Automotive

What would be your choice for a compact suv?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2016 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9843 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
what about the Q3? Also check out the 2017 VW Tiquan. It looks to be quite sexy.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1026 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
What about the base Porsche Mecan?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4791 posts
235 upvotes
Austin/Markham
macro6 wrote: What about the base Porsche Mecan?
Very poor gas economy.

I'd look at the CRV, RAV4, CX-5 or Subaru foresters. I researched this awhile ago, but there were issues with all the other models I looked at.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3132 posts
1725 upvotes
z613 wrote: I wouldnt touch any of your choices for obvious reasons. Go honda or toyota. Wow.
Honda's quality is trending downhill. Best-overall Small SUV is the Forester.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1826 posts
444 upvotes
Rav4
Forester
HRV or CRV
CX5

Would be my choices.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1826 posts
444 upvotes
+Tuscon - new one looks really nice actually. Not completely sure about Hyundai though.
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
252 upvotes
Kitchener
motomondo wrote: Every buyer has different priorities. But let me mention just one thing: I recently had a chance to drive a '15 Kia Soul, fully loaded model. My first observation: The Soul seems to have more interior space than the Explorer, and it is way cheaper. How can the Explorer feel so small inside?
the escape? interior room is very similar in both, the escape has more cargo space however
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4524 posts
2084 upvotes
Edmonton
george__ wrote: Jeez that is like 8 years old news. Nissan CVT are fine now
Lol, if you mean fine as in terrible shuddering and complete breakdown, then yes, they are fine.

I guess they sell alot since they use them in pretty much everything, so they can't all be bad, but there seems to still be a considerable amounts of complaints on the Nissan forums.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4330 upvotes
U4IA wrote: Lol, if you mean fine as in terrible shuddering and complete breakdown, then yes, they are fine.

I guess they sell alot since they use them in pretty much everything, so they can't all be bad, but there seems to still be a considerable amounts of complaints on the Nissan forums.
What about the new 4 door sports car the Maxima?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2826 posts
932 upvotes
2016 Rav4 Hybrid! I wish I waited for this then getting the 2015 model....
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8798 upvotes
U4IA wrote: Lol, if you mean fine as in terrible shuddering and complete breakdown, then yes, they are fine.

All the complaints I have seen are prior to 2011 - it seems a lot of the more recent ones (last 5 years) receive few complaints.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4524 posts
2084 upvotes
Edmonton
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: What about the new 4 door sports car the Maxima?
No idea, we were looking at the pathfinder which seemed to have it's fair share of complaints. Cvt's have such a weird sense of acceleration, seems sort of unfair in a sporty car. But they still seem to get things up to speed fast enough.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7181 posts
3524 upvotes
Montreal
We are buying a compact SUV for my wife, and we were looking at the Sportage 2017 (very great feedback so far btw), the Tucson and the CX-5.

For the price, and options you get, we decided to go with the Tucson (dealer made us a great offer).
I still think the CX-5 is the top compact SUV, but the Tucson is definitely not far off. Keep an eye on the new Sportage though, a great contender this year.

CX-5 vs Tucson
http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparison ... dai-tucson

Sportage 2017
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... rtage_2017
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20999 posts
5504 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Rav4 or CRV.

The Sportage AWD equipped with the 2.0l turbo gets 20/23! Think twice before buying it in awd form! You will be seeing your local gas station more often than you think!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37372 posts
23435 upvotes
Center of Universe
sandikosh wrote: Rav4 or CRV.

The Sportage AWD equipped with the 2.0l turbo gets 20/23! Think twice before buying it in awd form! You will be seeing your local gas station more often than you think!
Ouch and that's just the EPA ratings and I imagine real world figures to be higher.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10085 posts
962 upvotes
Toronto
Toyota Rav 4 for reliabiliy
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9916 posts
1862 upvotes
Montreal, QC
george__ wrote: Jeez that is like 8 years old news. Nissan CVT are fine now
If you haven't noticed, RFD's preconceptions when it comes to cars all seem to date from a few decades ago or something.