Automotive

What would be your choice for a compact suv?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2016 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 13, 2006
54 posts
2 upvotes

What would be your choice for a compact suv?

There are few cars I would be interested in:

Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost
Hyundai Sentafe 2.0T
VW Tiguan 2.0T

I did the test drive for the Escape and Sentafe , Escape has more responsive acceleration speed, but my friend said that Ford doesn't have good build , I would end up spend a lot of money to fix it .

For Tiguan, I really don't know if I feel confident to buy it after the emission scandal, any opinions?
41 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
New Tiguan? Would go for that for its quietness, Santa Fe is a bigger SUV, not compact. Escape is not bad as well.
May 23, 2007
522 posts
222 upvotes
Kanata
I wouldnt touch any of your choices for obvious reasons. Go honda or toyota. Wow.

catcatcat wrote: There are few cars I would be interested in:

Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost
Hyundai Sentafe 2.0T
VW Tiguan 2.0T

I did the test drive for the Escape and Sentafe , Escape has more responsive acceleration speed, but my friend said that Ford doesn't have good build , I would end up spend a lot of money to fix it .

For Tiguan, I really don't know if I feel confident to buy it after the emission scandal, any opinions?
Banned
Nov 16, 2012
1837 posts
386 upvotes
EAST YORK
If you are leasing, it doesn't really matter. If you are purchasing, do yourself a favour and get a CRV. High re-sale value and easy to sell. Every one of your choices is hard to sell when the time comes, and when it eventually does sell you will lose your shirt on it. The cost of a vehicle is not just what you pay up front. It is price paid for vehicle + maintenance costs - re-sale value. You'd be hard pressed to beat a CRV in that regard.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2006
54 posts
2 upvotes
IMWHFMPC wrote: New Tiguan? Would go for that for its quietness, Santa Fe is a bigger SUV, not compact. Escape is not bad as well.
Thanks for the input .
[OP]
Jul 13, 2006
54 posts
2 upvotes
z613 wrote: I wouldnt touch any of your choices for obvious reasons. Go honda or toyota. Wow.
What are the obvious reason would you mind sharing ?
May 23, 2007
522 posts
222 upvotes
Kanata
Reliability and resale.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4563 posts
2078 upvotes
catcatcat wrote: What are the obvious reason would you mind sharing ?
Every buyer has different priorities. But let me mention just one thing: I recently had a chance to drive a '15 Kia Soul, fully loaded model. My first observation: The Soul seems to have more interior space than the Explorer, and it is way cheaper. How can the Explorer feel so small inside?
Nov 28, 2011
858 posts
372 upvotes
Markham
Oh those 3? Escape easily

Overall? CX-5 or crv
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
catcatcat wrote: There are few cars I would be interested in:

Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost
Hyundai Sentafe 2.0T
VW Tiguan 2.0T

All 3 of those are not known for good build quality or reliability. If you want good build and reliability, look at CR-V, RAV-4 or Rogue before those 3
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1022 posts
562 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Personally quite dislike the Rogue, my parents have had two of them. I quite like the Escape.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18725 posts
2442 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not going to bother recommending anything but just wanted to say...

What good is Reliability & Resale if you don't truly love the choice you've made.

Sometimes you need to take a chance. I did, learned my lesson and I would never buy another GM.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2905 posts
453 upvotes
z613 wrote: Reliability and resale.
I dont know about the reiability part but the santa fes have good resale value.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4087 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
Wouldnt touch a Nissan with a CVT

Nothing wrong with Santa Fe.. sure maybe resale isnt as good, but it's a decent vehicle. Not a compact though, that would be the Tucson.

The new Rav 4 is pretty hideous I think, but whatever, if you like it go for it. I like the Escape looks, but not sure I'd ever buy one. Probably a used one, they depreciate pretty quick.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22136 posts
2805 upvotes
U4IA wrote: Wouldnt touch a Nissan with a CVT
Jeez that is like 8 years old news. Nissan CVT are fine now
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16881 posts
7169 upvotes
I think your choices are not far - the Sante Fe does not fit in with the others in terms of price or size. Instead, it should be the Tucson / Sportage in that spot. If you are comparing the Sante Fe/Sorrento, then you should also consider the slightly bigger SUVs that are in the same class.

That said, my choice out of your list is the Ford. Ford has come a long way with their vehicles and they rate very high in consumer reviews. But you should buy what's best for you - just remember that, for the most part, the reliability between the three vehicles you list is negligible. Instead focus on things like what you like to drive better, what has the options you want, and what has the price point you want to spend.
Aug 13, 2008
311 posts
38 upvotes
Cambridge
I have a 2014 Escape. While it's not completely terrible, it has too many small flaws for me to recommend it. I would pick the CR-V or CX-5. The new 2017 KIA Sportage looks really nice as well and it will probably be reliable, but resale will be worse just because it's a KIA. Your most likely to get a deal from Mazda. When I went to Toyota or Honda dealers they didn't seem to even care that I was there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
Based on Consumer Reports, the top and recommended picks in the class in order of their ranking are:

Subrau Forester
Toyota RAV4
Hyundai Tuson (1.6)
Mazda CX5
Hyundai Tuson (2.0)
Nissan Rouge
VW Tiquan
Honda CR-V
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: