None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto

What would your next build be?

I'm working a ton of over time because I have nothing else going on anyways so may as well do it.

That said, I would like to build another PC around the end of the year. If you had say $1700-$2000 for a new build what would you do?

As far as what I can use from my current build, that would be a couple HDDs I use just got storage and a 120gb Samsung evo SSD.

I would like support for 4K video and maybe 4K gaming, but a gtx770 can't cut it with 4K gaming obviously even with the 4gb model.

That said, with that budget in mind what would you build? Not sure if I'm going to go with a mITX case this time around or not, all I know is I will likely want this one running on my 60" 4K tv...
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33708 posts
7353 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I'm not building another system until NVMe is supported natively on the motherboard with speeds of 30 MByte per second

Won't be Canonlake but possibly the generation afterwards

Until then, my Ivy Bridge will have to do
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I'm not building another system until NVMe is supported natively on the motherboard with speeds of 30 MByte per second

Won't be Canonlake but possibly the generation afterwards

Until then, my Ivy Bridge will have to do
See this is what I'm thinking as well, I currently have an i7 950 @ 3.02ghz with a gtx 770 4gb, 8gb ram and everything else is SSD, HDDs etc and it seems to be fine but the newest games need to be scaled back but only a bit. Maybe there still is no point. I am looking to get into VR at some point but I think current hardware isn't optimized too well for VR compared to what could be around say next year...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: If your current computer does everything you need, then don't upgrade.
For now it does, I can't add anything else as I lost all of my cables to the PSU (which is a 1000W corsair, a new set is about $120.00).

Other thing is is this CPU can't handle even a basic over clock it will always be unstable no matter what which really sucks.

Maybe a new ultra wide monitor would be more suitable for me for now... Looking at the LG UltraWide monitors as well.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: For now it does, I can't add anything else as I lost all of my cables to the PSU (which is a 1000W corsair, a new set is about $120.00).

Other thing is is this CPU can't handle even a basic over clock it will always be unstable no matter what which really sucks.

Maybe a new ultra wide monitor would be more suitable for me for now... Looking at the LG UltraWide monitors as well.
If I found a used gtx770 would it be worth buying in order to SLI it?
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3694 posts
190 upvotes
Montreal
I'm not a big fan of re-using components, or SLI. I guess re-using mechanical drives for storage is fine.

I would get a nvme SSD, go mini-itx. Video card, just get whatever you need for what you want to do. RX480 looks pretty tempting. 1700$ is a lot of money for a new build - I would think you could go under 1000$ plus whatever videocard you decide to add. Of course, if you want 4K gaming, you will need a GTX1080 for current games.

I suppose people on Ontario have HST to content with , that jacks up the price 8% or so... Quebec master race!
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I wouldn't bother with SLI, a single new video card would run circles around SLI 770s.
Good to know thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3855 posts
1056 upvotes
All I know is I am gonna go with a mITX build for sure . I kind of like the small footprint of the format . Will keep my existing i5 2500k + r9 280x build for a while tho.... Unless the new gen video cards are significantly more quiet.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3220 posts
1772 upvotes
Burlington
Here's my next build, just waiting on the price of the GTX 1080 to hover around the MRSP.

CPU: i7 6700k
Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VIII
Cooler: GTX H100i
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512gb and Samsung 850 Pro 1Tb as a backup
GFX: Gtx 1080 - Not sure the brand yet
Case: Corsair 780T
PSU: EVGA 850W
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
At that price, I'd be looking at an i7 6700k, the cheapest motherboard that can overclock, 16GB of the cheapest DDR4 I can find, Samsung Pro SSD in whatever size I need (personally, 256GB), GTX1070, random PSU in the 650w area.

Videocard/CPU would probably eat up much of that budget, but it'd be a pretty good machine.

Wonder what you have now, because if you have an i7 already, the 6700k won't be much faster. If you have a working PC, you might as well get a new videocard and just leave everything else alone.

By the end of the year, available videocards will have changed a lot as well, and AMD's Zen might actually be good. I am holding out for Zen, AMD can't suck forever ... I hope.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11016 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: At that price, I'd be looking at an i7 6700k, the cheapest motherboard that can overclock, 16GB of the cheapest DDR4 I can find, Samsung Pro SSD in whatever size I need (personally, 256GB), GTX1070, random PSU in the 650w area.

Videocard/CPU would probably eat up much of that budget, but it'd be a pretty good machine.

Wonder what you have now, because if you have an i7 already, the 6700k won't be much faster. If you have a working PC, you might as well get a new videocard and just leave everything else alone.

By the end of the year, available videocards will have changed a lot as well, and AMD's Zen might actually be good. I am holding out for Zen, AMD can't suck forever ... I hope.
My i7 seems to be a bottleneck for the GTX 770, cup will hit 100% when gaming but not the GPU... Or it's the other way around I can't remember right now.

Not going to do a new build for awhile I guess
Jun 8, 2012
476 posts
2 upvotes
HAMILTON
I would suggest getting a few components that u can put into ur next build like a nvme SSD with the pci-e adapter. If ur corsair psu isn't too old I would consider looking to buy new cables, or look for them in different forums similar to this 1.

If u think ur cooling can be improved a fair bit, get a better cpu cooler. The Corsair H80i comes to mind.

Getting a better monitor or 2 would be a good upgrade .

Going from a 1366 to a 2011e would c a pretty big gain in performance, lots of them out there for sale now at more reasonable prices.

I prefer EVGA or Asus for gpus, but not if a decent deal comes along.

Do you have a sound card, or if not a set of headphones for when ur gaming? That's another option.

Consider getting a 980-980 ti as those r selling for pretty cheap compared to new. These can be upgraded any time without issues.

Is ur case sufficient? Enough fans, usb3.0...

By the time u get to build a new rig the cost won't be as much that way, and performance will improve when adding newer more efficient components.

Just some things to consider

Good luck !

FF
:)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
What would I do?
Dual Xeon E5s with 128GB or 256GB RAM and RAM drive. Or maybe 512GB but that's a bit much in terms of dollar value.
Back it with maybe 4 SSDs so I can load the RAM drive quickly on boot.

Then Infiniband it back to my server for actual storage.

Shove it all in a 4U with a GPU for those times I game and a couple other GPUs for multi monitor.

Then sit back and laugh at everyone else's write speeds and IOPS.

None of that makes sense to anyone but me, but you asked what I would do.

Oh and a UPS so I don't lose everything before it gets flushed to my RAID of SSDs.