Off Topic Archive

Locked: What would you do to the driver that nearly ran over your kid in the parking lot? Almost happened to me *shudder*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 4:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1724 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kenze wrote: Learn proper parenting before blaming others.

your son is badly behaved and you showed him to react violently when others make mistakes. How are you in the right?
Yes thats something I need to work on.
Piro21 wrote: If some random scumbag came up beating on my car window and then tried to physically drag me out of my vehicle I'd definitely run them over in self defense. Just a quick shift into reverse and a turn of the wheel to save my life and that of anyone else in the car. OP is lucky the driver wasn't thinking clearly because of the irresponsible kid that almost caused an accident.
Right I like to randomly go and bang on someone's car to drag the driver out? Try running someone over when you are sandwiched in between two rows of cars and with me standing at the driver side. I don't think a car can move sideways. And what part do you not get that in a parking lot, the pedestrians always have the right of way?
Last edited by traderjay on Jan 22nd, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Dec 30, 2016
84 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
Shaner wrote: Once upon a time I had an anger problem. I even enjoyed the odd fight. Now that I have a kid, I couldn't imagine acting like that, especially in front of him. There's so many ways for that situation to go really bad.

What happens if that guy gets out of the car and now you're in a fight in a parking lot while your son watches. On top of the horrible message that sends, now you're at risk of getting hurt or hurting someone. You're also at risk of criminal charges. Not to mention that your 4 year old is standing in the middle of a parking lot while your attention is turned to fighting. You should be supervising your child, not fighting.

There is a time and a place where violence is either necessary or the best course of action, I'm a firm believer in that, but the situation you were in was far from that. You could have given that driver a piece of your mind for driving too fast in a parking lot while also scolding your son for running in a parking lot. You could also realize that you failed to do your job by allowing it to happen in the first place.
That's what I thought too. It really sent a wrong message to kids if the parents will only blame the others and acting like a maniac in front of them.
Scary stuff.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12737 posts
7668 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hey all! Give the man some credit.....at least he didn't start a new account to post this thread.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 25, 2010
748 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote: Right I like to randomly go and bang on someone's car to drag the driver out? Try running someone over when you are sandwiched in between two rows of cars and with me standing at the driver side. I don't think a car can move sideways. And what part do you not get that in a parking lot, the pedestrians always have the right of way?
Hey man, let me know where you gonna be parked at. I will make sure to stand on the side and as you drive by, I will suddenly jump in front of your car and SUE the * out of you cause I had the right of way. Such an asinine thing to say trying to defend your situation.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1016 posts
573 upvotes
canada
I got a friend who is mad inpatient and drives like an idiot 24/7 night and day. I often accost him for it. Constantly slowing him down.

That being said is it the tigers fault he mauled your child cause ur 4 year old unlocked and ran out the sliding door in ur hut on ur African safari trip?

Its your fault for not seeing that danger. But OP given ur repeated logic it's the tigers fault. You damn well better hold ur child when u have several dozen idiots per square kmok the roads.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1724 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thesick wrote: I got a friend who is mad inpatient and drives like an idiot 24/7 night and day. I often accost him for it. Constantly slowing him down.

That being said is it the tigers fault he mauled your child cause ur 4 year old unlocked and ran out the sliding door in ur hut on ur African safari trip?

Its your fault for not seeing that danger. But OP given ur repeated logic it's the tigers fault. You damn well better hold ur child when u have several dozen idiots per square kmok the roads.
In this case, of course it is my fault for not keeping an eye. But again, a tiger and a driver that chooses to drive fast and accelerate in a busy parking lot is not a fair comparison.
taroslush wrote: Hey man, let me know where you gonna be parked at. I will make sure to stand on the side and as you drive by, I will suddenly jump in front of your car and SUE the F*** out of you cause I had the right of way. Such an asinine thing to say trying to defend your situation.
You are an adult, if you choose to commit fraud by faking an accident then go ahead and be my guest.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17547 posts
1095 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
eonibm wrote: What you should really have done is thanked the driver for braking so quickly and preventing a tragic accident rather than gotten into an uncalled for murderous rage because you could not control your son and he ran in front of a car that was already moving (and likely slower than you think it was). Shame on you. The driver was pretty shaken up and the only reason your son is not in the hospital is because of him. What you did was, quite frankly, despicable. You just made a lucky situation turn into something horrible for the poor driver. I wouldn't have rolled down my window for the maniac you seemed to have become either. He probably thought he'd end up in the hospital because of what you might do.
This. For some reason it does not surprise me that some RFD users are so prone to getting into "murderous rages". Some really unstable people on this forum apparently
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9028 posts
1604 upvotes
Toronto
You are 100 % responsible for your son who does not know any better but you do.
It may have just been the adrenaline but your reaction though understandable was a bit over the top.
Quite possibly you were angry at yourself for not being totally in control at that moment in time.
Such is the ego.
Glad you and your son are OK.
I'm sure the driver of the car is also.
May 25, 2010
748 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote: In this case, of course it is my fault for not keeping an eye. But again, a tiger and a driver that chooses to drive fast and accelerate in a busy parking lot is not a fair comparison.

You are an adult, if you choose to commit fraud by faking an accident then go ahead and be my guest.
Who said anything about fraud? I simply chose to walk in front of your car without looking since I have the right of way, just like your son who chose to run in front of a moving car without looking as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1724 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
taroslush wrote:
Hey man, let me know where you gonna be parked at. I will make sure to stand on the side and as you drive by, I will suddenly jump in front of your car and SUE the F*** out of you cause I had the right of way. Such an asinine thing to say trying to defend your situation.
taroslush wrote: Who said anything about fraud? I simply chose to walk in front of your car without looking since I have the right of way, just like your son who chose to run in front of a moving car without looking as well.
Of course you do, I am not disputing that. You are an adult so if you choose to "stand on the side and as you drive by, I will suddenly jump in front of your car and SUE the F*** out of you cause I had the right of way." then we'll see what court has to say on such actions.

I've encountered pedestrians countless times that fits your description and never had any problems because I know NOT to accelerate in a parking lot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7703 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
radiological wrote: You should find the guy and apologize for your behavior!
Agreed!

OP, you're lucky that the other driver as so attentive and careful. You're even luckier that they didn't have you charged.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1322 upvotes
Where have you been ? It's an on going trend, overprotective parents that think their kids can do no wrong ...aka bad parenting !
You see it everywhere these days, at schools, at peewee baseball games and even with your neighbor's kids ...its called the declining moral of western society to the lowest common denominator !
May 25, 2010
748 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote: Of course you do, I am not disputing that. You are an adult so if you choose to "stand on the side and as you drive by, I will suddenly jump in front of your car and SUE the F*** out of you cause I had the right of way." then we'll see what court has to say on such actions.

I've encountered pedestrians countless times that fits your description and never had any problems because I know NOT to accelerate in a parking lot.
Dude.. you just don't * get it. Let's leave out the part out where pedestrians have the right of way in a parking lot. Your son suddenly ran in front of a moving car. Whether the driver accelerated or not (since I do not take your word for it), it is your own damn fault this happened *
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 22nd, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1937 posts
1231 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
traderjay wrote: And what part do you not get that in a parking lot, the pedestrians always have the right of way?
INCORRECT - (Ontario HTA) Pedestrians do not always have the right of way nor do some drivers (1st vehicle at uncontrolled intersection). Specifically the definition (where ever in the HTA it appears) states that the other party "shall yield the right of way" and until such time as they do you are at risk. It may be semantics, but the fact is that taking the right of way without first being given it will get you killed.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1016 posts
573 upvotes
canada
traderjay wrote: In this case, of course it is my fault for not keeping an eye. But again, a tiger and a driver that chooses to drive fast and accelerate in a busy parking lot is not a fair comparison.

At the very least you now know we have wild tigers on every road that a car menuevers on. Now if your not SUPER vigilant and don't have a iron clad grip on ur child next time after this close call, your wife needs to hire a physically more fit man to be around when her kids are in public around motor vehicles.