Computers & Electronics

What would be the most effective way of buying Microsoft Office?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 1:33 am
[OP]
Member
Apr 10, 2013
297 posts
41 upvotes

What would be the most effective way of buying Microsoft Office?

What would be the most effective way of buying Microsoft Office? I think it would be the 2019 version so I can download and pay once and not have to rely on some bs subscription

Discount/cheaper options anywhere?

I've been using other alternatives, but hitting brick walls on various things because of collaboration need, I actually need MS Word & Excel.
Last edited by RFDMadeMeBuyStuff on Aug 4th, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
51 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1243 upvotes
Yeah you're on the right track. Office 2019 or the older 2016.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16261 posts
4798 upvotes
Markham
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: What would be the most effective way of buying Microsoft Office? I think it would be the 2019 version so I can download and pay once and not have to rely on some bs subscription

Discount/cheaper options anywhere?

I've been using other alternatives, but hitting brick walls on various things because of collaboration need, I actually need MS Word & Excel.
You can use free one online

96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6142 posts
2669 upvotes
Debtario
If you use office at work, you could try signing in with your work email. This is usually office 365.

Alternatively, you could download the office 2019 or office 365proplus iso directly from MS (or just install the trial), then use KMS_VL_ALL (google is your friend) to turn it into a KMS/self-activating copy. I can confirm it works well, no exe to run just all automatic scripts.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
Even if you obtain the media or iso, you still need a paid license key, you have to pay for the license key as we do not condone piracy on this form or any other place on the internet. stealing is stealing, the keys are dirt cheap for 2019 office, go and buy it
Hi
Newbie
May 5, 2021
67 posts
25 upvotes
1) purchase Office 2019 perpetual license if you only need word and excel.

2) do you work for a medium/large company? Microsoft usually sells the Office 2019 version to employees for $20.

3) are you a student? You get office 365 with your education credentials and can get discounted office suite.

4) I had all the above options at perusal and ended up paying for office 365 home since the entire family can use it and it offers 1TB OneDrive per user per year.


Note:
Alternatives are okay, but nothing can be compared to Excel’s speed and functionality.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2006
617 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
savingsomemoney wrote: 1) purchase Office 2019 perpetual license if you only need word and excel.

2) do you work for a medium/large company? Microsoft usually sells the Office 2019 version to employees for $20.

3) are you a student? You get office 365 with your education credentials and can get discounted office suite.

4) I had all the above options at perusal and ended up paying for office 365 home since the entire family can use it and it offers 1TB OneDrive per user per year.


Note:
Alternatives are okay, but nothing can be compared to Excel’s speed and functionality.
Microsoft HUP no longer offers purchasing of cheap perpetual licenses. It now offers 30% off office 365.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13414 posts
2619 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
GoodFellaz wrote: Even if you obtain the media or iso, you still need a paid license key, you have to pay for the license key as we do not condone piracy on this form or any other place on the internet. stealing is stealing, the keys are dirt cheap for 2019 office, go and buy it
A working key and an applicable software licence are two different things. If I buy a key to your car, it doesn't mean I own your car.

Best to read the EULA attached to the key before buying :) . Or save time and just use the cracktivation method previously suggested if you don't want to pay for a proper licence.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3252 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
rabbit wrote: A working key and an applicable software licence are two different things. If I buy a key to your car, it doesn't mean I own your car.

Best to read the EULA attached to the key before buying :) . Or save time and just use the cracktivation method previously suggested if you don't want to pay for a proper licence.
I disagree. A working key is better than the cracktivation method.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
rabbit wrote: A working key and an applicable software licence are two different things. If I buy a key to your car, it doesn't mean I own your car.

Best to read the EULA attached to the key before buying :) . Or save time and just use the cracktivation method previously suggested if you don't want to pay for a proper licence.
I aske dmicrosoft and they said as long as the vendor is anthorized to sell software the key will be legit. the vendors sell the key and you download the software from microsofts site, microsoft gives software install free but you need a key to use it, hope people understand how it works
Hi
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13414 posts
2619 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
It's fine to disagree. I just don't like people trying to pass off those keys as being legit, like using an education licence for business purposes. Full disclosure, then it's up to the person to decide what to do :) .
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
22295 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
ebay has listings for Microsoft Office 2019 Pro Plus keys and Window 10 keys...........about $10 CDN


eBay does remove them quickly as it isn't "kosher" but you are able to find them.......


like @rabbit said, not exactly "kosher" but if you are cool with it.............you download the software, use the key provided. It may need telephone activation......

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2489 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
The last 5 to 8 Office 2019 keys I bought didn't work. There was no way to get your money back or contact the seller. Let us know how that goes if you go that route.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
22295 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote: The last 5 to 8 Office 2019 keys I bought didn't work. There was no way to get your money back or contact the seller. Let us know how that goes if you go that route.
I recently bought a Win10 Pro & MS Office 2019 Pro Plus key from an ebay seller. Win10 activated without a hitch......the MS Office Pro Plus I went through 2 keys as well which didn't activate. The 3rd one was the charm. The seller did respond to me when I notified them that the key provided didn't work - they were pretty quick in responding.

I ended up with a MS Project 2019 key as well from trying.....lol....not that I use Project

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2489 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I recently bought a Win10 Pro & MS Office 2019 Pro Plus key from an ebay seller. Win10 activated without a hitch......the MS Office Pro Plus I went through 2 keys as well which didn't activate. The 3rd one was the charm. The seller did respond to me when I notified them that the key provided didn't work - they were pretty quick in responding.

I ended up with a MS Project 2019 key as well from trying.....lol....not that I use Project
The sellers were banned and the sales pages were taken down from eBay after I tried the keys. That's why I couldn't contact the seller. I gave up since I had no way to contact the sellers. I think I tried too many times.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1274 upvotes
Office Home & Student 2019 was $130 during Black Friday 2020. It'll probably be the same this year.

Office 2022 will be out in the September-October 2021 timeframe. Hopefully a Black Friday sale as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13601 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I disagree. A working key is better than the cracktivation method.
I disagree with your disagree.
Not that either method is legitimate, but paying for piracy just seems wrong.
At least with cracktivation a 3rd party isn't profiting from it.
GoodFellaz wrote:
I aske dmicrosoft and they said as long as the vendor is anthorized to sell software the key will be legit.
Which is all well and good, but eBay is DEFINITELY not an authorized vendor.
Any key under like $100 is going to be an MSDN key that you are definitely not authorized to use.
Someone acquires an MSDN sub, scrapes all the (good) keys and sells them for anything they can get. $1-10 per key x 10 activations (read: sales) per MSDN account x a dozen or so versions of Windows/Office = A few hundred to a few thousand per MSDN sub.

See the car key analogy above. Just because I have a key to your car doesn't mean you gave me authorization to drive it. Sure I can get in it, turn it on, and drive off but you can report it stolen at any time which means a bad time for me. A key revocation at minimum to a full blown audit of all my business software and being forced to pay for everything that's not in compliance.
ji2o0k wrote: eBay does remove them quickly
I mean... that kind of tells you something....
ji2o0k wrote: I recently bought a Win10 Pro & MS Office 2019 Pro Plus key from an ebay seller. Win10 activated without a hitch......the MS Office Pro Plus I went through 2 keys as well which didn't activate. The 3rd one was the charm. The seller did respond to me when I notified them that the key provided didn't work - they were pretty quick in responding.

I ended up with a MS Project 2019 key as well from trying.....lol....not that I use Project
This reinforces my story above. Buyer gets a bum key because it's been sold too many times. Seller tosses them a (useless) bone from their list of everything that Microsoft has ever published ever.
No one is going to buy MS Project 2019 standalone so they have a bunch of those keys untouched which are pretty much guaranteed to activate until the whole subscription gets killed.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13414 posts
2619 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
GoodFellaz wrote: I aske dmicrosoft and they said as long as the vendor is anthorized to sell software the key will be legit. the vendors sell the key and you download the software from microsofts site, microsoft gives software install free but you need a key to use it, hope people understand how it works
You keep focussing on "key", when it's the "software licence" that matters.

You can buy an educational licence, with a legit key, of Microsoft Office. This does not mean that you have the legal right to use it for your business.

Let's say you get a driver's licence. Most people's licences are valid for Class 5 vehicles. It doesn't mean you're legally allowed to drive a bus full of passengers, which would require a Class 2 licence.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
rabbit wrote: You keep focussing on "key", when it's the "software licence" that matters.

You can buy an educational licence, with a legit key, of Microsoft Office. This does not mean that you have the legal right to use it for your business.

Let's say you get a driver's licence. Most people's licences are valid for Class 5 vehicles. It doesn't mean you're legally allowed to drive a bus full of passengers, which would require a Class 2 licence.
A) having a Valid key is one thing, but B) using the right key is another thing
We are only discussing A right now.
Hi

Top