Off Topic Archive

Locked: What would you do to the driver that nearly ran over your kid in the parking lot? Almost happened to me *shudder*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 4:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1724 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What would you do to the driver that nearly ran over your kid in the parking lot? Almost happened to me *shudder*

We had lunch with the grandparents and went to the restaurant with two cars, so we can leave the place separately and go about the different activities for the rest of the day. After lunch, we were all walking back to our cars and the grandparent is parked a bit farther than us so they waved goodbye to us and kept walking. There were two cars following behind us and as courtesy, I asked the first one to pass because I walk slow with my son.

After the first car passed, my four year old got a little pushy and wanted to go with the grandparents and decided to run. I was holding onto him the whole time but his quick twitch caused me to lose grip and dashed right into the second car that is accelerating very quickly. I immediately jumped in front of the car and thank god he didn't freak out and braked hard. Not sure if it was pedestrian safety automatic braking feature or he braked but there was a tire screech, which indicates he is going much faster than recommended. The car stopped less than one palm's length from me, and maybe less than 10 cm from my son. My wife and the grandparents turned pale and I pushed my son back in between the rows of parked cars for him and the mom to calm down.

In an instant, I was filled with murderous rage and unloaded on the driver who is probably also pretty shaken up. The only item in my pockets are the house keys and grabbed it in my hand to use it as a weapon against the driver. I pounded on the glass with the key until he rolled it down and used every expletive in my vocabulary on him. I tried to open the door to drag him out but it was obviously locked and that's when my wife pulled me aside to calm me down and asked me to let him go. I asked him to * and get the * of my face before he sloooowly pulled away and drove off. I think if my wife wasn't there, or if anything happened to my son, I would've done much more damage to him and the car.

I probably wasn't the best example for my kids and later on I explained to him that I was so angry and wanted to make sure this driver doesn't hurt any other kids in the future because of his impatience. I guess once you are a parent, something change in you and your reactions becomes autonomous when faced with danger. I seriously treated the driver like an enemy combatant and completely lost myself. I only had similar feelings many many years ago when I went for military training, when we were instilled with the values of leaving no one behind and to always have your brother's back. I guess this is why some soldiers jump on grenades to save their fellow brothers.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I read every comment here and thank you all for the replies and pointing out to my shortcomings. Always have room to reflect and improve.
This is my first time experiencing this type of rage and will make every effort for it be the last. Not a good example.
Last edited by traderjay on Jan 22nd, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Share:
93 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2005
2824 posts
51 upvotes
Not saying the other guy wasn't speeding or anything but a car going at a slow speed can still make screeching noises if they all of a sudden brake hard. You might think the other guy was in the wrong but ultimately your son is the one that darted out in front of a moving car. Instead of solely blaming the other driver, you should also maybe teach your kid to not walk into the path of a moving car. Honestly, even if the car was going at "appropriate" speeds it would have been the same result.

Luckily no one was hurt and let this be a life lesson for your son.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
You way over-reacted. First of all, you did not control your child. That a 4yo kid can escape an adult man's grip, especially when you should really be holding him tightly where there are cars pulling in and out, suggests you were not really holding onto him very well. As for the screech, that speaks more to the fact the driver really slammed on the brakes fast rather than he was driving too fast. It was only his incredibly quick reaction that saved your child. As for accelerating very quickly do you really know that happened or is that the way you want to remember it because it justifies your reaction? Remember, you were very upset and you wanted to place blame everywhere but on yourself or your child.

What you should really have done is thanked the driver for braking so quickly and preventing a tragic accident rather than gotten into an uncalled for murderous rage because you could not control your son and he ran in front of a car that was already moving (and likely slower than you think it was). Shame on you. The driver was pretty shaken up and the only reason your son is not in the hospital is because of him. What you did was, quite frankly, despicable. You just made a lucky situation turn into something horrible for the poor driver. I wouldn't have rolled down my window for the maniac you seemed to have become either. He probably thought he'd end up in the hospital because of what you might do.

Learn from that and control your anger in the future. It's good that you did not harm the driver or damage his car because you would be finding yourself in one heap of a lot of trouble and criminally charged.

Lastly, you were not' faced with danger'. The danger had passed and that was all due to the actions of the driver. Drawing an analogy to 'why some soldiers jump on grenades to save their fellow brothers' is also a totally false equivalence as, again, in that situation there is danger whereas in your situation it had passed. Your problem was that you lost it, as you admit, and there was no justification for that.
Last edited by eonibm on Jan 22nd, 2018 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1724 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sure it is my fault for not holding onto him tight enough. But it's another story when the second car decide to accelerate very quickly because he is getting impatient as the first car is moving very slowly to give us more room and time. This is also why I asked him to pass. In a parking lot the onus is 100% on the driver. I never go more than 5km/h when I am near an entrance or see people walking in front of me with kids and got honked countless times. In really crowded cases, I even keep the car at a standstill to give parents more time.

Last but not least - I am the type of person who will stop my car on a busy bridge with the risk of getting rear ended to ask if a person is alright. It takes an extraordinary amount of effort to get me into a murderous rage.
Last edited by traderjay on Jan 22nd, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
traderjay wrote: Sure it is my fault for not holding onto him tight enough. But it's another story when the second car decide to accelerate very quickly because he is getting impatient as the first car is moving very slowly to give us more room and time. This is also why I asked him to pass. In a parking lot the onus is 100% on the driver. I never go more than 5km/h when I am near an entrance or see people walking in front of me with kids and go honked countless times.
The driver saved your son's life. Focus on that and not what is most likely your inaccurate recollection of what speed the driver was going at. As another person pointed out on here, even if he was going more slowly (if indeed he was actually going as fast as you think), it would not have made a difference. Also, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Have you never EVER in your life driven a bit faster than you should have? Only one person saved your son from what would have been a horrible accident and that was the driver. You chose to vilify and terrorize him instead when you should have done the opposite. Unbelievable!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
traderjay wrote: Last but not least - I am the type of person who will stop my car on a busy bridge with the risk of getting rear ended to ask if a person is alright. It takes an extraordinary amount of effort to get me into a murderous rage.
Your story suggests the opposite.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12988 posts
3308 upvotes
Montréal
Unfortunately, we can only see the (nonexistent) video to kNow the scene for sure but the fact you were contributory negligent definitely did not give you the right to Slam/curse at the driver. If I thought I was driving properly and you did that after I saved you from being a dad w/ a dead son, I dunno what I'd do. If I was having a bad day, there would be srs repercussions. You should watch it for sure.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1498 upvotes
traderjay wrote: We had lunch with the grandparents and went to the restaurant with two cars, so we can leave the place separately and go about the different activities for the rest of the day. After lunch, we were all walking back to our cars and the grandparent is parked a bit farther than us so they waved goodbye to us and kept walking. There were two cars following behind us and as courtesy, I asked the first one to pass because I walk slow with my son.

After the first car passed, my four year old got a little pushy and wanted to go with the grandparents and decided to run. I was holding onto him the whole time but his quick twitch caused me to lose grip and dashed right into the second car that is accelerating very quickly. I immediately jumped in front of the car and thank god he didn't freak out and braked hard. Not sure if it was pedestrian safety automatic braking feature or he braked but there was a tire screech, which indicates he is going much faster than recommended. The car stopped less than one palm's length from me, and maybe less than 10 cm from my son. My wife and the grandparents turned pale and I pushed my son back in between the rows of parked cars for him and the mom to calm down.

In an instant, I was filled with murderous rage and unloaded on the driver who is probably also pretty shaken up. The only item in my pockets are the house keys and grabbed it in my hand to use it as a weapon against the driver. I pounded on the glass with the key until he rolled it down and used every expletive in my vocabulary on him. I tried to open the door to drag him out but it was obviously locked and that's when my wife pulled me aside to calm me down and asked me to let him go. I asked him to f**** off and get the f**** out of my face before he sloooowly pulled away and drove off. I think if my wife wasn't there, or if anything happened to my son, I would've done much more damage to him and the car.

I probably wasn't the best example for my kids and later on I explained to him that I was so angry and wanted to make sure this driver doesn't hurt any other kids in the future because of his impatience. I guess once you are a parent, something change in you and your reactions becomes autonomous when faced with danger. I seriously treated the driver like an enemy combatant and completely lost myself. I only had similar feelings many many years ago when I went for military training, when we were instilled with the values of leaving no one behind and to always have your brother's back. I guess this is why some soldiers jump on grenades to save their fellow brothers.
This is the second story you've told on RFD where you strike me as overreacting.

recent-pit-pull-mauling-reminded-me-per ... g-2156014/
traderjay wrote: About 4.5 years ago, I almost had to kill one of my neighbor's unleashed dog after it came running towards my wife who is 8 months pregnant. When that dog came running towards us I treated it like an armed enemy combatant.
You need to learn to control your temper.

