What would be my better options to get a cellphone plan on bad credit

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 9:25 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
21 posts
18 upvotes

What would be my better options to get a cellphone plan on bad credit

So last May I finished paying my consumer proposal and I'm currently shopping for a smartphone and a plan.
As far as I know having a bad credit means I'll be denied unless I'm trying to get a pre paid plan which I have no intention of getting.

I know there is the deposit thing, but I have no idea how much, fido or koodo would charge

I also been a videotron client for over a decade for the tv, internet and home phone so I wonder if they would do a credit check if I were to add a smarphone plan. Sadly videotron doesn't have the best smartphone prices / plans compare to the others.

What would be my better options?
10 replies
Jan 24, 2013
319 posts
279 upvotes
Rainy River
Short answer is I don't know. Don't know why you are against prepaid. It is a good way to go. I use Lucky Mobile for $25 per month get free unlimited calling Canada wide and 1GB of data/month by signing up to automatic monthly credit card billing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5656 posts
3620 upvotes
You might not be approved to get a phone with a contract, but you should be approved for a postpaid plan unless you owe money to that cellphone company. From what I have seen, Fido/Rogers is most likely to approve you for a phone contract, Bell/Virgin might put you on a credit limit, Koodo/TELUS might deny you and Koodo does not take security deposits.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21307 posts
9729 upvotes
Toronto
OP, how about getting a plan with the prepaid brands. Apart from pre-paying each month, a brand like Public Mobile runs like a regular post paid account without contract. There are no credit checks for prepaid.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10695 posts
5697 upvotes
Markham
Is prepaid plan reported to bureau to build credit history? I am not sure prepaid phone plan is more like prepaid credit card or secured credit card

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1391 posts
1662 upvotes
smartie wrote: Is prepaid plan reported to bureau to build credit history?
Nope, since prepayment means they're not extending any credit to you. Public Mobile doesn't appear on my credit report at all. Koodo is still on my credit report, though, even though I closed my account there several years ago.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21307 posts
9729 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Is prepaid plan reported to bureau to build credit history? I am not sure prepaid phone plan is more like prepaid credit card or secured credit card

Thanks
The focus of this thread is about getting a cell plan with bad credit, not building credit score through the cell plan.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1856 posts
1331 upvotes
Montreal, QC
smartie wrote: Is prepaid plan reported to bureau to build credit history? I am not sure prepaid phone plan is more like prepaid credit card or secured credit card

Thanks
No. A prepaid plan (at least when I used to have a prepaid plan with Rogers) doesn't affect or build on credit history. It doesn't even show up in a credit report. For my Rogers prepaid plan when I had it, they didn't even require my legal name or any provable information (like birthdate, etc.) when I activated the SIM card. I believe that for the name, I just gave them the name I wanted to show up on the call display and when they asked for my birthdate, I just made up a birthdate (the only thing is that I had to remember the birthdate as it was used to confirm my identity over the phone). They also asked me for an address if I remember correctly and I told them I was from the US so I could give them the US address (which they couldn't use) or give them the address for the place/hotel that I was staying at. The CSR informed me that it was fine and entered the address for Rogers' head office into my account
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6083 posts
2947 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think you'd have too much trouble unless the cellphone company you are trying to sign up with is one that you owed money to and did not pay in full. It's not like trying to get a credit card.

You've already finished paying off your consumer proposal. It'll take some time to recover, but it's not like you have debts actively going through the courts. I would just pick a provider (not one you owed money to), and go for it. If they deny it, so what. Consider your options at that time rather than overthinking it now.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12161 posts
15230 upvotes
Vancouver
@shadowflares I have excellent credit and am on a prepaid cell plan. Maybe you haven't looked at prepaid plans lately but they are much better than they used to be, and in some cases even better than postpaid. I'm on Freedom mobile, $19 for 1.5GB and unlimited call/text. Only available on prepaid.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3108 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Telus has (or at least used to have) their credit limit program which allowed people to still be approved with an overall account limit of like $200.

If you're looking for one of the big players that might be your best bet.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare