Off Topic Archive

Locked: What would you do to the driver that nearly ran over your kid in the parking lot? Almost happened to me *shudder*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 4:48 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1016 posts
573 upvotes
canada
taroslush wrote: Dude.. you just don't F****** get it. Let's leave out the part out where pedestrians have the right of way in a parking lot. Your son suddenly ran in front of a moving car. Whether the driver accelerated or not (since I do not take your word for it), it is your own damn fault this happened cause you're a careless father. Don't go blaming others for your shortcomings in life. I am surprised you found someone that's willingly to breed with a f*** nut like you.
Lol op sure is frustrating people by not acknowledging his blame in the episode.

OP what did ur wife have to say on all this?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24532 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham, ON
say the car was going only 5km hour and nudged your child cause he darted out...

would you feel the same?

i had a similar incident this weekend at walmart in boxgrove...a 7 year darted across as I was going 15km/hr in the parking lot...i slammed on my brake (actually made noise) and was 10m away from the kid....

the father actually looked at me and gestured thank you and sorry.
Last edited by thelefteyeguy on Jan 22nd, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2010
777 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
taroslush wrote: Dude.. you just don't F****** get it. Let's leave out the part out where pedestrians have the right of way in a parking lot. Your son suddenly ran in front of a moving car. Whether the driver accelerated or not (since I do not take your word for it), it is your own damn fault this happened cause you're a careless father. Don't go blaming others for your shortcomings in life. I am surprised you found someone that's willingly to breed with a f*** nut like you.
+1

OP still seems to think what he did was right/ok.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1322 upvotes
Imagine how the kid will be when they becomes parents !

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1725 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
taroslush wrote:
Dude.. you just don't * get it. Let's leave out the part out where pedestrians have the right of way in a parking lot. Your son suddenly ran in front of a moving car. Whether the driver accelerated or not (since I do not take your word for it), it is your own damn fault this happened *.
Colorful language here. Thanks for the comedy.
rcmpvet wrote:
INCORRECT - (Ontario HTA) Pedestrians do not always have the right of way nor do some drivers (1st vehicle at uncontrolled intersection). Specifically the definition (where ever in the HTA it appears) states that the other party "shall yield the right of way" and until such time as they do you are at risk. It may be semantics, but the fact is that taking the right of way without first being given it will get you killed.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08
Thanks for the link. Always learning something new everyday.
thesick wrote:
Lol op sure is frustrating people by not acknowledging his blame in the episode.

OP what did ur wife have to say on all this?
Of course I got an earful for not holding tight enough. I've already stated earlier I am equally to blame for this. But driving fast in a parking lot is another issue.
thelefteyeguy wrote: say the car was going only 5km hour and nudged your child cause he darted out...

would you feel the same?

i had a similar incident this weekend at walmart in boxgrove...a 7 year darted across as I was going 15km/hr in the parking lot...i slammed on my brake (actually made noise) and was 10m away from the kid....

the father actually looked at me and gestured thank you and sorry.
If the car is moving at a constant slow speed and the same happened, I will never be this worked up, and will in fact thank the driver for being attentive. Other parents have thanked me in the same manner.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
May 25, 2010
748 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote: Colorful language here. Thanks for the comedy.

Thanks for the link. Always learning something new everyday.

Of course I got an earful for not holding tight enough. I've already stated earlier I am equally to blame for this. But driving fast in a parking lot is another issue.

If the car is moving at a constant slow speed and the same happened, I will never be this worked up, and will in fact thank the driver for being attentive. Other parents have thanked me in the same manner.
You must be a fool if you think ti's equal blame. It's 100% on you. Even if the car accelerated, how fast do you think it was going in a parking lot? 5 to 30 when there was already a car ahead? You were obviously looking to blame someone for your own mistake. Get real man.. this is all on you for being CARELESS FATHER.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
traderjay wrote: Thank you and this response and it is exactly the reason why I flipped. I am the type that pay extra attention when driving in busy areas, especially malls/schools with kids running around and got honked and cussed multiple times as the car behind me thinks I am an idiot for going at 5km/h. The sound that a car makes when slamming on the brakes at 5km/h and at 40 km/h+ is completely different because I've done that multiple times to avoid kids dashing across streets or in the same situation. As a driver in that situation, it is 100% your responsibility to keep an appropriate speed and not lose patience.

Accident prevention requires the participation of all parties and it is 100% my fault for not holding onto him tight enough. On the other hand, a driver shouldn't accelerate hard in a parking lot to bypass walking pedestrians because of impatience.

Are any 4 year old well behaved, listens 100% to the parent and is fully aware of the surroundings and the danger? This is why I was holding onto him and not letting him run around in the parking lot maze. Yes its 100% my fault for not holding extra firm. Trust me, I've already given him plenty of talks on the danger of running around and not listening after this "incident"

It happened to my son on a few occasions and no I don't storm into the principal's office. I don't mind such things at all because it gives the kids a chance to learn some real life conflict resolution skills. The teacher always explains what happened with a written report. If he started the altercation, I will make him apologize to the classmate and I will apologize to the parent. If the opposite is true, I will explain to him why he got hit and how to diffuse the situation by going to a teacher or telling him to stop. I also teach him to yell out for help or fight back only as the last resort.

I've never employed any of the abusive parenting methods you mentioned and I am always seeking ways to change & improve so I in fact welcome the flaming and criticism. Lastly, I completely disagree with your last statement.
And you conveniently do not acknowledge at all that your actions in approaching the driver were completely irresponsible, an over-reaction, despicable, a bad example to your family and especially your child and actually a criminal assault when instead you should have been getting on your knees and thanking the driver profusely for saving your son's life.

However, I am not surprised given the way you post on here and on other threads. Time for you to take an anger management course and a parenting course.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
When OP is getting a divorce because his wife got fed up with his violent rages against dogs, vehicles, and humans, as well as putting their kid(s) in danger, she's going to bring up incidents like this during the custody battle. Good luck OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
321 upvotes
- As a parent, I can easily say that a 4- or 5-year old can always pull away suddenly if they really wanted to. I'm holding their hand in the parking lot, not applying a kung fu Tiger Claw Grip. That being said, you can only reinforce safety rules each time (kids walk on the inside lane; have the kids identify parked cars with drivers that might back out; make eye contact with all drivers before crossing parking lot lanes, etc.)

- The OP is definitely exaggerating to say the driver "accelerating very quickly" as it just doesn't make sense. Where exactly is he rushing to - the bumper of the car ahead that the OP just waved forward?

- As for the OP, he got extremely lucky. The driver could've accelerated outta there with some psycho pounding at his window with keys as a weapon and trying to open his door, The OP put himself AND his child in danger with his stupidity.
traderjay wrote: I think if my wife wasn't there, or if anything happened to my son, I would've done much more damage to him and the car.
- This part is beyond stupid to me. Sorry, if something happened to my child, my FIRST AND ONLY CONCERN is to see that he/she gets the medical help as soon as possible. It's call priorities.
Last edited by akira1971 on Jan 22nd, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4097 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
eonibm wrote: And you conveniently do not acknowledge at all that your actions in approaching the driver were completely irresponsible, an over-reaction, despicable, a bad example to your family and especially your child and actually a criminal assault when instead you should have been getting on your knees and thanking the driver profusely for saving your son's life.

However, I am not surprised given the way you post on here and on other threads. Time for you to take an anger management course and a parenting course.
This 100%. Being prone to violent rages is not a good trait in anyone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1725 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote: This 100%. Being prone to violent rages is not a good trait in anyone.
Yes indeed, this is my first and my last.

I read every comment here and thank you all for the replies and pointing out to my shortcomings. Always have room to reflect and improve.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Apr 21, 2003
634 posts
27 upvotes
Congratulations!!!

Parent of the year!

And your kid nearly missing out on the the darwin award.
Last edited by numb555 on Jan 22nd, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 26, 2006
700 posts
213 upvotes
traderjay wrote:
So if you are equally to blame for this, then your wife should pick up a weapon and beat the crap out of you.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2353 upvotes
BaboSo wrote: So if you are equally to blame for this, then your wife should pick up a weapon and beat the crap out of you.
Mentally upvoted you for this one. You got a legit LOL out of me here.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
traderjay wrote: Yes indeed, this is my first and my last.

I read every comment here and thank you all for the replies and pointing out to my shortcomings. Always have room to reflect and improve.
Best comment you made in this entire thread. Good luck!