You need to hold onto your kid properly and/or teach him not to run around in a parking lot.

And, NEVER, EVER, direct traffic or wave them by. That's a huge mistake. Allow individuals to decide on their own about when it is safe to go--this applies whether you are a pedestrian or a driver yourself. The second car behind may have believed it was safe to pass seeing you wave the first one by...but if your kid had run loose as you waved, he could have gotten hit by the first car anyway. Additionally, there may have been other pedestrians popping out from between cars elsewhere that you just waved the car into.

You keep justifying your outrageous, explosive outbursts and here you definitely made errors that put your son in danger.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
You didn't hold on to your own child as a parent in a parking lot and decided to blame a car for stopping in time when your kid darted out suddenly. By blame, meaning taking out an object to use as a weapon and then using it on the vehicle of the other driver as well as trying to open his door to get him out to presumably attack him. It's too bad you tried this on the wrong guy, because if you did on the right guy you would have gotten what you deserved and not be around to make threads about your ridiculous actions.

I can't believe the title of this thread is "What would you do to the driver that nearly ran over your kid in the parking lot?" as if this wasn't 100% your fault. Not to mention these gems "In a parking lot the onus is 100% on the driver", and "It takes an extraordinary amount of effort to get me into a murderous rage". It's too bad you picked on a guy who didn't teach you a lesson, but I hope you get one soon when you try these antics again in future. Please keep us informed with another thread if you're still alive then.

That driver should have made a thread on "What would you do to the parent that let their kid dart out between cars in a parking lot and made me almost run over him?". That driver should have been mad at you and not the other way around. Parent's like you shouldn't have kids.
Last edited by bombdiggity on Jan 22nd, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
peanutz wrote: This is the second story you've told on RFD where you strike me as overreacting.

recent-pit-pull-mauling-reminded-me-per ... g-2156014/

You need to learn to control your temper.

You keep justifying your outrageous, explosive outbursts and here you definitely made errors that put your son in danger.
This made me laugh out loud:
traderjay wrote: If it doesn't turn around after shining a 1200 lumen strobe tactical strobe flashlight with sharpened strike bezel, I will make sure it doesn't live another day.
Looking forward to reading about some idiot getting shot or stabbed to death trying to use a tactical strobe flashlight with sharpened strike bezel when attacking somebody in a rage incident.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
12988 posts
3308 upvotes
Montréal
Bombdiggity dropping them BOMBS lol.

Man, I can't Believe some ppl are actually parents. Jeezus! Rightly or wrongly to fly off the handle like that in front of one's offspring....American History X stuff.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1489 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
So your son ran in front of a moving car in the parking lot? Why didn't you scold him?

It's always other people's fault right?

Dont try that in US. Some people may be carrying a gun and shoot you in self defence.
..
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Bombdiggity dropping them BOMBS lol.

Man, I can't Believe some ppl are actually parents. Jeezus! Rightly or wrongly to fly off the handle like that in front of one's offspring....American History X stuff.
I actually added an edit about people like this shouldn't have kids, just like you said. No wonder it takes an entire village to raise a kid. Everybody has to avoid running over other people's kids because they can't even be bothered to hold the hand of a child properly when in a parking lot where cars are being driven. The worst thing is not even just that this happened, but that he raged, doesn't seem to accept responsibility, and then made a thread about it.

This is the kind of parent that let's their kid run around Home Depot, bumps something that falls on him, then sues Home Depot because it's Home Depot's fault they didn't child proof their warehouse to accommodate unsupervised freely running children.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote: So your son ran in front of a moving car in the parking lot? Why didn't you scold, swear at, and attack yourself?

It's always other people's fault right?

Dont try that in US. Some people may be carrying a gun and shoot you in self defence.
Fixed that for you.

People here carry guns too (just not legally), so he should by all means keep trying it here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 22, 2016
2376 posts
598 upvotes
Ontario
You can't hold onto your son and you blame another driver? Shame on you. You should be thanking the driver for being alert and stopping. You are lucky. Next time don't let go.

Top