Cell Phones

What would happen if VOIP company just went out of business?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 10:54 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1311 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What would happen if VOIP company just went out of business?

This got me thinking today, that my provider voip.ms who currently holds 4 of my parked numbers (my old cell, home, and relative's numbers) if the owner just stoped their business and shutdown everything, what would happen to my numbers? Did anything like this ever happen?
3 replies
Apr 7, 2007
873 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t have an answer but, if there was anyone I wouldn’t expect to go out of service anytime soon, it’s VoIP.ms
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One additional wrinkle here - voip.ms is not a carrier. If you look at the new numbers they assign, most of them are in ISP Telecom's blocks, though they also use another CLEC or two (e.g. Distributel) in some cases.

So... that makes me wonder who technically holds the ported numbers, and if it's ISP Telecom or the like, that adds another layer of complication here - if voip.ms goes under, does ISP Telecom keep the numbers and you can reallocate it to another of their resellers? Conversely, what happens if ISP Telecom goes under and voip.ms stays afloat?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38394 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
All companies have assets.

You would think that a VoIP company's assets are its customers, but the real assets are the agreements between carriers and the DID numbers.

If one was going out of business, the assets would get purchased really quickly by a competitor. Phone numbers don't disappear

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)