep occupants warm or cool enough at lower cost.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45127 posts
8168 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
alanbrenton wrote: A car that can be used as a sleeping pod too and parked on driveways or garages. Definitely electric so it can keep occupants warm or cool enough at lower cost.
Incredible. Would be better with a refrigerator and a infrared oven so i can have some pizza pops.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54618 posts
19415 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Incredible. Would be better with a refrigerator and a infrared oven so i can have some pizza pops.
Your future car will already have an a/c and a motor/battery to do that.

For evacuation, poop and scoop or bag it directly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6314 posts
4929 upvotes
Also, I expect EV adoption will slow by 5-10 years than earlier estimations. The market always balance itself. Saudi after divesting Aramco is now adopting new strategy of liquidation. If the world is going to use less oil, they are going to make sure every single drop of oil will be Saudi oil.

Canadian and US energy producers will go into bankruptcy on consolidate. We will see inflation we have never seen before in Canada (Apple is now pegging CAD at 1.5 and Oneplus at 1.55) because our currency is tied to natural resources.

And worse of all, Tesla is setting CAD conversion at 1.61. A $47K USD Model Y now costs $76K CAD. $5K more than original $71K (if I recall correctly).

So as our currency loses value, combine with cheap gasoline, EVs will be even more out of reach for mainstream.

So may be car of future, as least for us Canadians, is actually cars of today and yesterday for the short term. :D I hope I am wrong.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12213 posts
6752 upvotes
Brampton
alanbrenton wrote: Your future car will already have an a/c and a motor/battery to do that.

For evacuation, poop and scoop or bag it directly.
So primitive.

It'd be a tube in your mouth and a tube in your ....
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4210 posts
1681 upvotes
cokeboy wrote: Looks like EV is evitable. Personally it makes me feel bad every time I read news about AMG is reducing cylinders or add electric motors... I kept thinking about in mad max after the apocalypse those worship v8....
Exactly.

I'm not a fan of the Ford Mustang, but they still offer a V8 with a manual transmission, for an almost affordable price. I feel like buying one before they are extinct.

Because sooner or later, they are going to be gone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5779 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: a covid resistant vehicle Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
tsla air filter can withstand warefare level bio weapons ....

TSLA from practical reasons. Yes price is an issue - they are working on it. Oil dropping record low isn't helping either.
I post DAILY HOUSING SUPPLY:
  • Whatsapp / FB / WWW / ...
IMO Supply is the only metric that matters in GTA housing market!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6869 posts
5782 upvotes
Burlington
PrinceMS wrote: tsla air filter can withstand warfare level bio weapons ....
but can a Tesla? Unless the car is vacuum tight, which i highly doubt any is
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2767 posts
1294 upvotes
Calgary
Xtrema wrote:
EV is the future. No doubt about it.
I see people say this a lot. But is that 10 years, 50 years or 100 years?

I think hybrid and plug in hybrid are way better solutions in actually getting large segments of population to use less fuel quickly compared to EV. As you pointed out later EV is way too expensive whereas hybrids are virtually the same price now as their gas counterparts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6314 posts
4929 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote: tsla air filter can withstand warefare level bio weapons ....

TSLA from practical reasons. Yes price is an issue - they are working on it. Oil dropping record low isn't helping either.
At current gasoline price, and current prediction is that it will at least a year or 2 before we go back to $1 if Saudi doesn't end dumping, ROI of EVs just become 2x as long. It wasn't even great to start with at 3-10 years where average Canadian mileage is in the middle. Now it's 6-20 years.

Here's a scary thought. The world pre covid needs around 100M barrel per day. Right now it's about 80M. Say Saudi want to dump and capture back 50% market. That's 40M/day.

At close to 300B in reserve. It'll take Saudi 21 years to dump it which is right around the deadline where most countries have EV mandates to stop selling gas cars. Now everyone is saying Saudi can't operate the country at low prices but I guess we will see. If Saudi can stick to their guns, we are in for 2 decades of cheap gas, especially government of the world keep pushing EVs.

I think Saudi figure out that if they can double market share at half price, the end result is the same. Why holding onto a commodity with no future?

Now speaking of the governments, most of them now broke. Even China see that green policy while suppose to help them dominate the world, is actually easing back due to economic impacts. The rest of the world's government will probably put green incentives on the bench until economy recovers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7974 posts
3262 upvotes
Financial District B…
firestarter99 wrote: What will be the car of the future?

Electric still costs a premium, hybrid, perhaps.

The car of the future will have the passenger seat be 6 feat away from the driver.
The back seat passenger seats will also be 6 feet behind the driver.
All future cars will be at least 15+ feet in total length
Covid cars will be the future
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again